Thread: my theory about socionics ds function

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default my theory about socionics ds function

I was reading an article about a couple who went into business designing products for special needs kids the mom is SEE dad is ILI. Their special needs child has a sensory processing disorder and I type her ILI. It dawned on me that Ds could be a type of disorder. Thoughts?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sensory processing disorder? I think I have bit of that in myself or more like proprioceptive issues. Pretty vast category nonetheless. These days it really depends on an expert what kind of label you are going to get because many symptoms have lots of overlap and diagnosing procedures are expensive

To seek some help from a dual with it? Why not.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wondering if you could explain what a ds disorder/function is and how it's related to socionics. Something to do with sensing?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

The dual seeking (Ds) function of the ILI type is Se. so the ILI has a sensory processing disorder which I figure is the strength of their dual SEE type
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hmmm, interesting thought. I does seem like a lot symptoms of SPD are traits I could imagine INxx types having, more so then other types. I wonder if there is indeed a correlation.

By why just DS though? If I get what you are saying couldn't this apply to any 1D Se type? Perhaps you mean that since people with SPD are in need of sensory help they are more likely to value and seek out Se, and somehow their mental functions arrange themselves accordingly?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yes.

For example in my case I don't process moving objects in front of me. So poorly that my bf often reacts alarmingly to get me to pay attention and move out of the way. So I almost stepped in front of a moving car yesterday. He says that I don't pay attention but I told him I was looking at something else. I also haven't been run over yet so something must be working in the opposite direction. He has a wide view of vision. He may look at one thing but process a lot of things. I don't have that. I'm too focused on trivial things in narrow score. My disorder would be lack of dynamic processing
    -

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Yes.

For example in my case I don't process moving objects in front of me. So poorly that my bf often reacts alarmingly to get me to pay attention and move out of the way. So I almost stepped in front of a moving car yesterday. He says that I don't pay attention but I told him I was looking at something else. I also haven't been run over yet so something must be working in the opposite direction. He has a wide view of vision. He may look at one thing but process a lot of things. I don't have that. I'm too focused on trivial things in narrow score. My disorder would be lack of dynamic processing
    I've got weak sensing and I can relate a lot to this to. A month or two ago I almost lost the side mirror on my car backing into the garage. Driving in traffic where you are forced to make ballsy maneuvers terrifies the living daylights out of me. Sometimes I even wait until night to drive so I don't to deal with other drivers on the road. I really would not ever want to work a truck driver. In contrast the sensors I know such as my mother whom I believe is SEI-N drives nearly everyday and has never herself caused a serious accident, and my step-father whom I believe is LSE-D actually has worked as a truck driver and still has his CDL.

One time at a warehouse job I asked a co-worker for more crates for these ice bags we were packing and he just looked at me like an idiot. It turns out there were two full stacks of them directly in front of me and I didn't notice. Other weak sensing things I have going on is the difficultly I have learning and tying knots, inability to snap my fingers, always dropping coins when I handle money at the store and my lack of skill folding clothes and making my bed.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it depends on how type develops. If it's largely genetic and inborn, not sure if sensory issues would really change anything since it's still possible to favor a function even if you use it very badly. If type is something that develops over time and maturation though, it seems likely sensory issues could have a significant impact on which type someone becomes.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Have any socionist ever put in a serious effort in trying to figuring out what causes people to acquire their types? This could definitely be something that might be worth looking into further.

hiatus
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that general types are inborn but subtypes may be more environment driven. A person has a type that they mentally exist as that would explain their motivations, but subtypes may be more dynamic and alterable based on the circumstances or people having effect on the type.

I have a theory about dynamic DCNH subtypes but haven't had the time to post it. I shall some time in the future.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddytextures View Post
    Have any socionist ever put in a serious effort in trying to figuring out what causes people to acquire their types? This could definitely be something that might be worth looking into further.
    Heh there's many factors, from prenatal hormones to interactions in early years in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacim View Post
    I think that general types are inborn but subtypes may be more environment driven. A person has a type that they mentally exist as that would explain their motivations, but subtypes may be more dynamic and alterable based on the circumstances or people having effect on the type.
    I actually did not like changing subtype even temporarily. So I believe there is an optimum that you can move away from when you have to adjust to the environment but while changing subtype is certainly possible, in my view it's already more than desirable change.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son has / had sensory processing disorder, he's ILE, and I doubt it's strongly related to socionics. It's quite prevalent, and it manifests in a great variety of ways.

I have some of the same tendencies, but they're sub-clinical-threshold.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddytextures View Post
    I've got weak sensing and I can relate a lot to this to. A month or two ago I almost lost the side mirror on my car backing into the garage. Driving in traffic where you are forced to make ballsy maneuvers terrifies the living daylights out of me. Sometimes I even wait until night to drive so I don't to deal with other drivers on the road. I really would not ever want to work a truck driver. In contrast the sensors I know such as my mother whom I believe is SEI-N drives nearly everyday and has never herself caused a serious accident, and my step-father whom I believe is LSE-D actually has worked as a truck driver and still has his CDL.

One time at a warehouse job I asked a co-worker for more crates for these ice bags we were packing and he just looked at me like an idiot. It turns out there were two full stacks of them directly in front of me and I didn't notice. Other weak sensing things I have going on is the difficultly I have learning and tying knots, inability to snap my fingers, always dropping coins when I handle money at the store and my lack of skill folding clothes and making my bed.
    I don't have the driving problem but missing things like ice crates right in front of me happens to me all the freaking time.

I was also slow to learn to tie knots. As a kid I would leave my shoes untied because tying a know was just too frustrating for me. I also drop coins alot and trouble folding clothes neatly.

Making my bed isn't too much of a problem although I hate doing it.

Wrapping gifts so they are neat is another thing I'm poor at and dread doing. My sister worked in a department store and she would gift wrap certain purchases. Something I cannot see myself easily mastering.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacim View Post

I have a theory about dynamic DCNH subtypes but haven't had the time to post it. I shall some time in the future.
    Ooooh! Sounds interesting, can't wait to see it.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

hiatus
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, probably not very type related but I didn't learn to tie my shoes until I was at least 7 years old. Even now, I knot them once as tightly as possible so my shoes become virtual slippers. Nor can I snap my fingers very well, "find" things right under my nose, etc.

I will say that these so-called "weak sensing" traits you all mention manifest themselves more when I feel pressured by other people to do things, especially manual labor. I think that I'm more competent on my own because I don't have to divert my attention from my thoughts to the demands of others.