Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nicene Creed

I want to learn this well in Latin (dh is teaching me) and with the chant ("Mode 3"). Dh is a big help with pronunciation, and I want to get the chant down.

So I found a couple of nice "Mode 3" Gregorian chants which I will post below. Its so beautiful. I hear it at Mass and on TV and I have been longing to learn it. So I am working on it.

I also found a funny video posted at the bottom.

DH and I read everyday throughout advent season about St. Nick. What impressed up most was when he slapped Arius at the Nicene Council. In front of Constantine - and it was illegal to slap anyone in front of the emperor. Here is the story (its short):http://www.stnicholascenter.org/page...oses-his-cool/

I also just found funny St. Nick punching posters (scroll down to see them):
    http://www.stpeterslist.com/11939/wh...n-st-nicholas/

Here is a beautiful, beautiful Gregorian chant of the Nicene Creed in Latin:

The Nicene Creed
    WE BELIEVE in one God,
    the Father, the Almighty,
    maker of heaven and earth,
    of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
    the only Son of God,
    eternally begotten of the Father,
    God from God, Light from Light,
    true God from true God,
    begotten, not made,
    of one Being with the Father.
    Through him all things were made.

For us and for our salvation
    he came down from heaven:
    by the power of the Holy Spirit
    he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
    and was made man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
    he suffered death and was buried.
    On the third day he rose again
    in accordance with the Scriptures;
    he ascended into heaven
    and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
    and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
    who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
    With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
    He has spoken through the Prophets.
    We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
    We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
    We look for the resurrection of the dead,
    and the life of the world to come.

Amen.

Above is the Creed. But here is a spoof on a "revised" version of the Creed for atheists and unbelievers:

"A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gloria in excelsis Deo

Also I am learning this (Its so beautiful!):

"A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

That's so nice

And, Merry Christmas to me
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lord's Prayer in Chant

This is the first Latin I learned; I have this one down. But i want to learn to chant it in this chant:

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I actually love listening to some choral and mystic chant music.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I actually love listening to some choral and mystic chant music.

Thanks Aylen. I had not heard of her. Her music sounds "modern" - or maybe African - but I looked her up, and see she was German and died in 1179! Hildegard is a new one to me! I see she is a mystic (so it really is "mystic chant music", like you said), which is always interesting in a Saint, so I am reading on her now. Starting on this page: http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bio/247.html

Also this has paintings and poem: http://sfmosaic.wordpress.com/2010/1...rd-von-bingen/ (I guess there is a lot out there on her!)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Thanks Aylen. I had not heard of her. Her music sounds "modern" - or maybe African - but I looked her up, and see she was German and died in 1179! Hildegard is a new one to me! I see she is a mystic (so it really is "mystic chant music", like you said), which is always interesting in a Saint, so I am reading on her now. Starting on this page: http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bio/247.html

Also this has paintings and poem: http://sfmosaic.wordpress.com/2010/1...rd-von-bingen/ (I guess there is a lot out there on her!)
    Hildegard says that she first saw "The Shade of the Living Light" at the age of three, and by the age of five she began to understand that she was experiencing visions.[16] She used the term 'visio' to this feature of her experience, and recognized that it was a gift that she could not explain to others. Hildegard explained that she saw all things in the light of God through the five senses: sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch.[17] Hildegard was hesitant to share her visions, confiding only to Jutta, who in turn told Volmar, Hildegard's tutor and, later, secretary.[18] Throughout her life, she continued to have many visions, and in 1141, at the age of 42, Hildegard received a vision she believed to be an instruction from God, to "write down that which you see and hear."[19] Still hesitant to record her visions, Hildegard became physically ill. The illustrations recorded in the book of Scivias were visions that Hildegard experienced, causing her great suffering and tribulations.[20] In her first theological text, Scivias ("Know the Ways"), Hildegard describes her struggle within:

But I, though I saw and heard these things, refused to write for a long time through doubt and bad opinion and the diversity of human words, not with stubbornness but in the exercise of humility, until, laid low by the scourge of God, I fell upon a bed of sickness; then, compelled at last by many illnesses, and by the witness of a certain noble maiden of good conduct [the nun Richardis von Stade] and of that man whom I had secretly sought and found, as mentioned above, I set my hand to the writing. While I was doing it, I sensed, as I mentioned before, the deep profundity of scriptural exposition; and, raising myself from illness by the strength I received, I brought this work to a close – though just barely – in ten years. (...) And I spoke and wrote these things not by the invention of my heart or that of any other person, but as by the secret mysteries of God I heard and received them in the heavenly places. And again I heard a voice from Heaven saying to me, 'Cry out therefore, and write thus!'[21]
    I was given the "Vision" cd about 8 years ago and became fascinated with her story. I read everything I could find. One of the most fascinating things about her is that had she not been approved by the Pope she would have probably been seen as some kind of heretic. If she had been born a century later she most likely would have been hanged or burned at the stake for being a witch during the burning times. To me it shows that she probably had amazing powers of persuasion.

There were probably thousands of women during the "burning times" killed for having the same abilities as Hildagard. The difference is that they did not have the Pope sanctify them.

Her visions being accepted as holy probably had a lot to do with her coming from a upper class religious family.

Saint Hildegard was born in 1098 in West Franconia, Germany, into a wealthy clan. As part of the Benedictine faith she later established her own convent in Rupertsberg, taking on evangelical work as well. Having renowned visions, she was also a poet, composer and science/history writer. Hildegard, who died in Rupertsberg on September 17, 1179, was officially recognized as a saint by the Pope in 2012.
    She had so many opportunities that other women, of her time, didn't have. I would love to go back in time and meet her.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Listening to the CD again made me start to wonder if a lot of the women, and men, accused of witchcraft were EIE, IEI, IEE, or EII.

YWIMW

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was given the "Vision" cd about 8 years ago and became fascinated with her story.

It really is interesting music and its fascinating that because of the notation we can listen to it as she intended it when she created it. It is very unique!

I read everything I could find. One of the most fascinating things about her is that had she not been approved by the Pope she would have probably been seen as some kind of heretic. If she had been born a century later she most likely would have been hanged or burned at the stake for being a witch during the burning times. To me it shows that she probably had amazing powers of persuasion.

There were probably thousands of women during the "burning times" killed for having the same abilities as Hildagard. The difference is that they did not have the Pope sanctify them.

Her visions being accepted as holy probably had a lot to do with her coming from a upper class religious family.
    "Burning times" aren't over. There is a lot of evil in the world. There are more Christian martyrs around the world today than any other time.

I think her acceptance would have had more had to do with St. Bernard of Clairvaus, who taught her. There have always been mystics and visionaries, and always will be - and also far more fake ones than real ones! Most visionaries are greeted with disbelief, even famous ones like Padre Pio were banned for a time though overwhelmingly the witness of the people said such mystics were holy, such as miracles resulting from their prayers. Padre Pio bi-located regularly and would help people in confession by telling them the sins they forgot. He was so popular the Church suspended him while they investigated him. The Church tends to greet its Saints with skepticism and does not make life easy for them while they try to disprove them! To gain approval of the Church it begins with approval from the local bishop, and then all things submitted to the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome and that's a long thorough process of inquiry. An inquisitiion! (Because just becaseu one can bring or "do" miracles does not prove they are of God). One can be poor and simple or rich and be a real mystic (usually the former; it takes real character to resist the temptations that go along with riches).

Also today there are mystics and fake mystics. One approved by the church I love is Ann A Lay Apostle. She has approval of her local bishop (that is just the start and if they don't have that after a time its real questionable) and all her writings have been submitted and found to be free of any doctrinal error. Thats a lot because those who approve are die-hard skeptics! It has to be perfect for them to say, "Yes, this might be from God, but we are not saying so" - which is pretty much the most approval one can get.

She had so many opportunities that other women, of her time, didn't have. I would love to go back in time and meet her.
    Yeah, many of the opportunities come from being well-born. But there were plenty of well-born women who did not use their advantages to any good!

As a mystic its possible she got to go back in time and meet people if God allows. My favorite mystic of all time is one who saw and described the gospels as they happened - because Jesus brought her there. Its my greatest treasure! Also this week I was reading this story about Therese Neumann - who got to see all kinds of people from distant and ancient past that she would like to meet, going back in time - or them coming forward in time, not sure which - and speaking with them in their time's language - with the gift of Pentacost, having never learned the languages herself, whe was able to understand and speak the many different languages. And she remembered all that was told her - in those languages - and could repeat it back. That link shows the words of the language experts who came from all over to evaluate her.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    "Burning times" aren't over. There is a lot of evil in the world. There are more Christian martyrs around the world today than any other time.
    I like that you have researched her. She was an amazing woman.

Is there a Modern Burning Times?

Many Wiccans, Witches, and Pagans, state that the Burning Times are still here, and point to instances of prejudice, intolerance, and even violence, against Pagans. Of course, such action against Pagans is certainly unacceptable. However, many Pagans will often extend the term "Burning Times" to anyone who would raise objections, or questions about their beliefs. I do not feel that this is fair and think that everyone should have the freedom to disagree in areas of belief, but to do so in a fair and respectful manner. If any group of people are allowed to go unchecked then unacceptable behaviour and practices would be the order of the day in each and every situation and chaos would result. Indeed, even Pagans themselves will acknowledge that there are even unscrupulous Pagan groups that need to be challenged. For example:

"Not every group that claims to be Wiccan is competent or ethical. Some groups may be sexually exploitative or use drugs or wine irresponsibly. Some have authoritarian leaders who can fully live up to the popular image of a "cult" in terms of mind control and exploitative labor. Some practice baneful or coercive magic, bringing the inevitable psychological and karmic rebounds to participants. There are lots of ways for covens to be rotten, and slipshod practitioners are also less cautious about working with kids. Your young friend may fall prey to them." (Chas S. Clifton (ed.), Modern Rites of Passage: Witchcraft Today, Book Two, 1994, p. 95).
    The "burning times" I was referring to was the actual witch hunts. In the modern world very few are burned for witchcraft. I saw a documentary recently where children are accused of witchcraft still in parts of Africa. It was so sad. I will see if I can find a link.

The period popularly known by Pagans of all persuasions as "The Burning Times", is the period in history which began roughly in the thirteenth century, and reached its height in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. During this time, the established Church committed terrible atrocities against those who were suspected of Witchcraft. The murder of anyone is bad enough but when such things are done in the name of God, that act becomes particularly grievous and disturbing. Jesus Himself prophetically saw such a day when He said: "...a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering a service to God." (John 16:2).
    The Burning Times were therefore a sad reality of history. However, it was not true Christians that persecuted those accused of Witchcraft, as they were persecuted themselves, by an evil and apostate Church masquerading under the banner of Christianity. Even those who fitted the more expected idea of what a Witch was, were often not real Witches, certainly not in the modern sense of the word. Are the Burning Times still here? Wherever people use religion as a mask for violence and evil you will also find those who fall victim to the Burning Times.
    This is not the type of site I use for research usually but I thought you could relate better to this site than some of the others I have used?

http://www.spotlightministries.org.uk/burningtimes.htm

Here is a controversial Canadian documentary on the subject. It has been dismissed by some due to some inaccuracies but I like to think that people can see past the facts, that are in dispute, and get the essence of what they are saying.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/burning_times/

http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_burn1.htm
    Last edited by Aylen; 01-09-2015 at 07:12 PM.

YWIMW