Banned
    TIM
    f a g g o t
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Caulfield

Type Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye everyone's read or started to read once in their lives.

Go.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEE

Banned
    TIM
    f a g g o t
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maithili View Post
    IEE
    More reasoning behind this typing?

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember thinking he seemed like some sort of INxx or maybe an unstable ESI. Super indignant. Kind of obsessive and caught up in fantasies. I'd lean introverted and ethical for him and Fi valuing at that, but it's been such a long time since I've read the book its hard for me to remember.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6w5 sp/sx
    fuck that guy

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im on the fuck that guy wave too. Narcisstic rubbish narrative.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah I support Holden. Stick it to the man. You don't need none their phony rules. I dunno some introverted...feeling...type. ESI?

Let me see what I remember. He's growing up and doesn't like the rules that the world faces. Instead he just wants to do what he thinks is right. That seems ES's I who wants to stick to his own Fi values and isn't afraid to stand by them because of his Se. He also seems a bit more anti-other people than an EII would seem. He's also looking for some sense of completeness or reason or purpose for himself and what he's doing: Ni-seeking?

Also he's based off Salinger (the author) apparently, so even if he isn't a real character or if his type is just "angsty teenage boy", it's still possible to type the character.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I typically love Novels with unreliable narratators, but this book read as a rather uneventful story where I just couldnt believe anything the character told me.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

IEE-Fi maybe?

Banned
    TIM
    f a g g o t
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certainly felt bad for him. Reading the book kinda let me mind-meld with him in a way you can't normally do with people.

Though, while he called everything fake and phony, he lied far too much for someone who values sincerity as much as he claimed. People like him seriously scare the living shit out of me......people who feel one way and yet seamlessly say the opposite to your face. Scary fucking dude.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

some sort of rootless rebellious LSI (or even ESI) could work

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

what about SLI? is Fi ego a given?

i havent read the book in years. i was a teenager myself at the time. i didn't think he was really awful, just self absorbed but not very self aware. but i remember thinking the book was a little overrated.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

J D Salinger is IEE so Holden Caufield is also probs IEE. E6 and stuff.

i remember the part in the book where he doesn't have sex with the hooker, because he feels like it would corrupt her or something. disgustingly unashamedly delta NF.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    i remember the part in the book where he doesn't have sex with the hooker, because he feels like it would corrupt her or something.
    lol, i had completely forgotten about this. it could be delta NF but i could see it from an SLI too.
    i know all about caregivery Fi ha :/ :/ :/ ://////

i hardly remember the book, though, so ignore me, probably.

Banned
    TIM
    f a g g o t
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    J D Salinger is IEE so Holden Caufield is also probs IEE. E6 and stuff.

i remember the part in the book where he doesn't have sex with the hooker, because he feels like it would corrupt her or something. disgustingly unashamedly delta NF.
    Salinger an extratrim?

It's interesting that a 6 can be that strongly emotional and introverted even though they're supposed to be head-triad Central and logical. I'm going to have to think about that one.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is Holden's hatred for "phonies" supposed to be some Ti-polr thing? Cos I don't really see it. I feel like Fi-leading would be more of a match for that kind of behaviour.

I also can't imagine an SLI settling him down and helping him through his deep existential angst. SLI be all like "That's cool, Holden. Come look at my shelf I'm making. Ah the serenity."
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I think IEE-Fi is good for JD Salinger and thus for Holden Caufield

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ClownsandEntropy View Post
    So is Holden's hatred for "phonies" supposed to be some Ti-polr thing? Cos I don't really see it. I feel like Fi-leading would be more of a match for that kind of behaviour.
    it's bcuz E6 'n' stuff

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is IEE a "vibes" thing, or is there something in the book which I've forgotten? Is it just his entire ideology of Salinger sees the world which feels IEE-y?
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm impressed by people's tendency to type the protagonist of a novel the same thing as a writer.

Salinger is probably IEE, Caulfield behaves as a Se ego. Tbh I think ESI E6 works best ...but a twisted and alienated specimen. Off-topic, but I've never liked this book.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Salinger has identified with him quite a bit apparently.

"He loved Lost Horizon. It's a movie about this place where you never grow old. ... And he said that the only person who ever could have played Holden Caulfield was himself." - Joyce Maynard, Salinger's SEI-Fe girlfriend.

IEE-Fi works with soc instinct overtones to the story, the other possibility being ESI.