Thread: How do you find business logic to use?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do you find business logic to use?

I am Ti, and I find business logic way too easy in some ways, and way too challenging in others. E.g., I want to run my own e-business - easy: calculating how much profit I have to make per item and how many items I have to sell to meet my needs - this is essentially a grade school math problem for me. Hard: learning all the rules, terminology, and conventions. I would compare it to learning a foreign language or a complicated board game like Dungeons and Dragons: two things I have stunk it up like crazy at in the past. In other words, I find the mathematical side easy as hell, and learning the vocabulary brutally hard (the latter being something that might take years to learn...).

Anyway, I'd like to hear how other people use it...

Jason
    Last edited by jason_m; 01-23-2015 at 06:23 AM.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to be a boring Boris and not bring Socionics into this:

What do you mean "conventions, rules, terminology"? Do you mean stuff like "EBIT", "Equity", "Minimum Viable Product", etc.?

My theory is that you're good at the maths part because you've done maths since you were 5. It's a basic process. You don't know those other terms because you've not done accounting or start-up-talk as frequently. If you audited business for the next five years you'd know EBIT like the back of your hand.

Okay, Boris is gone:

LII => holographic thinking, so you dislike thinking about the details. Maths is a nice structure because everything falls out logically from the initial set-up of Profit = Revenue - Costs. Vocab and learning stuff is more for the vortex people. I'm still leaning towards Boris, though.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My theory is that I've always liked math, because math is essentially a Ti thing: it is all about logic, analysis, and abstraction. Things like conventions and terminology fit more nicely with Te for me - if Te is essentially about facts, procedures, and algorithms, then it would be based almost entirely on convention and terminology, and less on logic, analysis, and theory. What I was trying to say is that business logic is heavy on convention and terminology (i.e., learning a language), and light on analysis and inference (i.e., learning math or science). That's why I struggle with it (although there are other possibilities here...) Another possibility I've thought of is that Ti focuses more on principles, while Te focuses more on factual information. I've really thought about it to the point that I've speculated that a Te-ego is almost going through a checklist in their mind when their processing information, while a Ti-ego is trying to elucidate the underlying principles, perhaps "connecting the dots" through logical inference. Therefore, a Te-valuing type would feel lost talking to someone Ti, because of an emphasis on reasoning and a lack of factual detail: "Where are the facts and why does this matter? (to Te)" A Ti type would get lost in a thicket of detail wondering what the underlying principle is, when the logic is more in the factual information itself than the overall point they're trying to make: "What do these facts illustrate logically (to Ti)?" (Again this is just one possibility amongst many...)
    Last edited by jason_m; 01-23-2015 at 11:15 AM.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I find business logic easy enough to use but it usually bores me. Also I find it far easier to think about systems in my head than to actually implement them.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have tended to resist stuff like this because it adds a lot of unnecesary garbage that isn't helpful. I do find that learning why some terms came about helps me use them without feeling resistant to the information, because then it becomes a system.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you mean by business logic? I take that as "logic related to business matters", in which case problems get a bit more complex than just putting words to titles. It's about all this stuff happening and you want to achieve something. What's the most effective way to do it. It's also not an optimisation question (which is a Ti thing, imo) because you have to guesstimate some of the parameters.

Anyway, as a Ti-dominant I similarly dislike or don't bother learning the words and also similarly find the maths easier than others. I'm the worst at memorising details or important facts which back up or illustrate my point. Not sure if then Te-types are good at it, though. That being said, a lot can be systemized. Especially in economics, a single word "Bundling" can capture an entire theory or explanation, and that's pretty Ti, Vortex thinking-y.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, I always thought that kind of terminology was a Fe or Se matter. Anyway, you don't need to know any kind of terminology to run a business - you essentially just need to keep on selling products at some price above their cost.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Funny, I always thought that kind of terminology was a Fe or Se matter. Anyway, you don't need to know any kind of terminology to run a business - you essentially just need to keep on selling products at some price above their cost.
    That's not necessarily true. You can hire people who know all that kind of stuff, but if you prefer to have some sort of intelligent control over your business, you need to know your processes.