Thread: Jascha Heifetz

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jascha Heifetz

Please type one of my favorite violinists!

Quote Originally Posted by interview by by Frederick Martens in 1919
    THE DANGER OF PRACTICING TOO MUCH.
    He [Heifetz] laughed when I put forward the theory that he worked many hours a day, perhaps as many as six or eight? "No," he said, "I do not think I could ever have made any progress if I had practiced six hours a day. In the first place I have never believed in practicing too much—it is just as bad as practicing too little!

And then there are so many other things I like to do. I am fond of reading and I like sport: tennis, golf, bicycle riding, boating, swimming, etc. Often when I am supposed to be practicing hard I am out with my camera, taking pictures; for I have become what is known as a 'camera fiend.' And just now I have a new car, which I have learned to drive, and which takes up a good deal of my time. I have never believed in grinding.

In fact I think that if one has to work very hard to get, his piece, it will show in the execution. To interpret music properly, it is necessary to eliminate mechanical difficulty; the audience should not feel the struggle of the artist with what are considered hard passages. I hardly ever practice more than three hours a day on an average, and besides, I keep my Sunday when I do not play at all, and sometimes I make an extra holiday. As to six or seven hours a day, I would not have been able to stand it at all."

I implied that what Mr. Heifetz said might shock thousands of aspiring young violinists for whom he pointed a moral: "Of course," his answer was, "you must not take me too literally. Please do not think because I do not favor overdoing practicing that one can do without it. I'm quite frank to say I could not myself. But there is a happy medium. I suppose that when I play in public it looks easy, but before I ever came on the concert stage I worked very hard. And I do yet—but always putting the two things together, mental work and physical work. And when a certain point of effort is reached in practice, as in everything else, there must be relaxation.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

J type some kind of a J maybe LSE or LIE
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

he looks like a F-type irrational, possibly Fi creative. I actually didn't know about him, thnx for bringing him up. VIs sx/so or so/sp.

There’s not a living human being who doesn’t need luck. You need luck every time you give a concert. You worry about weather and transportation. Trains and planes are sometimes late; taxis have been known to break down. Then, at the hall, you worry that a string might snap or the lights fail, or that a page-turner might flip over two pages at once.

(irrational mindset)

You must preserve your enthusiasm for playing. Loss of that enthusiasm is deadly to musicianship

(Ethical approach, possibly Extroverted...)

Music has a lot in common with mathematics. But in music, two and two need not make four: they add up to whatever you wish.

(Ti polr? lol)

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he was described as having difficulty relating to ppl though.
    video below starting at ~0:20

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    he was described as having difficulty relating to ppl though.
    video below starting at ~0:20
    So you're thinking that he may not be an ethical type?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    So you're thinking that he may not be an ethical type?
    Yes. His musical style was also not very emotional. It was perfection though.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

...but his opinions on practicing aren't very Te-ego ... he seems to believe in innate talent and immersion in music, not in excellence achieved via methodical effort and precisely executed skill.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agni View Post
    ...but his opinions on practicing aren't very Te-ego ... he seems to believe in innate talent and immersion in music, not in excellence achieved via methodical effort and precisely executed skill.
    Yep... so, that still leaves Alpha NT and beta ST... No?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    VI only since I can't tolerate trying to attribute meaning to every little comment people make (shit, humans talk a lot)

Almost certainly merry.

There are a few photos where he looks LSI, a few where he looks IEI, and a bunch where he looks EIE. Many look too dreamy for LSI, too hard for IEI.

Okay I spent way too long on this. Dude's got a shit ton of pathos, so I kept getting distracted by betas and fe egos but... I think ILE matches best, overall. If you still care, I can go into more detail with the Filatova portraits (I consider them the only reliable VI reference, since she laboriously typed everyone without VI, got them to agree, and then took pictures)

I'm not100%sure on this..... But I think the forum gets confused about ILEs.
    Yay, thanks for bumping this thread!! I like alpha nt for him. His demeanor when performing though seems rational to me (stiff), so i think i agree with maritsa on J type, but hey ILE LII, pretty close, could be either one potentially. Maybe Ti-ILE...