Thread: Implicit attitudes

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Implicit attitudes

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/selectatest.html

Who wants to look at their implicit biases. Take the test!

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which one do we click on that page?
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Social attitudes?
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

First one I did
    race-IAT

I had a moderate preference for black faces to white.

Second one I did.

I did the race-weapons IAT.

You have completed the Race - Weapons IAT.

Your Result
    Your data suggest a slight association of Black Americans with Weapons compared to White Americans.
    Thank you for your participation. Just below is a breakdown of the scores generated by others. Most respondents find it easier to associate White American with Harmless Object and Black American with Weapon compared to the reverse.

Race-Weapons score distribution
    Racial profiling as a term, has been introduced in recent years to capture an old practice among law enforcement agents, especially police and immigration and customs officials: the selective stopping, searching, and interrogating of individuals who hold membership in groups that are believed to be more likely to commit particular crimes. In a sense, when psychologists study the nature of stereotypes, they are studying exactly this process in general terms: the degree to which knowledge about a group influences judgments of individual members of the group.

The various mental abilities that underlie the function of identifying that x is a member of category X, and remembering what Category X does and represents are vital – the ability to perceive and categorize, to learn and remember are essential features of human intelligence. But these very same processes so fundamental to our daily mental functioning can be implicated in the denial of equally fundamental rights to people who are innocent bearers of markers of their social group. The many instances of people who are wrongly suspected and accused is too great to mention. We point to only one case that has come to represent the sad consequences of well-intentioned profiling. Police officers in New York, shot and killed a citizen, Amadou Diallo, who they believed was reaching for a weapon. In fact, Amadou Diallo, was reaching for his wallet to provide identification to the police officers.

Our position, perhaps an unpopular one, is that the unconscious roots of profiling lie in every mind. In the Race-Weapons test you completed, we provide the occasion for recognizing the automatic association between racial groups and weapons relative to harmless objects. The result of this test probably underestimates the true extent of this association. In order to give every benefit to obtaining the alternative association (Black American and harmless objects), we explicitly included examples of weapons that are not associated with that group (e.g., bayonets, swords, bombs, axes).

Many of the questions that you answered on the previous page have been addressed in research over the last 10 years. For example, the order that you performed the response pairing is influential, but procedural corrections largely eliminate that influence (see FAQ #1). Each visitor to the site completes the task in a randomized order. If you would like to learn more about the IAT, please visit the FAQs and background information section.

You are welcome to try additional demonstration tasks, and we encourage you to register (easy) for the research site where you will gain access to studies about more than 100 topics about social groups, personality, pop culture, and more.

Overall test stats.

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently I'm not a misogynist.

Your data suggest weak automatic preference for Women over Men. You were faster responding to Women & Good items as opposed to Men & Good items.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done a lot of these tests, and on the race-related ones I always show a preference for any group but whites. Odd imo.

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN View Post
    I've done a lot of these tests, and on the race-related ones I always show a preference for any group but whites. Odd imo.
    Must be self-loathing white guilt.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Tests aren't really about misogyny or anything like that. It's about implicit associations.

You have completed the Gender - Science IAT.

Your Result
    Your data suggest a strong association of Male with Science and Female with Liberal Arts compared to Female with Science and Male with Liberal Arts.
    Thank you for your participation. Just below is a breakdown of the scores generated by others. Most respondents find it easier to associate Male with Science and Female with Liberal Arts compared to the reverse.

gensci score distribution
    Many of the questions that you answered on the previous page have been addressed in research over the last 10 years. For example, the order that you performed the response pairing is influential, but procedural corrections largely eliminate that influence (see FAQ #1). Each visitor to the site completes the task in a randomized order. If you would like to learn more about the IAT, please visit the FAQs and background information section.

You are welcome to try additional demonstration tasks, and we encourage you to register (easy) for the research site where you will gain access to studies about more than 100 topics about social groups, personality, pop culture, and more.

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I guess I'm in the same boat as @GOLDEN: Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for African American compared to European American.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mfckr View Post
    Oh, I guess I'm in the same boat as @GOLDEN: Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for African American compared to European American.
    The whites really do look like assholes, though, don't they?

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN View Post
    The whites really do look like assholes, though, don't they?
    Hm. The white faces didn't seem to evoke a negative reaction for me, but the black faces did come across as more approachable for whatever reason(s).

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mfckr View Post
    Hm. The white faces didn't seem to evoke a negative reaction for me, but the black faces did come across as more approachable for whatever reason(s).
    I accidentally "constructived" your post. Anyway, the white faces in the one about Native Americans and association with "America" look like serial killers.

Creepy-male

I like the idea behind the test but I thought it was poorly designed.

Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between Light Skin and Dark Skin.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Light Skin over Dark Skin. Racist motherfucker.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

This makes me feel super shitty

Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Light Skin compared to Dark Skin.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Thank you for your participation. In this study, we are investigating the formation of preferences for different groups. By having you read positive and negative statements about two social groups, and then measuring your automatic associations, we are hoping to better understand how information that occurs in the environment leads to automatic associations. We used fictitious social groups in this study because we wanted to see how new automatic associations form; we could only do so by using groups about which people have no preexisting attitudes.

We measured your implicit attitudes using the implicit association task. The idea is that it should be easier to sort pairs of concepts that are associated in memory. For instance, someone who has more positive associations about Reemolap than Vabbenif should be faster to categorize "Reemolap and Good" pairs than "Vabbenif and Good" pairs. Your results are:

Your data suggest little to no difference in implicit preference between Vabbenif and Reemolap.

Below is the interpretation of your IAT performance, followed by questions about what you think it means. The next page explains the task and has more information such as a summary of what most people show on this IAT.
    Your Result
    Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for African American compared to European American.
    The interpretation is described as 'automatic preference for European American' if you responded faster when European American faces and Good words were classified with the same key than when African American faces and Good words were classified with the same key. Depending on the magnitude of your result, your automatic preference may be described as 'slight', 'moderate', 'strong', or 'little to no preference'. Alternatively, you may have received feedback that 'there were too many errors to determine a result'.

I suppose it is because I have immersed myself in different cultures over the years. I don't feel I have a strong preference either way, for any race.
    Last edited by Aylen; 12-21-2014 at 06:31 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Your data suggests:

Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between Light Skinned People and Dark Skinned People.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Your data suggests:
    Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Light Skinned People compared to Dark Skinned People.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

The test seiz amma racist.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kore View Post
    The test seiz amma racist.
    that's normal.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    that's normal.
    Sounds like an insult...being normal sucks.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Sounds like an insult...being normal sucks.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

The keep sending me emails to take more tests.

You have completed the Mental Illness Implicit Association Test (IAT).

Your Result

Your implicit data suggest that you slightly associate DANGEROUS more with MENTALLY ILL PEOPLE than PHYSICALLY ILL PEOPLE.

We hope you find the IAT sorting task thought-provoking, but it should not be used to define yourself or others. We do not currently have enough data on how people in general score on these tests to present comparisons with people in general. We appreciate your participation, and it will help us to provide this feature in the future as we obtain more data.

This and future research will clarify the way in which implicit evaluations affect our perception, judgment, and action.

You have completed the Self-Esteem Brief Implicit Association Test
    (BIAT - patent pending).

Your Result

Your implicit data suggest that you strongly identify more with GOOD than BAD.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your data suggests:
    Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Thin People compared to Fat People.

TIM
    Delta NF
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bump!

I'm curious about what people experienced while/after taking these tests. I took 4 of them in a row and now feel mentally and emotionally exhausted. Needless to say, I wasn't pleased with some of my results.

Interestingly, the results I was happiest with (because they said I had little to no preference) were made up of symbols and images that were unfamiliar to me. For example, in the disability test, they use road sign symbols of skiers and seeing-eye dogs that I have never encountered in real life. In the Asian-American association with 'foreign' test, I was unfamiliar with lesser-known American landmarks like the tall loopy structure I just found out through Google is the "Gateway Arch". I feel like my lack of familiarity with different symbols and images is what accounted for my two 'neutral' results.

My results suggest to me that similar to what mu4 said, these tests are only really about associations that people implicitly make as a result of repeated exposure to the same narratives. While these tests may reveal underlying schemas that people have, I don't think they conclusively measure how 'racist' or 'misogynist' a person is. Rather, I feel like they indicate the degree to which people have learned and internalized the associations between different things.

Anyway, it is arguably more important to be self aware and monitor how your behave in response to your schemas than to panic about your test results. Mine did stress me out quite a bit though

I'm interested in hearing about what others think about the implications of these tests and what you think they're really measuring!

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I don't understand the pleasant/unpleasant faces one. I rated almost everybody neutral because I don't understand. Then it showed me pictures of David and James and what animals they like and don't like. David hated animals, James loved them all. Then it asked me who I liked better. I wasn't decided on either one, all I know about them is one likes animals and one doesn't. How am I supposed to know how friendly they are? At any rate, it did detect a slight bias for James. These tests assume I make assumptions. Well, I do, but not in such a straightforward manner.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    I don't understand the pleasant/unpleasant faces one. I rated almost everybody neutral because I don't understand. Then it showed me pictures of David and James and what animals they like and don't like. David hated animals, James loved them all. Then it asked me who I liked better. I wasn't decided on either one, all I know about them is one likes animals and one doesn't. How am I supposed to know how friendly they are? At any rate, it did detect a slight bias for James. These tests assume I make assumptions. Well, I do, but not in such a straightforward manner.
    Oh come on man, David was a pretty fucking ugly dude.

u cant go to next level of black faces if u only press 4 on white faces?

whose narrative gets empowered by calling ppl out on their ''implicit biases'' ? let us all contribute towards creating legitimacy for X
    Last edited by Kalinoche buenanoche; 01-21-2016 at 05:39 PM.