Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite poems and quotations.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Since you want to know my opinion about astrology, I can tell you that I've been interested in this particular activity of the human mind since more than 30 years. As I am a psychologist, I am chiefly interested in the particular light the horoscope sheds on certain complications in the character. In cases of difficult psychological diagnosis I usually get a horoscope in order to have a further point of view from an entirely different angle. I must say that I very often found that the astrological data elucidated certain points which I otherwise would have been unable to understand. (This sentence was in a letter written to Hindu astrologer, B.V. Raman, September 6th, 1947)

Astrology would be an excellent example of manifest synchronicity if it had at its disposal thoroughly tested findings. But at least there are some facts thorougly tested and backed up by a wealth of statistics which make the astrological problem seem worthy of philosphical investigation. (Psycholody has no difficulty in recognizing this, since astrology represents the summation of all the psychological knowledge of antiquity.) The Secret of the Golden Flower, by Richard Wilhelm, commentary by C.G. Jung, pg 142

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."

— Ralph Waldo Emerson

This site needs downvotes for people to properly like this

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Gai Eaton, Remembering God

Trauma victims cannot recover until they become familiar with and befriend the sensations in their bodies. Being frightened means that you live in a body that is always on guard. Angry people live in angry bodies. The bodies of child-abuse victims are tense and defensive until they find a way to relax and feel safe. In order to change, people need to become aware of their sensations and the way that their bodies interact with the world around them. Physical self-awareness is the first step in releasing the tyranny of the past.
    —Bessel A. van der Kolk, The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post

Gai Eaton, Remembering God

Trauma victims cannot recover until they become familiar with and befriend the sensations in their bodies. Being frightened means that you live in a body that is always on guard. Angry people live in angry bodies. The bodies of child-abuse victims are tense and defensive until they find a way to relax and feel safe. In order to change, people need to become aware of their sensations and the way that their bodies interact with the world around them. Physical self-awareness is the first step in releasing the tyranny of the past.
    —Bessel A. van der Kolk, The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
    That's beautiful, and true.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to try you have to care for me you are my friend I love you.

Atreyu, The Neverending Story

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

'"It's not about the cards you're dealt, but how you play the hand."

Randy Pausch

"Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. How do you know this is the experience you need? Because this is the experience you are having at the moment."

Eckhart Tolle
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    "Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. How do you know this is the experience you need? Because this is the experience you are having at the moment."
    I think Tolle is a hack though.
    Last edited by Tonatiuh; 06-17-2017 at 05:37 PM.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    I think Tolle is a hack though.
    Yeah, I have always wondered if he was a hack or not. I like the quote though regardless haha.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    Yeah, I have always wondered if he was a hack or not. I like the quote though regardless haha.
    Yeah me too.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nobody is good, nobody is righteous- but in our awareness of that, we can ironically yet sincerely bring forth real serious change to transform the parts others find "evil" in ourselves, that we previously shrugged off in all defiance. We can empathically see ourselves how others see us- and then strive to truly become better.

-Me. (Narcissistically Yours)

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You cannot hope to defeat me!

Wraith, Stargate Atlantis "The Defiant One"

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"​Is it crazy to act crazy in a crazy situation? It has logic. It may even have dignity if dignity is what hallmarks the human spirit and preserves it." - Jeanette Winterson

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"People get the experience they deserve."

— Eckhart Tolle

...Well, that's what I would've said if I were Eckhart Tolle.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Richard Siken

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

As soon as you look at the world through an ideology you are finished. No reality fits an ideology. Life is beyond that. That is why people are always searching for a meaning to life. But life has no meaning; it cannot have meaning because meaning is a formula; meaning is something that makes sense to the mind. Every time you make sense out of reality, you bump into something that destroys the sense you made. Meaning is only found when you go beyond meaning. Life only makes sense when you perceive it as mystery and it makes no sense to the conceptualizing mind.
    — Anthony de Mello

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"My friend Rudi once said, in regards to her uncle who refused to see his mother on her deathbed because he was ‘afraid he couldn’t handle it,’ ‘What does it mean to 'handle something?’ You cry a lot? Maybe get drunk a bunch? Get your fucking act together.’ This never occurred to me: even not coping is coping. You’re doing it right. Nobody ever died of a feeling; no feeling is ever going to be the last feeling, even if you desperately want it to be, so try engine flooding 'em all. Go hard or go home."
    —Lola Pellegrino

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"My friend Rudi once said, in regards to her uncle who refused to see his mother on her deathbed because he was ‘afraid he couldn’t handle it,’ ‘What does it mean to 'handle something?’ You cry a lot? Maybe get drunk a bunch? Get your fucking act together.’ This never occurred to me: even not coping is coping. You’re doing it right. Nobody ever died of a feeling; no feeling is ever going to be the last feeling, even if you desperately want it to be, so try engine flooding 'em all. Go hard or go home."
    —Lola Pellegrino

SFC Cunningham: You didn't used to play baseball did ya? Shit, I know you. You're Merrill Hess! I was there the day you hit that 507-footer over the left field wall, set the record. Man, that thing had a motor on it. It's still the record right?
    Merrill: Got the bat at home on the wall.
    SFC Cunningham: You've got two minor league home-run records, don't ya?
    Merrill: Five.
    SFC Cunningham: Why weren't you in the pros making stacks of cash and getting your toes licked by beautiful women?
    Lionel Prichard: 'Cause he has another record most people don't know about. He has the minor league strikeout record.
    Merrill: Hello Lionel.
    Lionel Prichard: Merrill's a class-A screw up. He would just swing that bat as hard as he could every time. Didn't matter what the coaches said, didn't matter who was on base. He would just whip that bat through the air as hard as he could. Looked like a lumberjack chopping down a tree. Merrill here has more strikeouts than any two players.
    SFC Cunningham: You really got the strikeout record?
    Merrill: Felt wrong not to swing.

I love that because some of the greatest home run hitters also are up there for most strike outs. "Felt wrong not to swing" Have you seen SIGNS?

"And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it, and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“The great mistake is to anticipate the outcome of the engagement; you ought not to be thinking of whether it ends in victory or defeat. Let nature take its course, and your tools will strike at the right moment.”

Bruce Lee

That was that movie. Merrill had great baseball skills but they had a more important purpose than hitting baseballs. Reminds me of Superman and his dad. Superman says he could tear all these guys apart. Score a touchdown every time. And his dad told him he doesn't know why Superman is here but it isn't to play football.

So Merrill is a failed player but if he didn't fail he never would have been there to save his family. Swing away. His tools struck at the right moment.
    "And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it, and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't rain all the time…

Brandon Lee as Eric Draven, The Crow

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The final mystery is oneself. When one has weighed the sun in the balance, and measured the steps of the moon, and mapped out the seven heavens star by star, there still remains oneself. Who can calculate the orbit of his own soul?

Pfft

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As soon as you look at the world through an ideology you are finished. No reality fits an ideology. Life is beyond that. That is why people are always searching for a meaning to life. But life has no meaning; it cannot have meaning because meaning is a formula; meaning is something that makes sense to the mind. Every time you make sense out of reality, you bump into something that destroys the sense you made. Meaning is only found when you go beyond meaning. Life only makes sense when you perceive it as mystery and it makes no sense to the conceptualizing mind.
    — Anthony de Mello
    Someone stole my idea.

*lawsuit*

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love cocaine!

Leslie Chow, The Hangover III

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

"From childhood’s hour I have not been
    As others were—I have not seen
    As others saw—I could not bring
    My passions from a common spring—
    From the same source I have not taken
    My sorrow—I could not awaken
    My heart to joy at the same tone—
    And all I lov’d—I lov’d alone—
    Then—in my childhood—in the dawn
    Of a most stormy life—was drawn
    From ev’ry depth of good and ill
    The mystery which binds me still—
    From the torrent, or the fountain—
    From the red cliff of the mountain—
    From the sun that ’round me roll’d
    In its autumn tint of gold—
    From the lightning in the sky
    As it pass’d me flying by—
    From the thunder, and the storm—
    And the cloud that took the form
    (When the rest of Heaven was blue)
    Of a demon in my view—"

-- EDGAR ALLAN POE

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    Disqualified
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last edited by Theoria; 07-08-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"On the boundary between mind and spirit, words are birds; the mind takes flight."

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

YWIMW

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is so much more to you than you know. Not just pain and anger. There is good, too.
    I felt it. When you can access all of that, you will possess a power no one can match. Not even me.

Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men First Class

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“She kept to herself most of the time, and I suppose I couldn’t blame her for that. It was not hard for her to make friends, it was actually easy, if that is what she wanted.
    She did not have many confidants, either for lack of trust, or because people just couldn’t get her. She was not one to waste her time or breath trying to explain herself to those who view themselves as preachers of righteousness.
    There were things she had been through, terrible things, and you could see her wars dripping from her fingertips.
    I think there was a part of her that enjoyed listening to others; she would rather take on their battles than given her own. A soldier to the end.
    She did talk sometimes of certain moments in her life that burned holes in her soul, and when she did it always sounded as if she was laughing. Like life had tried its best to break her, and the devil himself had no idea what to do with her.
    I think back on a night kind of like this, it was a bit too dark, even for the darkness, and the clouds hung low with thunder looming inside of them. It was about to rain, you could smell it coming, and that is when I wanted to go to her, but I didn’t want to, because she would say things, things that would echo in my mind forever.
    Lightning struck, and the rain began in a slow rhythmic tumble from the sky. She did not turn to look at me, she kept her head tilted to the sky when she said,

“Turn loose your wolves, and I will give them a home in me.”
    -- LL Musings

YWIMW

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been trying to control you since the day we met, and look where that's got us...
    everything that happens now is in your hands. I have faith in you, Raven.

Professor Charles Xavier, Days of Future Past

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vespertine View Post
    Books for general reading always smell bad; the odor of common people hangs about them.

— Friedrich Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal.
    I do not need to know any more about Nietzsche than I already do to know that he was cancer.

Apart from his quote about hope and shit. That's one of my faves.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teal'c: "He's concealing something"
    O'Neil: "Like what?"
    Teal'c: "I don't know, he's concealing it"

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

YWIMW

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Animal Model of Inescapable Shock

If an animal has previously suffered escapable shock, and then she suffers inescapable shock, she will be happier than if she has previously not suffered escapable shock — for if she hasn’t, she will only know about being shocked inescapably.

But if she has been inescapably shocked before, and she is put in the conditions where she was inescapably shocked before, she will behave as if being shocked, mostly. Her misery doesn’t require acts. Her misery requires conditions.

If an animal is inescapably shocked once, and then the second time she is dragged across the electrified grid to some non-shocking space, she will be happier than if she isn’t dragged across the electrified grid. The next time she is shocked, she will be happier because she will know there is a place that isn’t an electrified grid. She will be happier because rather than just being dragged onto an electrified grid by a human who then hurts her, the human can then drag her off of it.

If an animal is shocked, escapably or inescapably, she will manifest deep reactions of attachment for whoever has shocked her. If she has manifested deep reactions of attachment for whoever has shocked her, she will manifest deeper reactions of attachment for whoever has shocked her and then dragged her off the electrified grid. Perhaps she will develop deep feelings of attachment for electrified grids. Perhaps she will develop deep feelings of attachment for what is not the electrified grid. Perhaps she will develop deep feelings of attachment for dragging. She may also develop deep feelings of attachment for science, laboratories, experimentation, electricity, and informative forms of torture.

If an animal is shocked, she will manufacture an analgesic response. These will be incredible levels of endogenous opioids. This will be better than anything. Then later, there will be no opioids, and she will go back to the human who has shocked her looking for more opioids. She will go to the shocking condition — called “science” — and there in the condition she will flood with endogenous opioids, along with cortisol and other things which feel arousing.

Eventually all arousal will feel like shock. She will not be steady, though, in her self-supply of analgesic. She will not always be able to dwell in science, as much as she now believes she loves it.

Anne Boyer

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wall just got ten feet taller.

Donald Trump,
    President of the United States

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's about someone who helped me through a lot and I thought she felt the same way that I did and then she really let me down.

Corey Taylor, about Snuff

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peter: Your antenna, what are they for?
    Mantis: Their purpose?
    Drax: Yes. Quill and I have a bet.
    Peter: You're not supposed to say that…
    Drax: I say: if you are about to go through a doorway that is too low, your antenna will feel this and keep you from being decapitated.
    Peter: Right, and if it's anything other than specifically being decapitated by a doorway, I win.
    Mantis: They are not for feeling doorways!

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dewey: Why is he smoking two cigarettes?
    Reese: Those are his eyes.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast