Thread: Which of your 'fixes' do you relate to the most?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Which of your 'fixes' do you relate to the most?

Look through this first:

http://www.fitzel.ca/enneagram/triads.html

I think Gut (9w1) > Heart (3w4) > Head (6w7). I could easily be a heart type.
    Last edited by suedehead; 12-06-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Feeling Centre (Types 2,3,4)

The types in the feeling centre have gifts and issues involving their emotions. When they are healthy and balanced, their use of emotion is constructive and especially beneficial to their relationships. When they are unhealthy, their emotions become imbalanced.
    The essential qualities of this centre involve the deep connection with the intelligence of the heart. The heart is our source of feelings and emotional connection with others. It helps us recognize our love and value for ourselves and for others. Through feelings and value we understand our identity, who we (and others) really are.
    At some point in their development, Twos, Threes, and Fours feel that they have lost these essential qualities -- that they have lost contact with their value and with their identity. They adopt a false belief that they are worthless, leading to an underlying feeling of shame.

To compensate, the personality tries to create and maintain a personal identity that will overcome these feelings. This self-image is based on memories and interpretations from their past. By identifying with this self-image, they create a false sense of value. Twos, Threes, and Fours spend a great deal of energy seeking validation from others to affirm this self-image.
    Unfortunately, others do not always recognize or pay enough attention to the self-image. As a result, Twos, Threes, and Fours may begin to experience their underlying feelings of shame. They may become hostile with others and express hatred of those who don't value them. Another problem is that by focusing exclusively on their created persona, they must reject some aspects of their true nature. For whatever reason, these aspects must remain hidden from others (and from themselves) because they are associated with qualities that render them worthless.

The Two in the Feeling Centre

Twos tend to project a self-image of a caring, nurturing, friendly helper. They tend to over express their feelings, focusing on the positive emotions, while repressing the negative ones. Their self-image is directed outward trying to get others to like them. Generally, Twos accomplish this task by being kind and giving to others and expecting others to validate and appreciate them. Twos are trying to earn attention: by being kind and loving others, others will be kind and loving in return. Twos can maintain their "all-good" self-image by rejecting what they see as their "negative" qualities. They also minimize their own needs so they can focus on meeting the needs of others.
    Sometimes the Two gets into the situation where they are not needed. Since Twos get their worth from helping others (they need to be needed), they will still try to find ways to help others, even if it really isn't required. With the best of intentions, Twos can start to become intrusive and meddlesome and try to make others dependent on them.
    The Three in the Feeling Centre

Threes tend to project a self-image of the winner, someone who embodies the values of their community. Threes have a hard time getting in touch with their feelings -- they tend to push their feelings aside to make favourable impressions and to function efficiently and productively. Like Twos, Threes focus their self-image outward: because they desperately want the approval of others. Threes are always aware of what's important to others and they also focus their self-image inward to shape and adapt their persona to better match what is expected of them. Also, like Twos, Threes reject their authentic self in favour of a more valued identity. If Threes do not get the attention they demand from others, they are likely to promote themselves and their accomplishments (perhaps exaggerating or becoming untruthful). Increased levels of shame may erupt as hostility by insulting others and putting them down to (temporarily) feel superior.
    The Four in the Feeling Centre

Fours tend to project a self-image of a mysterious, special, and unique individual. Fours under express their feelings, preferring indirect methods to share and communicate what they feel. Fours spend a great deal of energy directing their self-image inward. Fours are seeking their true identity and are trying to make sure that it is based on their inner feelings and imagination. Fours reject many of their positive qualities and common characteristics that they share with others (it's hard to be unique if you are like others). Fours seek attention through withdrawal (which may at first seem like a contradiction). Fours withdraw to pull others in (especially into their inner world). They want others to notice their depth of character and to obtain sympathy for what they feel is their unjust suffering. Fours believe that Life has dealt them a bad hand and their underlying feeling of shame may lead to hostility against Life (despair). In addition, they may feel hostility at their parents (or others in their past), themselves (for being defective), and at others (for not recognizing how special the Four is).

The Thinking Centre (Types 5,6,7)

The types in the thinking centre have gifts and issues involving their thinking. When they are healthy and balanced, they have incredible keen insights and ideas. When they are unhealthy, their thinking becomes imbalanced.
    The essential qualities of this centre involve the deep connection with the intelligence of the mind. The gifts of the mind include the ability to observe, perceive, and effortlessly understand. The mind also provides us with confidence and inner guidance.
    At some point in their development, Fives, Sixes, and Sevens feel that they have lost these essential qualities -- that they have lost contact with their inner guidance. They adopt a false belief that they have no inner support or confidence, leading to underlying feelings of fear and anxiety. They see the world as a threatening and uncertain place.
    To compensate, Fives, Sixes, and Sevens become very motivated to find sources of security and confidence. They try to anticipate and prepare for the future. They spend their time trying to find and maintain a sense of inner guidance and support. These types pursue mental strategies and/or belief systems to create a false sense of security against anxiety.
    Unfortunately, they do not always feel they have the security they need to combat their fear. As a result, their insecurity and anxiety increase. They seek methods to decrease their anxiety. They tend to be wary of authority and are generally cautious with relationships. They dislike uncertainty and want to be prepared for it, but have difficulty with closure.
    The Five in the Thinking Centre

Fives tend to over express their thinking and substitute thinking for doing. Fives see the world as threatening and uncertain so they focus their thinking inward, hoping to understand it. Fives believe if they sufficiently study the world, they will understand it. Once they understand it, they will have the confidence to act and cope with the outer world. Unfortunately Fives get stuck in an "analysis paralysis" where every answer they generate raises more questions, which they must answer. Like the other members of this Centre, Fives seek security. Because they feel the world is very uncertain, Fives withdraw to feel secure. They retreat into their minds to understand the world around them, removing themselves from directly observing that which fears them. Unfortunately, this strategy generates even more fear. By removing themselves from the world, they are less able to participate -- the best path to understanding.
    The Six in the Thinking Centre

Sixes have a hard time getting in touch with their thinking and inner guidance. Like Fives, they focus their thinking inward to avoid external threats, but they have serious doubts about their own abilities. Consequently, they seek reassurance and confirmation outside themselves. However, Sixes may start to doubt their authority figures, resulting in a vacillating between their own ideas and those of others. Sixes seek security by finding something (or someone) in which to believe. By having a clear set of rules or beliefs, Sixes will gain confidence to cope with life. Sixes feel they must earn their security. They believe if they do their part for the authority, it will take care of them. Sixes are constantly aware of their anxiety and always react against it. Sometimes, they rely on their authority to allay their fears, sometimes they will courageously confront their fears directly.
    The Seven in the Thinking Centre

Sevens tend to under express their thinking and substitute doing for thinking. Sevens see their inner world as threatening; issues of sadness, loss, and grief cause great anxiety. Sevens avoid dealing with these issues by fleeing their inner world and trying to keep preoccupied with the outer world. As a result, they focus their thinking outward, keeping their mind busy with new plans and ideas. Their anxiety is repressed through constant activity, and by concentrating on positive expectations, ideas, and plans. Like Fives and Sixes, Sevens are also seeking security, but they are unsure where to find it. Sevens feel that they have to try all sources of security and that way they'll eliminate the ones that don't work and find the ones that do. Sevens however, have a hard time focusing on the sources of security they presently have. Instead, they are always thinking about the future. Keeping their options open, Sevens try not to over commit themselves to any one thing, lest they miss out on an even better experience.

The Instinctive Centre (Types 8,9,1)

The types in the Instinctive Centre have gifts and issues involving their instinct. When they are healthy and balanced, their have strong relational skills with others and their environment. When they are unhealthy, their relationship skills become imbalanced.
    The essential qualities of this Centre involves the deep connection with the intelligence of the body, their instinct. Instinct is a type of knowledge that is not often recognized. Our instincts involve our sense of vitality and assertion. Instinct involves our inner wants and our ability to assert them in a way that is consistent and harmonious with the world around us.
    At some point in their development, Eights, Nines, and Ones feel that they have lost these essential qualities -- that they have no sense of self and that they cannot assert their wants. Being unable to express themselves leads to an underlying feeling of rage.
    To compensate, the personality tries to create and maintain a sense of self, where they are free to influence the world, but not be influenced by it. Consequently, the types in the instinctive Centre are motivated to find ways to feel autonomous and independent. One way to feel a sense of self is to carry tension in our bodies. Another is to create boundaries around us.
    Unfortunately, when Eights, Nines, and Ones do not get the autonomy that they seek, their underlying feelings of rage rise up. They may become aggressive (in a way, proving their independence). They way become resistant to change, again to bolster feelings of autonomy.
    The Eight in the Instinctive Triad

Eights over express their instinct. They act upon whatever gut hunches and powerful impulse arise. They feel that autonomy will come if they assert their wants aggressively and if they resist being influenced. They must remain in control. Eights extend their sphere of influence to include their families, their home, their workplace, etc. These expansive boundaries help them to feel substantial and immortal. They may become confrontational to feel their boundaries. They also repress their gentler, emotional side because it is seen as vulnerable. Ironically, Eights repress these instinctual qualities.
    The Nine in the Instinctive Centre

Nines are out of touch with their instinctual drives. Nines believe that expressing their views or asserting their needs will cause conflict or lack of harmony. Nines shut down most of their instincts by repressing and denying their own wants and needs. Nines try to maintain their autonomy by resisting change (both external pressures and passionate feelings). Nines often accommodate and go with the flow (in a sense giving up their independence), but they do so with the agreement to give the Nine her own space to do her own thing. If they don't get that space, their underlying rage may come out in passive-aggressive forms.
    The One in the Instinctive Centre

Ones under express their instinct. Ones repress their inner wants and instincts with a strict superego-driven conscience. They resist their own feelings and wants through self-control (an inner boundary). Ones can maintain their autonomy by being perfect -- being above criticism. They also seek autonomy from their own feelings and wants. When Ones feel that they are losing their autonomy, their rage and aggression is directed inward through harsh self-criticism. Sometimes, they lose self-control and have outbursts of anger towards others.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6w7, though I take a more cerebral approach. My "authority" isn't like some kind of authority figure or group, it's more like theoretical, possibly explanatory information. For example, to help myself understand an issue, I research different things that have been written about it, and try to find the one that seems to explain the underlying issue. And reasearching new things helps me avoid the anxiety like a 7 does. So I'm always looking up something new, never really feeling settled in the research I've already done.

9w1, despite what some people think about me, I'm far more likely to turn my anger and anxieties onto myself than I am onto others. I find it difficult to set boundaries, and to establish my own needs/desires. And when something about me is interfering with what someone else wants, I'm constantly apologizing for not being/doing the way they want me to be/do. For example, the physical therapy experience I described in delta lounge, where I kept apologizing for my back still being in pain. I was miserable, and kept withdrawing into myself, becoming mouselike. But at the same time, this triggers my PTSD and starts beinging up horrible memories and horrible feelings, and the rage just builds up. And so I pull myself in more and more, trying to abide by internal/external expectations/demands, until finally when I'm alone and can release it through crying it out. And then I try to leave whatever keeps causing that feeling. But some things you just can't be rid of or avoid. Grrr.

Then, if I can't cry the pressure out, the counterphobic thing kicks in to give me enough strength to fight back. And since I am not skilled at asserting myself or establishing my boundaries, my efforts come out... erratic, lol.

4w5 I do tend to underexpress my feelings. And trying to figure myself out, and be true to myself. I tend to overlook my positive qualities, and instead put more attention into my own negative ones. Combined with e6 i'm constantly doubting myself, and with both e6 and e9 I'm never really sure what's me...and what's not. What are my true feelings, etc. So i constantly analyze myself...in a horrible loop. I don't think I withdraw to gain attention from others, but I obviously am willing to describe some of what I go through more in depth, and in a more distanced, disconnected manner, so it's possible that that could apply. The 5 wing just compounds the over expressing the thinking, again, with my more cerebral, analytical approach in trying to understand all this, and describe myself. There's also a constant feeling of dissconnect from my body. I know I need to pull myself out of the analyzing loop, and so I do things like bio/neurofeedback to try to calm down some of the stuff that leads to that mentality. And I keep looking for information that will help me stop looking for information...even while I am aware of that direct conflict, ugh.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was ways I relate to 5 over 9. The hoarding knowledge, being an outside observer of the world. I feel extremely naked when put in situations where I know nothing, and I find ways to relate the topic at hand to subjects I'm more proficient in. Being that they are both withdrawn types, there is a lot of overlap, between the withdrawn triad really. 5s and 9s both have a degree of repressing though, for different reasons. 9s hate conflict, while 5s just want to be outside of the social sphere in general, but both need alone time, and 5s operate on a level on anxiety, as does the entire head triad.

I have a curiosity to me, a need to understand the world around me, and peopleing doesn't quite come naturally. Learning more about subjects that interest me, perfecting that area of knowledge is a huge part of me.

However, I am a people-pleaser to a fault, very conflict avoidant, and my 9 has a heavy affect on how I interact in groups (probably having a strong social instinct second.)

9 and 5 are very close with me, but 9s are notorious for have a blindspot to self. For a while, I pegged myself as a core 4, then a core 5 but 9s often mistype as those. Well, someone else typed me as a 5 and I had trouble letting the typing go. A lot of other people saw my blatant 9 but I was in denial of it. Something about being a type that was so people-oriented from what I gathered from descriptions, but not so much creativity or knowledge oriented like a 5 or a 4 screwed with me, being I'm very withdrawn, and I put a lot of emphasis on a pursuit of knowledge. I'm not saying 9s can't be, it was a matter of comparing and contrasting said types. Those fixes are very solid with me but in different ways.

I can spend days or weeks on end away from people, but once I do let someone in and they cut me out of their life, I don't take it well.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

If I had to choose a center in and of itself, I would choose gut. And my gut type is the one I'm really unsure about because my energy feels spread out on all 3. Are these two things connected hey hey

Banned
    TIM
    EII-Ne 6w5 SP/SX 629
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 9w8 > 6w7 > 2w3
    Coz i have 6 strong fix , i can mistyped easily as brain types and mistyped many years....