Thread: The thread where you talk about your sense of smell, and such things that pertain thereof

Creepy-female

Default The thread where you talk about your sense of smell, and such things that pertain thereof

Last edited by female; 07-09-2015 at 05:41 AM.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Rotten tooth maybe. Gum disease. Infection. Chronic halitosis. There's a few reasons it could be, and they're not necessarily related to a person's hygiene (though it could be, or perhaps they just have a poor brushing technique or don't use a tongue scraper when they should).

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    For the few reasons you mentioned, could it be they are sick in some way?
    Well, if you get a sinus infection, as it clears it typically drains through your cheeks. If you have a problem with your teeth to begin with, it can cause an infection. That's just one example of a multitude of possibilities.

I don't know what would be comorbid with bad teeth, other than possible indications of substance abuse or an eating disorder. Even past use can leave permanent, long-term damage. @Suz would be best at fielding medical questions of that nature.
    Last edited by Capitalist Pig; 01-09-2015 at 02:52 AM.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe...also they just ate something. That something might not be agreeing with their system.
    I had a bf that ate tons of garlic, and the slightest bit of sweat was...ew.
    I knew another guy who sweated so much, he was constantly layered with ..like..salt. I couldn't stand touching him. But for him I think it was due to drugs.
    Which brings to mind medications can also cause some funky smells too.

As for smelling sickness, my cat normally has a sweet smeel to her, i love it. But I know when she's getting sick because she starts to smell musty. This means she's holding fluid in her lungs again. The musty smell might be from her not feeling well and so hiding in an area that also happens to be musty. (Which i'm sure isnt good for her lungs.)

And R sometimes gets a ...sour milk...smell. Not his mouth, his body. I don't know why it happens...yet. The first time it happened, it was so bad for a few weeks that i made him go see a dr...who gave me funny looks as I tried to describe it. *sigh*
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Eating bad eggs can give you sulfur burps. Those are the worst. If they're really bad, they give you gas, too.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Men have a worse sense of smell than women. This is a good thing.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know what google is? Or are you just a fucking moron playing it safe? I'm sorry, maybe you were just bored.
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'm not really sure where I'm going with this.

I've always had an excellent sense of smell, to the point where it made situations uncomfortable, for example if a house smelled badly and strongly I'd be gagging constantly, or public restrooms I'd just outright vomit.

But the really specific question I have at the moment is, have you ever had the experience of like catching a whiff of someone's breath and you can like smell down the back of their throat, like they have really bad tonsil bits or something? The other day I was in a room full of people and occasionally I'd catch this whiff of putrification. What is that?
    I notice smells like that and it is very distracting to me.

A relative has gum disease. Despite all her attentions, water pick, floss, toothpaste, mouthwash, chewing gum, etc her breath is always bad.

Another relative had a very clean, tidy house that always had a strange almost mildewy smell. Her breath had the same smell. Their clothes had a hint of the same smell when you hugged them. They would make homemade candy at Christmas and bring it to us and I could taste the funky house smell in the candy. She was always meticulously groomed and her house was immaculately clean, but her beautiful home had that odd smell. She died of cancer about 10 years ago. Her husband still lives in the same house, but it no longer has that strange smell. It was like the smell was Her.
    Last edited by Iris; 01-09-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chriscorey View Post
    Do you know what google is? Or are you just a fucking moron playing it safe? I'm sorry, maybe you were just bored.
    Was it you that stated they have asperger's syndrome? I'm genuinely curious.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a lot of really bad breath is caused by tonsil stones aka tonsilloliths when people have brushed their teeth properly, don't have anything like gum disease, and haven't eaten anything that would give them bad breath. Is that what you meant by tonsil bits?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Was it you that stated they have asperger's syndrome? I'm genuinely curious.
    Me too, but apparently I only have aspergers on the internet, or so it seems ...

-Krishna

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, I just wanted to talk to actual people rather than Yahoo Answers or fucking Google.

http://scholar.google.com/

-Krishna

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My sense of touch is more pervasive and annoying. I always feel every little itch, pain, irritation, on my skin. Cold weather is the worst... Smells are blocked out to me unless it's really strong and someone points it out to me. I might as well not have a sense of smell.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too, but apparently I only have aspergers on the internet, or so it seems ...
    Ahh, I see, and yes it did seems.

Banned
    TIM
    f a g g o t
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All my favorite smells are also unfortunately classifiable as inhalants, though I don't abuse them like so.

Though there was that scent that used to permeate the basement, to which I took a liking. It's gone now.

The outdoor scents that come with change of season and temperature never completely leave.

His question seems far too specific to be answered by a Google search.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'm not really sure where I'm going with this.

I've always had an excellent sense of smell, to the point where it made situations uncomfortable, for example if a house smelled badly and strongly I'd be gagging constantly, or public restrooms I'd just outright vomit.

But the really specific question I have at the moment is, have you ever had the experience of like catching a whiff of someone's breath and you can like smell down the back of their throat, like they have really bad tonsil bits or something? The other day I was in a room full of people and occasionally I'd catch this whiff of putrification. What is that?
    It's the power of pine-sol!

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like to ignore odors because i'm dead inside? i really just kind of ignore them... the world of smell, it's in another universe, the one where dogs interpret reality (and that isn't meant as an insult, but as admiration of dogs because of their sense of reality and how they know things i don't know... i want in their brains)

anyway, it's more than ignoring but simply rarely noticing... unless there's an anomaly... then i tend to notice, unless i'm tired, which i often am and so there isn't anything to spare for this sense. it's probably sad.