Thread: The Overly Sentimental Art Thread

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Overly Sentimental Art Thread

I consider myself to be a sentimental person, I cry listening to some music, sometimes I tear up on the greeting card aisle, I have trouble parting with clothes, etc that loved ones have given me.

So I think it is interesting that I have a violent dislike of certain art that I consider overly sentimental, even though I might agree with the sentiment being depicted: maternal love, gentle behavior, beauty of nature, etc.

Is this a quadra-related issue? Betas, do you have the same reaction to this kind of art?

DISLIKE:

LIKE:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Iris; 01-12-2015 at 10:02 PM.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DISLIKE:

LIKE:

Last edited by Iris; 01-12-2015 at 09:52 PM.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DISLIKE:

LIKE:

Last edited by Iris; 01-12-2015 at 10:02 PM.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DISLIKE:

LIKE:

Last edited by Iris; 01-12-2015 at 09:56 PM.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS Why are my pics so small? Help @Park
    @Park Thanks for helping me adjust them. Now they are probably too big, but I like it better.
    Last edited by Iris; 01-12-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lol, it doesn't even register for me as sentimental. It's like I look at it, and just want to look at something else. It's like furniture.

What kind of art/aesthetic do usually like instead?
    Last edited by suedehead; 01-12-2015 at 05:32 PM.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suedehead View Post
    Lol, it doesn't even register for me as sentimental. It's like I look at it, and just want to look at something else. It's like furniture.

What kind of art/aesthetic do usually like instead?
    Ok, I will go back and add contrasting art that I do like.

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Oops, reverse the like and dislike of images for me. You can still have my like of your post though,

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dislike :

(Romanticism in visual art, in general - that's overly sentimental and melancholy to me ... despite any purely artistic value)

Like:

(anti-sentimentalism par excellence)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dislike:

("oooh, let this bunch of vague impressions about nature and far-away emotions blur my heart")

>>> I usually associate this kind of images with Si, especially if the object of art is nature ..it's as if sensation were filtered through some "inner lense"; it's not raw.

Last edited by Amber; 01-12-2015 at 07:37 PM.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Iris: I don't have the authorization to edit your posts, so you'll have to do it by yourself.

1) If you're getting your pics online, just paste their links inside [IMG][/IMG] tags or use the "From URL" option inside the image uploader, instead of uploading them from your computer/tablet/smartphone as attachments.

2) If you're pulling them from your computer, first upload them to a hotlinking website (e.g. imgur or flickr) and then post the direct links here. Make sure you uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" checkbox if you're using the image uploader.

PM me if you need additional assistance.
    Last edited by Park; 01-12-2015 at 09:22 PM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Sienna

I like both of your dislikes! Especially the dude on the mountain top. Your likes are too spare feeling...

TIM
    INTp ILI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think there are mistypes abound. Hrrm. :C I don't know how to fix this. The people that hate myself are not I. The people that like myself are like myself. Where is an ESTp when you need one. He'd sort this mess out and assert for me. :S

Now, know this. The subtitle for the IEI is the romanticist. Beethoven was IEI. Overpowering feelings are beta. ESTp is Teddy! Rough riders and all that, the thirst for adventure. We enjoy having our feelings pushed around, and such. We do not like having our feelings demeaned. Such would lead to depression in a beta. Intense depression. Facts? None, but Ni doesn't call for facts, does it?

TIM
    INTp ILI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nor does Fe, Se, or Ti. I checked. If you want to confirm that, use your google.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

I like:

2nd post 2nd pic
    3rd post both pics
    4th post 2nd pic

9th post both pics
    10th post both pics

dont like the others

whatever thats worth ...anyway clearly some of the pics were boring to me too just like to OP just not all of them

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alomoes View Post
    I still think there are mistypes abound. Hrrm. :C I don't know how to fix this. The people that hate myself are not I. The people that like myself are like myself. Where is an ESTp when you need one. He'd sort this mess out and assert for me. :S

Now, know this. The subtitle for the IEI is the romanticist. Beethoven was IEI. Overpowering feelings are beta. ESTp is Teddy! Rough riders and all that, the thirst for adventure. We enjoy having our feelings pushed around, and such. We do not like having our feelings demeaned. Such would lead to depression in a beta. Intense depression. Facts? None, but Ni doesn't call for facts, does it?
    Oh deer! Ni transcends facts... now go forth, be fruitful, and multiply.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"