what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Default Skin care routines that worked for you

Ever find a skin care routine that actually worked really well for you and caused you to have noticeable improvements in your skin?

List your routine, the products you used, and the skin type you have (oily, dry, normal, combination, sensitive, acne prone).
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to use the proactive routine and it kept me super clear and then I went overseas to a garbage dump and my skin has been breaking out ever since. Proactive also changed their formula and it is doing next to nothing for me. I have oily skin.

I'm giving up on proactive now and started the regime that is from acne.org. Basically consists of a wash, toner and a ton of benzoyl peroxide which seems simple enough but it's gotten really good reviews. I truly thought Id be done with breakouts at age 30 but wtf, nope. I find when I wear less makeup I breakout a lot less but it's this frustrating cycle of breaking out and needing makeup to cover it up..I can never be completely clear enough to feel comfortable enough to not wear foundation. I'm ranting..

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sandpaper

TIM
    9w1
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

full-face undiluted iodine spread before night sleep
    unholy water sanguine addiction

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My skin is a highly sensitive mfckr that usually resists control.

The only thing that works for me and keeps it nice, healthy, shiny, and young is a combo of :

- medicinal face cream - Sebamed (I tolerate best the anti-aging formula +Q10 and hyaluron complex)
    - Sebamed face lotion
    - Sebamed soap-free cleansing bar (with olive oil) or liquid face wash for sensitive skin
    - pharmaceutical cream (prepared with special ingredients on demand : tretinoin, urea, lactic acid etc); I use it every other day as a night cream (theoretically it should be used daily, but it's rather drastic in certain respects)
    - La Roche-Posay foundation - Toleriane (actually most of their products are generally good)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rose water, orange blossom water. Better when kept in the fridge. STOP putting chemicals on your face!

edit: I've revealed a big secret here

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I only remember to look out for the words "Salicylic acid" and use vast quantities of shaving foam.

TIM
    IDK
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sev View Post
    full-face undiluted iodine spread before night sleep
    Do you peel off a couple layers of skin after you wake up?

Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I used to use the proactive routine and it kept me super clear and then I went overseas to a garbage dump and my skin has been breaking out ever since. Proactive also changed their formula and it is doing next to nothing for me. I have oily skin.

I'm giving up on proactive now and started the regime that is from acne.org. Basically consists of a wash, toner and a ton of benzoyl peroxide which seems simple enough but it's gotten really good reviews. I truly thought Id be done with breakouts at age 30 but wtf, nope. I find when I wear less makeup I breakout a lot less but it's this frustrating cycle of breaking out and needing makeup to cover it up..I can never be completely clear enough to feel comfortable enough to not wear foundation. I'm ranting..
    I really like the benzol peroxide gel from acne.org. The tube is huge and last practically forever. I use that to treat my breakouts and it works wonders if I use a sensitive skin moisturizer right after it dries.

TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

This is my current routine and I find that my skin has improved a whole lot with it. No more pimples and my scars have faded so I don't have to use as much makeup. My skin type is oily, acne prone and somewhat sensitive.

My first rule of thumbs when I'm looking for products is to make sure that it has no artificial fragrances or dyes. Of course, there are a few exceptions to this rule, but most of the products I use don't have ingredients that are going to unnecessarily irritate my skin.

Cleanser - simple foaming cleanser I like that it's super gentle and removes my makeup pretty well

Eye makeup remover - bio oil (it's probably not supposed to be a make up remover but I find it works fabulously & doesn't feel like anything if it gets in my eye.

Spot treatment - benzoyl peroxide gel from acne.org. I just put a little on my breakouts and they're pretty much gone the next day.

Moisturizer - Eucerin Q10 anti wrinkle sensitive skin cream. I absolutely love it. It doesn't make me break out and adds the perfect amount of hydration for my oily skin. I'm not sure if it does anything for aging, but that's not really my concern at the moment as I don't have wrinkles yet. So far this is the only moisturizer that doesn't break me out, so that itself is a godsend. I use it every morning and night, under my makeup and over my night serums.

Night serum 1 - . Nip & Fab Glycolic serum. An awesome glycolic night serum that has really helped to even out & smooth my completion. It only has 4% glycolic acid, so it's not too irritating on my skin.

Night serum 2 - Mario Badescu peptide renewal serum. Not something I would normally buy... I actually got this one as a freebie. It's super hydrating but doesn't break me out. Super concentrated, so I only need to use a tiny amount. I find that when I use this serum at night, I wake up with bright, plump, freshly hydrated skin. I usually use this serum 2-3 times a week, mostly when I feel I need a break from the glycolic serum.

Masque - I use a mint & lemon facial clay masque about 2 times a week. It really helps out with my pores.

Sunscreen - I use an SPF 30 facial sunscreen from Eucerin. I only use a light dab here & there now that it's cold & I'm hardly ever outside.

My skin has come a long way since switching to more hydrating products meant for sensitive skin. In the past because my skin is so oily, I assumed that I had to use harsh oil & acne fighting ingredients on my skin and skip moisturizer altogether... oh, how wrong I was. Smh.
    Last edited by fox; 11-26-2014 at 03:32 AM.

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Starfall in what order do you use these products? Right now I use a moisturizer w/sunscreen but am going to try separate products. I'm assuming moisturizer before sunscreen? I try to use as little products as possible usually because I hate the feeling of having something on my face (one of the reasons I rarely wear makeup) but I've always worn moisturizer w/sunscreen because 1. my skin feels healthier with moisturizer and 2. I'm very conscious of sun protection. So now I worry that if I try them separately it will feel awful being heavier on my skin than just one product.

TIM
    9w1
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am kind of excited with the kombucha SCOBY stuff i read. want to try drinking it,putting it on my face and swimming in it mb>?

http://becomingpeculiar.com/how-to-s...thout-a-scoby/

loo kat this huge kombucha scoby

unholy water sanguine addiction

First of all, I don't experiment. I used to experimented until I got comedos, whitehead and as a result got acne.

I have oily skin. I use only medical products for acnecic and seborrhoeic skin. The basic components of my face care are acids, sunscreen and mousturizer is also important.

Morning:
    1. Aknicare cleanser (with pyruvic acid).
    2. Aknicare cream/ LRP Hydraphase legre(when I feel my skin is dry).
    3. Aknicare sun SPF 30.

Evening:
    1. Cleanser.
    2. Avene Triacneal (with glycolid acid)/ Acnederm (with azelaic acid)

I don't wear makeup - my face is beautiful! ;d

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Slapping oneself repeatedly on the face brings out a nice rosy complexion

TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by epheme View Post
    @Starfall in what order do you use these products? Right now I use a moisturizer w/sunscreen but am going to try separate products. I'm assuming moisturizer before sunscreen? I try to use as little products as possible usually because I hate the feeling of having something on my face (one of the reasons I rarely wear makeup) but I've always worn moisturizer w/sunscreen because 1. my skin feels healthier with moisturizer and 2. I'm very conscious of sun protection. So now I worry that if I try them separately it will feel awful being heavier on my skin than just one product.
    Stick to the moisturizer with sunscreen by all means if it's working for you. The only reason I use it separately is because I couldn't find the SPF version of my moisturizer at the time (apparently there is an SPF 15 version which I might buy as a day moisturizer for winter. I like a higher SPF during summer). Using two different ones might feel a bit heavy for you. I'd recommend using a moisturizer without SPF for nighttime use, that way you won't have that unnecessary greasiness & chemicals that SPF's tend to give. Also, if you do decide to use them separately, I'd recommend doing moisturizer first, then sunscreen. Ideally you want the moisturizer to soak in, not the sunscreen.

Anyway, my morning routine:
    - cleanse
    - spot treatment (if I have a break out)
    - moisturizer
    - sunscreen

At night before bed:
    - double cleanse
    - Makeup remover (if I need it)
    - spot treatment
    - serum
    - moisturizer

The peptide serum is kind of heavy and tacky, but I figure it doesn't really matter if I'm going to be sleeping anyway. There's no way I would be able to wear it during the day, though. I actually don't really recommend serums for day use anyway, as some of them can cause photo sensitivity.
    Last edited by fox; 01-11-2016 at 12:06 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 5w6 sp/so/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have oily and acne prone skin that will likely persist that way until I'm 6 ft under. I'm in my late twenties and still have break outs.

I use a combination of skin care products to help. Salycyclic acid. Tretinoin (Retin-A), Glycolic Acid (10%), and sometimes Clindamycin (antibiotic). I am allergic to benzoyl peroxide.

The good thing about the first three is that they also are used in anti-aging products. Retin-A is the only FDA approved anti-wrinkle cream; you hear the 5 times weaker version "Retinol" advertised for people who can't find the chemical or prescription. So while it sucks having to use this to prevent acne, it's nice to know I'll be looking like I'm in my late twenties for awhile :-). Don't forget sunscreen either, no matter what skin type you have!

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tretinoin is the strongest anti-aging substance discovered so far on earth. I would never hesitate to recommend it. I've been using it for 4-5 years and it's no joke (I'm in my early 30s and I bet without it that would be a bit more obvious). It ensures some sort of in-depth skin regeneration. I avoid buying "pre-packaged" products, never tried Retin-A. ... tbh I don't trust the composition is for real.
    Last edited by Amber; 11-28-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agni View Post
    Tretinoin is the strongest anti-aging substance discovered so far on earth. I would never hesitate to recommend it. I've been using it for 4-5 years and it's no joke (I'm in my early 30s and I bet without it that would be a bit more obvious). It ensures some sort of in-depth skin regeneration. I avoid buying "pre-packaged" products, never tried Retin-A. ... tbh I don't trust the composition is for real.
    OMG I forgot about this stuff. It is AMAZING. You can almost literally shave years off your appearance. The only thing is, it was super harsh on my skin. Like...bits of skin would come off every time I washed my face but it still looked great and wrinkle free. Now that I'm getting older and noticing some wrinkles on the forehead, I think I'm going to try and get another RX for this. I feel like this stuff is almost like Accutane in a bottle.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

OMG I forgot about this stuff. It is AMAZING. You can almost literally shave years off your appearance. The only thing is, it was super harsh on my skin. Like...bits of skin would come off every time I washed my face but it still looked great and wrinkle free. Now that I'm getting older and noticing some wrinkles on the forehead, I think I'm going to try and get another RX for this. I feel like this stuff is almost like Accutane in a bottle.
    Yes, it can be quite harsh, that's why I use a cream in which other moisturizing and nourishing substances are also placed. I don't think I'd tolerate it alone, because I have sensitive-to-dry skin anyway. I never go out without at least 25 SPF protection and I have to use the other "normal" cream daily to balance out the skin. But the anti-wrinkle effects are really awesome.
    Last edited by Amber; 11-29-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't let advertisers convince you to buy stuff.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Masque - I use a mint & lemon facial clay masque about 2 times a week. It really helps out with my pores.
    That's the only thing I see in your routine that's potentially irritating without having beneficial effects - mint and lemon are both irritants. I like using Aztec Secret Clay as a mask - it's bentonite-based and super good at sucking out oil. It's also pretty cheap, and if you mix it with apple cider vinegar it brings it down to a nice skin-friendly pH and makes it easier to spread

For pore cleansing - maybe try a leave-on salicylic acid product? They're better for oily skin since they penetrate through oil ad get into pores (unlike glycolic acid, which is too water soluble).

For everyone here who's using AHAs (glycolic/lactic acid), I'd highly recommend using a sunscreen with lots of UVA protection (PPD or PA rating, or something that contains avobenzone or zinc oxide or titanium dioxide) - AHAs make your skin photosensitive so if you're trying to smooth out your complexion, not using a good sunscreen will make your skin more prone to unevenness and undo the acid's work!

Yep, since I've been away I've gotten really into skincare haha...
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I feel like this stuff is almost like Accutane in a bottle.
    It pretty much is, chemically speaking!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to have a mixture of oily (nose, forehead, chin) and dry (cheeks) skin and use a lot of different products - don't remember names, but there were lots of them and I'd change them to try new ones every once in a while. In the end what worked the best for me was stopping using any of them. It was hard in the beginning, but I'm not sure if this was because my skin really looked bad/got worse, or just a psychological thing. In any case, I don't have any problems with either oiliness or dryness anymore, no pimples. I only use cream occasionally if it's really cold outside in the winter and my skin is having trouble dealing with the constant changes in the temperature / moisture levels of the air. And I get a lot of compliments for my skin. I'm not saying it's the same for everyone, but I bet that a lot of people have artificially developed a need for skincare products.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have combination skin. The two-step exfoliator from Philosophy makes my face feel like a baby's ass. I've also used ExfoliKate which is in the same price range but nowhere near as good and very stinky and my skin did very well on the old Shiseido The Skincare range. The replacement Ibuki range is ok but not great.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My skin is dry as shit right now. I hate the midwest. I hate lake effect
    winters. I hate the way the air feels and the water. I feel like I need to
    buy special water for my face and ever so carefully wash my hair in
    the bath to avoid getting the tap water on my face. I need to buy
    more of my holy grail moisturizer but it is so expensive I cant.
    Everything interests me but nothing holds me.

TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Here is some really useful information for anyone thinking about using oils on their face or body. I'm really considering getting some hemp seed oil now.

http://www.nakedtruthbeauty.com/blog...-oil-your-skin

TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    That's the only thing I see in your routine that's potentially irritating without having beneficial effects - mint and lemon are both irritants. I like using Aztec Secret Clay as a mask - it's bentonite-based and super good at sucking out oil. It's also pretty cheap, and if you mix it with apple cider vinegar it brings it down to a nice skin-friendly pH and makes it easier to spread

For pore cleansing - maybe try a leave-on salicylic acid product? They're better for oily skin since they penetrate through oil ad get into pores (unlike glycolic acid, which is too water soluble).

For everyone here who's using AHAs (glycolic/lactic acid), I'd highly recommend using a sunscreen with lots of UVA protection (PPD or PA rating, or something that contains avobenzone or zinc oxide or titanium dioxide) - AHAs make your skin photosensitive so if you're trying to smooth out your complexion, not using a good sunscreen will make your skin more prone to unevenness and undo the acid's work!

Yep, since I've been away I've gotten really into skincare haha...
    This is really great information. Yeah, I've stopped using that mask... it was working for a while but then I think it started to irritate my skin. I actually used to use the Aztec Secret Clay mask with apple cider vinegar and loved it! I need to start it up again.

Lately I've started to use a silver gel and it's crazy how well it heals & prevents breakouts. I'm not sure if anyone else has heard about silver gel, but I feel like it works better than benzoyl peroxide for me personally, and without the dryness and irritation.

This is the one that I'm using http://www.amazon.com/American-Biote...rds=silver+gel
    Last edited by fox; 01-07-2015 at 11:41 PM.

TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    From the reviews, that sounds like a miracle product. Can anyone else weigh in on its effectiveness, @octo? I am thinking about an IMPULSE BUY
    I was kinda hoping for a scientific explanation from Octo as well so far, there doesn't seem to be a lot of medical backup to silver products

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver

I heard about this particular product from a skincare forum I was browsing, and from the reviews people were giving I decided it was worth a shot. So far it has taken the place of the benzoyl peroxide I was using in my skin regimen. My boyfriend has forehead acne from wearing hats, and after I used it on him he said his pimples were clearing up.

The Vitamin Shop I frequent has this product as well as a few other silver & colloidal silver products. I had a bad sore throat and decided to get a silver throat spray too since it was working so well for my skin & people were saying it was good for sore throats (from a different company though, I got the the cheapest one)... it could have been a coincidence or placebo, but my sore throat cleared right up shortly after
    Last edited by fox; 01-08-2015 at 10:01 PM.