Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Waking Up Alarmed

It is supposed to be bad for sleep rhythms and perhaps also for the health to be disrupted unnaturally from your sleep...hence alarm clocks are perhaps not ideal.

Being woken naturally by the light or by distant cows may be better, although not good if you need something that will reliably wake you up at the time you need to be up (if you are naturally inclined to sleep for a long time, this is also bad for health!). Perhaps being woken by the playing of some music that is not too stressful would help, or preferably being artfully prodded or rubbed...this works too.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

yes, perhaps i should hire someone to artfully rub me awake every morning.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

...moomoomoomoo

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have 3 alarm clocks that work absolutely fine managed by me ...they fit my personal beloved rhythm and energy demands. I'd never replace them with anything else ...it would be too artificial.

I know some people like hearing idiotic cries (roosters or dogs when the sun comes up) to get into some natural groove. I don't envy them for their lifestyle tbh.
    Last edited by Amber; 11-20-2014 at 01:56 AM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    ...moomoomoomoo

excuse moi? i don't have the space for filthy creatures, nor the inclination to ensure their care.

TIM
    SLI-Si(H)5w6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen some natural light alarms, but as you say I don't see them being too reliable. I thinks it's a better just sticking to a schedule and getting enough sleep. Not too easy in this day and age with fully flexible work and zero hours.

As we reach for the stars, we must put away childish things; gods, spirits and other phantasms of the brain. Reality is cruel and unforgiving, yet we must steel ourselves and secure the survival of our race through the unflinching pursuit of science and technology.
    - Stellaris

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought this was about waking up alarmed as in, in a state of panic.

LOL

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://sleepyti.me/

this is great. it wakes you up based on sleep cycles so you can actually sleep less but wake more refreshed.

sleepyti.me works by counting backwards in sleep cycles. Sleep cycles typically last 90 minutes.

Waking up in the middle of a sleep cycle leaves you feeling tired and groggy, but waking up in between cycles lets you wake up feeling refreshed and alert!
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh noooo, the op was obviously kind of unhappy with his current lifestyle and curious about 1 or 2 healthy ways to change his dream patterns .... but instead of forcing his own hand to wake up, he was Te-seeking and relying on community input to be applied later.

So in case individual habits of us modest forum members don't help, here are some more tried and tested tips:
    http://usvsth3m.com/post/74731650238...ing-waking-you

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband has sleep issues, and this

http://www.amazon.com/UP-24-Jawbone-...6451890&sr=1-1

has helped him.

It will gently vibrate to wake you.

It monitors your sleep, so you can study your sleep patterns over time.

It can be set to wake you up at an optimal time in your sleep cycle, so you don't wake from deep sleep and spend the day feeling shitty. Downside is you'll possibly be awakened earlier than your alarm setting.
    Last edited by golden; 11-20-2014 at 04:23 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found that if I sleep in intervals of three hour segments I wake up ready almosy always. Even if its just 3 hours, its typically better than 7.

Ifni wake at 6 its better to go to sleep at 3 than it is at 11 for me.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought this was about waking up in a panic too. Which I was excited about because I often do wakeup in a panic and thought I could discuss it with someone else who has this problem lol. It only happens if I nap during the day. It's sheer panic when i wakeup mostly because i feel like my entire day was wasted and i have no idea what time it is. It's weird. Well anyway, that was off topic..

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I thought this was about waking up in a panic too. Which I was excited about because I often do wakeup in a panic and thought I could discuss it with someone else who has this problem lol. It only happens if I nap during the day. It's sheer panic when i wakeup mostly because i feel like my entire day was wasted and i have no idea what time it is. It's weird. Well anyway, that was off topic..
    Yeah this happens to me too, for the same reasons. One time I woke up and immediately ran into the kitchen shouting, *alarming* () my bf a great deal.

If I'm well rested it doesn't really happen. And I avoid naps too.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Reading about 90 minute sleep cycles and about it takes on average 14 minutes to get to sleep from @Allie's link fits in with this link I found from a while ago:

Slight gender variations were recorded with regard to the correlation between sleep levels and time needed off work due to sickness, with researchers finding the optimal amount of rest for women was seven hours and 38 minutes, while men needed seven hours and 46 minutes.
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interacti...6596-t116.html

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I use a version of that jawbone for a while . It was not meant for regulating sleep , but movement after a drastic change of lifestyle and diet . I wanted to start walking and exercising as much as necessary every day and this was awesome tool. As a by-effect it can help you keep healthy sleep patters too . All the better . It worked well - rounded for me .

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I don't usually use alarm clocks and when I do I often don't even hear them. The best way for me to wake up on time is to really intensely focus on it before going to bed. Knowing I absolutely have to do something is usually enough to wake me up two hours early, which sucks if I only got 3 hours sleep. I guess I program myself before bed. Other than that I will ask someone to wake me up, very gently and I prefer if they don't touch me until they know I am awake. I would give some leeway to boyfriends on this, for obvious reasons.

My mom used to stand at my doorway and throw a wet towel at me to wake me up when I was young. If I was awakened when I wasn't ready, I would wake up very aggressive and disoriented. I am not like that anymore but I can be grumpy if someone wakes me, when I'm not ready, for insignificant reasons. I thought my mom was such a bitch for doing this but she was just desperate. I could sleep for 12 hours straight easily. I missed a lot of school, in my teens (when I really got bad with my sleep cycles), because she would wake me before she went to work and I would go back to sleep until noon.
    Last edited by Aylen; 01-17-2015 at 08:05 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I need to start putting my alarm clock in the bathroom...