Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite poems and quotations.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

''When I write, I become a version of myself that isn’t filtered through the detritus and clutter of experience.''

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Kinda corny but it hits the spot

I.
    On my TV screen,
    a magician talks about the record
    for holding one’s breath
    as his assistant lowers herself
    into a tank of water.
    It’s twenty two minutes.
    I would have sworn it would be longer.
    I would have sworn it would be years.

II.
    This is how I remember it:
    On our first date,
    he ran his fingertips across my skin
    like he was reading my palm.
    When I fell asleep with my glasses on,
    He slid them off and cleaned them,
    then placed them on my nightstand, every single time.
    Once, I took a sip of wine,
    shrugged,
    and set my glass down on the table.
    He poured it down the sink.
    Then the entire bottle.
    He said, life is too short for bad wine.
    He said, you deserve better.

III.
    God, I love doing magic tricks.
    I love the way
    I know the lie from the beginning.
    I love the way
    I can see the turn coming.

IV.
    This is the hardest part–
    That boy is not made of fists.
    This is the hardest part–
    That boy
    learned how to braid my hair.
    These things do not un-truth themselves
    when the first door slams.
    I did not stop loving him
    all the months I was holding my breath.
    This is the hardest part,
    the way a fish is still a fish
    even after she’s been gutted.
    Even after her lip’s split clean in half
    from the hook
    and the hook
    and the hook;
    Do you think the fish blames herself?
    And her own stupid, open mouth?
    Do you think the fisherman apologized?
    Said all he wanted was to hold her?
    Said, I’ve touched that hook for years and it never once pierced me, darling, how could I have known?
    Do you think the fish forgave him?
    Said, I’m sorry, too.
    I promise I’ll try harder
    to breathe outside the water.

V.
    This is how I remember it.
    He wrote me a song
    for my birthday
    and he played it any time I asked.
    I still sing it all the time,
    without really even noticing,
    the words a fishhook
    caught inside my mouth.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Getting older is a hard thing to explain to anyone who hasn’t done it yet, which I don’t mean in a patronizing way, just a true one: it’s a strange thing to be in a position to know so much about what you could have done differently with no way to redo any of it. (Time travel into the past is theoretically possible but unlikely, as you may know already.) I don’t mean regret, that’s not the same thing, and I don’t mean I wish I could go back and give advice to my younger self, because my younger self would find my current self unfathomable–not insufferable, I don’t think (I hope) but also not likely someone my younger self could ever imagine growing into, and I wouldn’t want to spoil the surprise."
    Sarah McCarry

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is another world, but it's inside this one.

Paul Éluard

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Occasionally I drop a teacup to shatter on the floor.
    On purpose. I’m not satisfied when it doesn’t gather itself up again.
    Someday, perhaps a cup will come together.

Hannibal Lecter

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They turn up occasionally in this kind of world. They're trouble.
    They're considered to be outsiders even among the garbage of the underground.
    They usually do a lot of damage to everything and then go away.
    But sometimes they survive, thanks to their bestial instincts or sharp wits.
    They can't live without being over the edge. And they spread disaster.

Dutch, Black Lagoon

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

When we were arguing on my twenty-fourth birthday, she left the kitchen, came back with a pistol, and fired it five times from right across the table. But she missed. It wasn’t my life she was after. It was more. She wanted to eat my heart and be lost in the desert with what she’d done, she wanted to fall on her knees and give birth from it, she wanted to hurt me as only a child can be hurt by its mother.
    —Denis Johnson, Dirty Wedding from Jesus’ Son

Inspirational..... (lol Jk, i'm just awestruck by how perfect the prose is, I feel it so hard, I keep coming back to it)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

[Love] promises a way out of our suffering. We suffer from our isolation in our individual separateness. Love reiterates: “If only you possessed the beloved one, your soul sick with loneliness would be one with the soul of the beloved.” Partially at least this promise is a fraud.
    —Georges Bataille, in Erotism: Death and Sensuality

Yeah. So I'm trying....

We have come to forget that a large and important part of life consists in our emotions toward such things as roses and nightingales, the dawn, the sunset, life, death and fate; we forget that we spend much time sleeping, dreaming, thinking, reading, alone; we are not entirely occupied in personal relations; all our energies are not absorbed in making our livings…We long sometimes to escape from the incessant, the remorseless analysis of falling into love and falling out of love, of what Tom feels for Judith and Judith does or does not altogether feel for Tom. We long for some more impersonal relationship. We long for ideas, for dreams, for imaginations, for poetry.
    —Virginia Woolf, “The Narrow Bridge of Art”

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

"Once you become consciously aware of just how powerful your thoughts are, you will realize everything in your life is exactly how you allow it to be."

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"What type of belief can increase the manifestation of synchronicity and its significance?: Total belief in oneself tempered by deep receptivity and empathy to others and the living planet. The world we know and live in may be more mental than we realize. That's the way of culture and cultural trance. If we are to open up to the innate timing of existence, it may not be enough to break cultural trance and open the doors of perception. We may have to walk out through those doors to a place beyond the constructs of the mind itself -- where labels, explanations, and theories fail and where our hearts ignite in a blaze of feral creation." ~ Antero Alli

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Perhaps the ‘stress’ is what does this. Though it’s not stress, really, it’s repeated long-term exposure to the possibility of being blown apart suddenly. It’s the length of the exposure that does it to you, I think. When you’re living with that, it seems you have to stop planning for the future in order to face it. You can’t have dreams and hopes and still operate in a world like that. At least I couldn’t, though I didn’t realize it at the time. Maybe it’s just not that easy to live after you accept your death."

“I loved my last girlfriend so much it felt like I wanted to consume her. Instead, she broke apart trying to keep up with me. She started as this beautiful innocent creature, but she spent two years trying to relate to me and then she was too much with me and she nearly did not pull up in time. It reminds me of a story about an American soldier with his Vietnamese girlfriend during the war there who responded to their issues by getting naked in the shower and fucking with a live grenade suspended between them, which they set off as they came. I wonder how much that girl really wanted to be there, objectively. She only wanted to be with him, and it cost her. I guess he consumed her. I hope she wasn’t faking her orgasms.”

— From a query submitted to Kristin Dombek’s advice column

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

“Most of us let our negative emotions persist longer than is necessary. Becoming suddenly angry, we tend to stay angry - and this requires that we actively produce the feeling of anger. We do this by thinking about our reasons for being angry - recalling an insult, rehearsing what we should have said to our malefactor, and so forth - and yet we tend not to notice the mechanics of this process. Without continually resurrecting the feeling of anger, it is impossible to stay angry for more than a few moments”
    Sam Harris, Waking Up: Searching for Spirituality Without Religion

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    “Most of us let our negative emotions persist longer than is necessary. Becoming suddenly angry, we tend to stay angry - and this requires that we actively produce the feeling of anger. We do this by thinking about our reasons for being angry - recalling an insult, rehearsing what we should have said to our malefactor, and so forth - and yet we tend not to notice the mechanics of this process. Without continually resurrecting the feeling of anger, it is impossible to stay angry for more than a few moments”
    Sam Harris, Waking Up: Searching for Spirituality Without Religion

this is so Ti it pisses me off; heaven forbid I work through my feelings rather than just cut them off in the middle because "if I stop thinking about it I won't be angry" as if repressed anger weren't a thing. I really feel like Sam Harris is kind of an idiot manchild

this is the kind of non solution that leads to people exploding down the line

as if anger itself is wrong. like so what if I'm fanning the flames of my own anger? so what if I do something on the basis of it? the consequences good or bad will lead to learning something. yes if I murder someone cause I was angry and it wasn't justified that's bad. but only the person that bottles everything in in the way he suggests reaches that point. if you understand yourself from day 1 in terms of Fi it won't reach that point, because the filth has clean sewers to process it... anger is the proper response to a lot of things. understanding ones own anger is far more important than refusing to acknowledge anything that provokes it. this is such a stunted way of thinking I feel like it falls into the category of "beliefs so dangerous it may be moral to kill the person for holding it" (this idiocism is another Sam Harrisism, for those who aren't following)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    this is so Ti it pisses me off; heaven forbid I work through my feelings rather than just cut them off in the middle because "if I stop thinking about it I won't be angry" as if repressed anger weren't a thing. I really feel like Sam Harris is kind of an idiot manchild

as if anger itself is wrong. like so what if I'm fanning the flames of my own anger? so what if I do something on the basis of it? the consequences good or bad will lead to learning something. yes if I murder someone cause I was angry and it wasn't justified that's bad. but only the person that bottles everything in in the way he suggests reaches that point. if you understand yourself from day 1 in terms of Fi it won't reach that point, because the filth has clean sewers to process it... anger is the proper response to a lot of things. understanding ones own anger is far more important than refusing to acknowledge anything that provokes it. this is such a stunted way of thinking I feel like it falls into the category of "beliefs so dangerous it may be moral to kill the person for holding it" (this idiocism is another Sam Harrisism, for those who aren't following)
    I'm Fi base and this quote struck a chord with me because I get so angry about petty unresolved shit that happened years ago that I need to work on distracting myself in order to function. When there is no recourse, no resolution, no satisfactory outlet, just the feeling in your guts that serves no purpose except self torture? I'd... rather not

Anger gets a bad rap when it is an appropriate response to injustices imo, and in some contexts it feels reclamatory and relevantly subversive to express it as a woman; I'm definitely not anti-anger.

Actually, I had this post in mind when I saw it: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...=1#post1176906
    Last edited by ashlesha; 03-20-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The anger thing reminded me of this photoset <3 3 3

TIM
    Who knows
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The eyes are not the windows of the soul: they are the doors. Beware what may enter there."
    — Doctor Who, "The Time of Angels"

"Magic is afoot, God is alive.

God is alive, magic is afoot.

Magic never dies. "
    — Leonard Cohen

"The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts."
    — Marcus Aurelius

"Look like the innocent flower,
    But be the serpent under it. "
    — William Shakespeare, Macbeth

"Though this be madness, yet there is method in’t."
    — William Shakespeare, Hamlet

"Your soul is the whole world."
    — Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I love it @LuckyOne .

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Bertrand the dumbass really needs to stay away from Socionics. For his own good.
    Who are you referring to here? It had better not be lungs.

She's given no indication that she's unintelligent. Sadly, I can't say the same for you.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    Who are you referring to here? It had better not be lungs.

She's given no indication that she's unintelligent. Sadly, I can't say the same for you.
    i think they're trying to call me a dumbass

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i think they're trying to call me a dumbass
    LOL are you serious? Why? Hook me up with this drama.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    LOL are you serious? Why?
    that's more thought than I'm willing to give singularity

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is super insightful and well-worded (and funny) and I completely agree with this. I have a lot of problems with repressed anger because of bottling it up all my life, in the exact way you describe. Nothing to add.

TIM
    Who knows
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"My words are unerring tools of destruction, and I’ve come unequipped with the ability to disarm them."
    — Maggie Stiefvater

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind,
    flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
    — Plato

But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep. "
    — Robert Frost

“Don’t confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.”
    — Frank Ocean

“You attract the right things when you have a sense of who you are.”
    — Amy Poehler

"And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time."
    — T.S. Eliot

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I have trouble socializing with people... but I want to."

Christian Wolff, The Accountant

''And when everybody is thinking and nobody is living and feeling anymore, you can do whatever you want to the now helpless distracted people, the people who are caught in a self-perpetuating illusion of their minds.

And since they only operate based on their mind now, I can simply justify every horrible thing I do to them with mere thoughts. It is the law. It is rational. It is moral. It is Science. It is God.

They may have doubts. Sure. But the important thing is not whether they believe me. The important thing is that they have enough doubts not to stand up for themselves. The important thing is not that they like what I do to them. The important thing is that they are afraid enough not to do anything about it.''

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Då lydde alla, när det ljöd: "gevär i hand, reträtt!"
    Sven Duva blott tog miste han och fällde bajonett.
    Än mer, hans svängning till reträtt gick ock besatt på sned,
    Ty långt ifrån att dra sig bort, bröt han på spången ned.
    Där stod han axelbred och styv, helt lugn på gammalt vis,
    Beredd att lära vem som helst sin bästa exercis.

Fänrik Ståls sägner, Sven Duva

Then everyone obeyed, when the call for retreat was sounded
    Sven Duva though, got mixed up and fastned bayonet
    Even more, his swing to retreat was also obsessed askew
    For, far from pulling away, he broke down the boardwalk.
    There he was broad-shouldered and stiff, calm as is his way
    Prepared to teach anyone his best exercise.

The Tales of Ensign Stål, Sven Duva

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Demetrius: Villain, what hast thou done?
    Aaron: That which thou canst not undo.
    Chiron: Thou hast undone our mother.
    Aaron: Villain, I have done thy mother.

― William Shakespeare, Titus Andronicus

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

the tragedy of a species becoming unfit for life by overevolving one ability is not confined to humankind. thus it is thought, for instance, that certain deer in paleontological times succumbed as they acquired overly-heavy horns. the mutations must be considered blind, they work, are thrown forth, without any contact of interest with their environment. in depressive states, the mind may be seen in the image of such an antler, in all its fantastic splendour pinning its bearer to the ground. why, then, has mankind not long ago gone extinct during great epidemics of madness? why do only a fairly minor number of individuals perish because they fail to endure the strain of living—because cognition gives them more than they can carry? cultural history, as well as observation of ourselves and others, allow the following answer: most people learn to save themselves by artificially limiting the content of consciousness. if the giant deer, at suitable intervals, had broken off the outer spears of its antlers, it might have kept going for some while longer. yet in fever and constant pain, indeed, in betrayal of its central idea, the core of its peculiarity, for it was vocated by creation’s hand to be the horn bearer of wild animals. what it gained in continuance, it would lose in significance, in grandness of life, in other words a continuance without hope, a march not up to affirmation, but forth across its ever recreated ruins, a self-destructive race against the sacred will of blood.
    peter wessel zapffe

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Macouba

She wasn't the woman I went to seek.
    I met her by the merest chance.
    She did not speak the French of France,
    But the surded French of Martinique.

She wasn't rich. She wasn't chic.
    She had a most entrancing glance,
    And that was all . .

Cordwainer Smith, "Alpha Ralpha Boulevard"

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Was going on with Adam Savage he's getting into poetry whew

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Uuuugggggghhhhhhhhhhhsjshaja

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't have dreams. How can I say it? I myself am a dream.
    - Ayumi Hamasaki

[Today 07:57 AM] Raver: Life is a ride that lasts very long, but still a ride. It is a dream that we have yet to awaken from.

It's hard to find a love through every shade of grey.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

"Part of her mystery
    is how she is calm
    in the storm and
    anxious in the quiet."

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rudy did not try to physically touch the boy, not even a pat on the shoulder.
    It was an instinctive choice. The boy was solitary; comfort had to come from within.

Jonathan Maberry, The Dragon Factory

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'So a wise man ought no more to take it ill when he clashes with fortune than a brave man ought to be upset by the sound of battle. For both of them their very distress is an opportunity, for the one to gain glory and the other to strengthen his wisdom. This is why virtue gets its name, because it is firm in strength and unconquered by adversity.'

― Boethius, the Consolation of Philosophy

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the flaming light of the morning sky
    the wine in your cup looks like a tulip in spring.
    Drink, and forget that the hammer of fate
    can bring you down at any moment.

― Omar Khayyam

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast