Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Favorite poems and quotations.

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On inquiring into the origin of the philologist I find:

1. A young man cannot have the slightest conception of what the Greeks and Romans were.
    2. He does not know whether he is fitted to investigate into them;
    3. And, in particular, he does not know to what extent, in view of the knowledge he may actually possess, he is fitted to be a teacher. What then enables him to decide is not the knowledge of himself or his science; but

• (a) imitation
    • (b) The convenience of carrying on a kind of work which he had begun at school.
    • (c) His intention of earning a living.

In short, ninety-nine philologists out of a hundred should not be philologists at all.

— Friedrich Nietzsche
    Man will err as long as he strives

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tearsofaclown View Post
    Great quote, but not Aristotle.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/01/09/say-nothing/

I quoted this in my signature a long time ago. A certain user seems to have really laughably misinterpreted at the time I did that, although I won't detract this thread that way now.

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am sitting with a philosopher in the garden; he says again and again 'I know that that’s a tree', pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else arrives and hears this, and I tell him: 'This fellow isn’t insane. We are only doing philosophy.' ~ Ludwig Wittgenstein
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Bruce Springsteen. Him and his father fought. His dad said the army will make a man out of you. And when Bruce failed his Vietnam physical his father was actually glad.

This is ah… When I was growing up, me and my dad used to go at it all the time over almost anything. But, ah, I used to have really long hair, way down past my shoulders. I was 17 or 18, oh man, he used to hate it. And we got to where we’d fight so much that I’d, that I’d spent a lot of time out of the house; and in the summertime it wasn’t so bad, ‘cause it was warm, and my friends were out, but in the winter, I remember standing downtown where it’d get so cold and, when the wind would blow, I had this phone booth I used to stand in. And I used to call my girl, like, for hours at a time, just talking to her all night long. And finally I’d get my nerve up to go home. I’d stand there in the driveway and he’d be waiting for me in the kitchen and I’d tuck my hair down on my collar and I’d walk in and he’d call me back to sit down with him. And the first thing he’d always ask me was what did I think I was doing with myself. And the worst part of it was that I could never explain to him.

I remember I got in a motorcycle accident once and I was laid up in bed and he had a barber come in and cut my hair and, man, I can remember telling him that I hated him and that I would never ever forget it. And he used to tell me: “Man, I can’t wait till the army gets you. When the army gets you they’re gonna make a man out of you. They’re gonna cut all that hair off and they’ll make a man out of you.”

And this was, I guess, ’68 when there was a lot of guys from the neighbourhood going to Vietnam. I remember the drummer in my first band coming over to my house with his marine uniform on, saying that he was going and that he didn’t know where it was. And a lot of guys went, and a lot of guys didn’t come back. And the lot that came back weren’t the same anymore. I remember the day I got my draft notice. I hid it from my folks and three days before my physical me and my friends went out and we stayed up all night and we got on the bus to go that morning and man we were all so scared… And I went, and I failed. I came home [audience cheers], it’s nothing to applaud about… I remember coming home after I’d been gone for three days and walking in the kitchen and my mother and father were sitting there and my dad said: “Where you been?” and I said, uh, “I went to take my physical.” He said “What happened?” I said “They didn’t take me.” And he said: “That’s good.”

The dogs on main street howl,
    'cause they understand,
    If I could take one moment into my hands
    Mister, I ain't a boy, no, I'm a man,
    And I believe in a promised land.

There's a dark cloud rising from the desert floor
    I packed my bags and I'm heading straight into the storm
    Gonna be a twister to blow everything down
    That ain't got the faith to stand its ground
    Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
    Blow away the dreams that break your heart
    Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
    'Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.'

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Thus, you will never find in all nature two identical objects; in the natural order, therefore, two and two can never make four, for, to attain that result, we must combine units that are exactly alike, and you know that it is impossible to find two leaves alike on the same tree, or two identical individuals in the same species of tree.
    That axiom of your numeration, false in visible nature, is false likewise in the invisible universe of your abstractions, where the same variety is found in your ideas, which are the objects of the visible world extended by their interrelations; indeed, the differences are more striking there than elsewhere."

— Honoré de Balzac

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad.”

— Salvador Dalí

TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
    The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
    Hath had elsewhere its setting"

-William Wordsworth
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Erato~459~sx/sp
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Marlowe has often been described as a spy, a brawler, and a heretic, as well as a "magician", "duellist", "tobacco-user", "counterfeiter", and "rakehell".
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

TIM
    Ni-ILI 584 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I turned myself into a pickle, Morty! Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle.
    What do you think about that? I turned myself into a pickle!
    W-what are you just staring at me for, bro.
    I turned myself into a pickle, Morty!

Pickle Rick, Rick and Morty

TIM
    EII 1w9 sp/so
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The worst torment for Ivan Ilyich was the fact that no one pitied him as he would have liked to be pitied. There were moments, after some prolonged suffering, when what Ivan Ilyich wanted most of all—though he would have been embarrassed to confess it—was to have somebody feel sorry for him, as they would for a sick child. He wanted to be caressed, and kissed, and wept over, as children are caressed and comforted. He knew that he was an important judge, with a grey beard, which made all that impossible; but all the same, that was what he wanted.

— Leo Tolstoy, The Death of Ivan Ilyich
    You will burn and you will burn out; you will be healed and come back again.
    — Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TIM
    Erato~459~sx/sp
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

“The Reality of The Other Person Lies Not In What He Reveals To You, But What He Cannot Reveal To You.
    Therefore, If You Would Understand Him, Listen Not To What He Says, But Rather To What He Does Not Say.”

― Kahlil Gibran

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112