Seriously Judicious Emotivist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Aspergers and feelings

"Theory finds that individuals with Asperger’s Syndrome don’t lack empathy – in fact if anything they empathize too much"

Good article: https://seventhvoice.wordpress.com/2...hize-too-much/
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent article. I think there's a lot of merit to that idea, based on people I've known w Asperger's (or maybe they were misdiagnosed Highly Sensitive Persons... I wonder how much overlap there is).

On a somewhat related note: I worked with a guy who, at 18 years old, had come to work in sales because he had Asperger's and wanted to learn to interact with people more smoothly. Talk about a trial by fire! It was remarkable he was hired at all, but he was, and he really made something of the experience -- he improved, I noticed, in the few months I worked with him. In any event, I thought it was very brave of him to do that, given how terrified he clearly was.

Word Definition Warrior – WDW Troll Nr 007's Avatar
    TIM
    H-ILE-Ne 7w6-2w1-1w9
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we listen Simon Baron-Cohen it is not about feeling it is about manipulating them hence in terms of socionics having good enough F.
    It discards analyzing objectively mental states which means troubles with Fi not Fe.

Lack of sympathy is not part of autism spectrum but lack of empathy is. I think lots of alpha NTs fit in. I most definitely experience sympathy quite intensely but rarely act on it.
    The more you read clearer it gets that Te Fi valuers try to appreciate empathy thing where as FeTi people are more of analyzers. In fact I often analyze people for Fe egos but for me it is entirely systematic process. Even an EII has started to respect this side in me. It wasn't easy, though.

I would have passed Theory of Mind test as a child.

However my conclusions were based on logic (something like this: every human has their own eyes and movements and therefore an object that do not catch their eyes in the situation won't be registered by them = PASS). I don't really know how on earth Fi ego figures this thing out.

Maybe I'm autistic but I can emulate Fi conclusions.
    Last edited by Troll Nr 007; 02-24-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah... so what's the defining line between someone who is aspergers and someone who is "normal" then?

What's it supposed to be exactly?

I've wondered if I might be autistic, but I have a very strong theory of mind, strong empathy; I have some strong friendships that happen naturally. What I lack is mirroring someone's emotions; someone that communicates with a lot of Fe makes me uncomfortable. I feel like they want me to participate with them in what they feel, but I can't; and its created an anxiety where I feel fear when someone gives me too much eye contact, doesn't let me have my own emotions separate from their own.

Am I autistic? I am pretty weird...I don't even identify with my gender. I hate the fact that people expect me to express certain emotions that I don't feel naturally.

TIM
    H-ILE-Ne 7w6-2w1-1w9
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is kind of hard for me to see where you need empathy to not do harm. For instance sympathetic reaction already tells me for example not to kill others where as for others it is empathy.
    It is also said that I want to be liked. It is kind of true but I don't want push negativity to others either. It makes me very uncomfortable. So, I tend to control these situations with odd humor/sarcasm where total sum of reactions remains +/-0. To clarify: I don't pass thought experiments for psychopathy (rail tracks and pushing people to save others for instance).

It is so easy to hang with other alphas where everything is so positive and reciprocating. It is so freaking hard with any gammas in fact it is extremely awkward.

I think Baron-Cohen is delta NF and can somewhat appreciate extreme alpha NT so much he says Asperger's should not be called disorder. He puts very much emphasis on Ne and Ti pattern seeking when he describes it. BTW Baron-Cohen is not an alpha NT. He says he is not good with technology and natural sciences and seeks help from NT department. At least this is my experience with EIIs. While I think they are capable of doing it they don't t really trust their Ti and their Te stresses them greatly. It even seems that they think Ti is evil.
    Last edited by Troll Nr 007; 03-01-2015 at 06:42 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I used to work with a guy who was autistic/aspergers. He took everything very literally was obsessed with classic cars, got very stressed and was extremely detailing about his work so much so that if you pulled him away from it I could imagine him getting violent. Despite all this he was an OK guy and myself and some others would look after him.

Actually he was better than a lot of others as he wouldn't lie or cheat you, wonder if this is the same for all with this condition.

TIM
    H-ILE-Ne 7w6-2w1-1w9
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I make fun of literal interpretation and stituations from different perspectives. Like when I saw someone lying on couch I started pretended psychoanalysis session and the guy certainly freaked out.
    I'm pretty honest guy but I make white lies but I should make them more. I don't get physical.