Thread: Emotional compartmentalization in Te dominants

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Emotional compartmentalization in Te dominants

Question about Te dominants: Do you think it's typical to compartmentalize emotions? "Part of me feels happy, part of me feels sad, part of me feels angry, part of me feels love, part of me feels resentment, part of me feels fear, part of me feels joy, etc." (all about the same situation) I've talked about this with another LSE who identified, and I've seen an LIE friend do it as well. With this there's a tendency to focus on the emotion that's most useful at the time, and doing so is generally unproblematic.

The other emotions don't really go away until they're properly processed, but doing so often waits for weeks, months, and years. The up side is that it can make life a lot easier. The down side is that it can lead to making decisions based on an incomplete portrayal of your position in the matter. It also creates a lot of mental clutter that can really pile up if you go too long without catharsis.

At this point I've learned to in the very least recognize and validate as many emotional aspects of a situation as possible, even if I don't focus or act on them. It seems to help prevent bad decisions since sometimes when you experience a particular emotion it turns out to be more significant than you would have thought. It gives you more of a balanced and accurate idea of your own position and stakes in a situation.

Anyways, for the other Te dominants (or maybe even Te creatives, too, though I do think there's a degree of rationality involved here), do you experience this as well? Is this a normal, healthy tendency or an avoidant one? Is it something that is ideally overcome? Part of the Stratievskaya LSE/EII duality description says that the EII helps his dual "to not hide the evil in his heart", and I wonder if this is a reference to this tendency to compartmentalize and only utilize what it useful at the present moment. (It's possible that this is simply a mistranslation though.)
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Sometimes. Being emotivist dichotomy can get in the way. They can fly off the handle become reactive harsh say it and I mean IT without the slightest bit of concern for the emotional sensitive of others. When they want a child A CHILD to pick up a toy will voice it in an authoritarian way and noy explain to them why that task is important hence just wanting a follow through on a task (wanting to see an action carried out). Their own emotions are inside, sensitive and sentimental. One thinks "if only he said 'I love you'" but he sometimes won't but you'll know that he has your best interests at heart. He thinks of good for you. He will carry out the tasks that need to be done. He will ask whether you got where you need to be safely.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Sometimes. Being emotivist dichotomy can get in the way. They can fly off the handle become reactive harsh say it and I mean IT without the slightest bit of concern for the emotional sensitive of others. When they want a child A CHILD to pick up a toy will voice it in an authoritarian way and noy explain to them why that task is important hence just wanting a follow through on a task (wanting to see an action carried out). Their own emotions are inside, sensitive and sentimental. One thinks "if only he said 'I love you'" but he sometimes won't but you'll know that he has your best interests at heart. He thinks of good for you. He will carry out the tasks that need to be done. He will ask whether you got where you need to be safely.
    I don't identify with this at all. I used to be overly harsh sometimes, but I'm not anymore. And I'm really great with children and not authoritarian at all.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Question about Te dominants: Do you think it's typical to compartmentalize emotions? "Part of me feels happy, part of me feels sad, part of me feels angry, part of me feels love, part of me feels resentment, part of me feels fear, part of me feels joy, etc." (all about the same situation) I've talked about this with another LSE who identified, and I've seen an LIE friend do it as well. With this there's a tendency to focus on the emotion that's most useful at the time, and doing so is generally unproblematic.

The other emotions don't really go away until they're properly processed, but doing so often waits for weeks, months, and years. The up side is that it can make life a lot easier. The down side is that it can lead to making decisions based on an incomplete portrayal of your position in the matter. It also creates a lot of mental clutter that can really pile up if you go too long without catharsis.

At this point I've learned to in the very least recognize and validate as many emotional aspects of a situation as possible, even if I don't focus or act on them. It seems to help prevent bad decisions since sometimes when you experience a particular emotion it turns out to be more significant than you would have thought. It gives you more of a balanced and accurate idea of your own position and stakes in a situation.

Anyways, for the other Te dominants (or maybe even Te creatives, too, though I do think there's a degree of rationality involved here), do you experience this as well? Is this a normal, healthy tendency or an avoidant one? Is it something that is ideally overcome? Part of the Stratievskaya LSE/EII duality description says that the EII helps his dual "to not hide the evil in his heart", and I wonder if this is a reference to this tendency to compartmentalize and only utilize what it useful at the present moment. (It's possible that this is simply a mistranslation though.)
    I believe that recognizing more than one emotion can occur at the same time is healthy. I think it's part of being emotionally intelligent. (Not the same thing as being F ego.) Life isn't black and white, all or nothing, and neither are our emotions. Just like you can have different, even conflicting emotions towards a single item. Say, a person. You can like some aspects, respect some aspects, and totally dislike other aspects of them.

And yes, recognizing and allowing for these differences helps one get a clearer view of a situation/person, than only considering one single emotion. It also helps one see the relationship between these clearer as well.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm not Te-dom (IEI) but if I understand you correctly, I do this as well, I call it "emotional multi-tasking" - I use whatever emotions are helpful to me in the situation and deal with the other ones later at a more appropriate time. Not sure if this is type related.

Examples from my past:

There's a death in the family, I am sad but don't have time to deal with that because of all of the practical implications. So, I deal with those and when all that is taken care of I'm devastated.

OR

I have something very trying happening in my personal life. It is putting a great strain on me. But then I go to work and am extremely happy because work is going well. People from work would never know that I was going through something difficult because of my cheerful demeanor while there.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if there's an aspect of E9 to this, too?
    SEE

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I wonder if there's an aspect of E9 to this, too?
    Haha, I was wondering that too because I saw that you are E9 and I know other IEIs that don't seem like me in this respect.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by epheme View Post
    I'm not Te-dom (IEI) but if I understand you correctly, I do this as well, I call it "emotional multi-tasking" - I use whatever emotions are helpful to me in the situation and deal with the other ones later at a more appropriate time. Not sure if this is type related.

Examples from my past:

There's a death in the family, I am sad but don't have time to deal with that because of all of the practical implications. So, I deal with those and when all that is taken care of I'm devastated.

OR

I have something very trying happening in my personal life. It is putting a great strain on me. But then I go to work and am extremely happy because work is going well. People from work would never know that I was going through something difficult because of my cheerful demeanor while there.
    What you have written @epheme is very relatable and there is a good chance that I am enneagram 9 also.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I relate. I could see this relating to where someone easily experiences and internalizes different emotions, but compartmentalizes them in order to make appropriate decisions with the world around them - some form of emotional regulation. I think it's healthy as long as it doesn't mean ignoring how you feel about things. Otherwise how is a person supposed to remain spiritually centered?

I guess it could also relate to enneagram 9, but I was under the impression that 9s aren't compartmentalizing emotions, but dissociating from them. The former is still aware of them and deals with them appropriately (or at least tries), while the latter doesn't want to deal with it at all (9s neglect themselves, so to speak). But maybe there is not much difference. I suppose this could be part of a growth point for 9s though.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Is it something that is ideally overcome? Part of the Stratievskaya LSE/EII duality description says that the EII helps his dual "to not hide the evil in his heart", and I wonder if this is a reference to this tendency to compartmentalize and only utilize what it useful at the present moment. (It's possible that this is simply a mistranslation though.)
    How I help an LSE not hide the "evil in their heart" Example:

The evil is "I want you for X" That X is a singular motivation "to give me money so that I can sustain myself" or "to have just sex with me" When an LSE repeats something one too many times that's the ticket. What are your intentions? "I was clear with you all along" but really they won't say it like that..."I want you only for sex" no they'll just repeat "sex, sex, sex, sex" "just sex" dropping a hint. Hiding true intentions and motivations for you. "I still care about her...i just wanted sex." She wanted you for more than sex, you know this because she became more responsive as you dropped more hints about how difficult it's been with your wife and kept talking about possibly separating. He laughs but not only until you mention it or rather bring it up to light. "How else are you supposed to get laid." Interesting method...geee either find a way to ignore the girl's emotions and use her as a hole in the wall or go without it right? LIES we weave. Any way...there are a few evils, using people that's it with LSE.

LSE have this sly sly look about them when thinking of doing something. For example they will smile and talk about an action that they do normally or will do. I give that sly smile an askance look where I turn my shin to one direction my eyes staring directing at them and my lips smacked together lol. It's a look that speaks a million words. That look is "don't do anything mean or harmful." When that happens LSE will often laugh maybe out of embarrassment and shame. But mostly I help LSE come to terms with dealing with certain things in a humanistic way. It's okay to do things for survival but if you burn enough bridges you can end up on an island all by yourself. So there's a lot of honesty required. If you obtain something that will help you sell something which someone else values for double the price, still you can honor your friendships that helped you obtain that object once that business transaction has been made. Sometimes the lines between friendship and business become blurred and so people need someone who isn't a dictator.

And other times an LSE is blunt about not having cared about certain things. At those times I say "you should care about that for this reason." Shoulds and woulds are all judgements (part of being a rational type is differentiating fine lines).

I know and I realize how finances can really get people down. It makes living and having real wealth and peace of mind so difficult to obtain and when you're an extravert it makes it a lot harder to be happy when all you see is what you don't have.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I guess it could also relate to enneagram 9, but I was under the impression that 9s aren't compartmentalizing emotions, but dissociating from them. The former is still aware of them and deals with them appropriately (or at least tries), while the latter doesn't want to deal with it at all (9s neglect themselves, so to speak). But maybe there is not much difference. I suppose this could be part of a growth point for 9s though.
    I think the only emotion I dissociate from is anger. For some reason that's a really difficult one for me to feel. It physically affects me a lot (I get this horrible feeling in my stomach), but to externalize it is difficult. Sorta shuts me down. It's something I had to work on a lot in drama school.

And when I do get angry with someone it lasts a very long time, I think because it takes such a great effort for me to get there in the first place.

TIM
    it's so pretty type
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Te dominants I know don't think about their feelings or emotions. They would certainly never discuss this topic, even with their own spouse. Too busy working and being completely Te all the time! ;0 They would also all laugh at socionics. What a waste of time, when actual work could be getting done.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As difficult as introspection is for me, I guess I may have it easier than the vast majority of LSEs running around out there.
    SEE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macysmama View Post
    The Te dominants I know don't think about their feelings or emotions. They would certainly never discuss this topic, even with their own spouse. Too busy working and being completely Te all the time! ;0 They would also all laugh at socionics. What a waste of time, when actual work could be getting done.
    LSE are emotional
    -