Thread: cool documentaries

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://vimeo.com/121705174
    Japan's Disposable Workers: Net Cafe Refugees

The Poisoner's Handbook - The Standards for The Rest of The America

Gettler and Norris striked me as two Delta STs. Mirror relationship.

Alexander Gettler was a toxicologist with the Office of Chief Medical Examiner of the City of New York (OCME) between 1918 and 1959, and the first forensic chemist to be employed in this capacity by a U.S. city.His work at OCME with Charles Norris, the chief medical examiner, created the foundation for modern medicolegal investigation in the U.S. and Gettler has been described by peers as "the father of forensic toxicology in America."
    Last edited by Moonbeaux Rainfox; 07-18-2015 at 07:03 PM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Bright Lights, Brilliant Minds (A Tale of Three Cities):
    Dr James Fox tells the story of three cities in three exceptional years - cities whose artists and thinkers, writers and musicians set the world on a new course.

episode 1, Vienna 1908: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24...na-1908_travel
    episode 2, Paris 1928: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24...is-1928_travel
    episode 3, New York 1951: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25...-1951_creation

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Saints and Sinners: Britain's Millennium of Monasteries
    Janina Ramirez discovers how monasteries shaped all aspects of medieval Britain and created a dazzling array of art, architecture and literature, a story of faith, sacrifice, violence and corruption.

episode 1: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2j9jib
    episode 2: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2j9f0p
    episode 3: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2j9e0f

about as cool as a documentary series on monasteries can get

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

A History of Art in Three Colours
    "Dr James Fox explores how, in the hands of artists, the colours gold, blue and white have stirred our emotions, changed the way we behave and even altered the course of history."

Episode 1: Gold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grULH297m48
    Episode 2: Blue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h83jaUTBlX0
    Episode 3: White http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jd5ey

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Islam - The Untold Story
    https://vimeo.com/79051482

If you are a Muslim, you may find this documentary offensive. I think it is accurate and a fair representation though: it was good to have a historian speaking without fear on the subject.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Plantagenets (about the monarchs of England between 1154 and 1485)
    "Professor Robert Bartlett tells the extraordinary story of England's most dysfunctional, yet longest ruling, royal dynasty."

Episode 1, The Devil's Brood: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2e...s-brood_school
    Episode 2, An English Empire:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2e...english-empire
    Episode 3, The Death of Kings: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2e...death-of-kings

I rather liked Robert Bartlett's narration style (including the somewhat unusual way of pronouncing some words)...he reminds also me of a cross between Bryan Ferry and Richard III (in a good way!).

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's i.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.e.

the e.t.s are going to save us by turning a universal pattern into a magical source of energy so that all humankind can t.h.r.i.v.e.

thanks, @wacey

eta: actually... ahem... i don't find a lot of this hard to swallow... already i've had lots of thoughts... and i already believed some of these things... such as the u.s. political system being useless and entirely controlled by corporate agendas. and even now it's saying something that just occurred to me earlier... the corporations (banks) responsible for destroying the environment, can then use this crisis to make us agree to greater domination (global government control, so as to fix this crisis "in time"!). it's not that it's not a crisis (it is) but it's engineered as well. they would be gambling the natural world (really pushing the limit) so as to create a terrible crisis, that they will then benefit from. it's the sort of crisis that might inspire the globe to come together as an alternative to war over dwindling resources. although a preceding war could help scare people more before this point (but i don't think it would be necessary). before watching this i already thought that key families probably were ruling the world. so this really does make sense...
    Last edited by marooned; 09-05-2015 at 09:18 AM.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post

it's i.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.e.

the e.t.s are going to save us by turning a universal pattern into a magical source of energy so that all humankind can t.h.r.i.v.e.

thanks, @wacey

eta: actually... ahem... i don't find a lot of this hard to swallow... already i've had lots of thoughts... and i already believed some of these things... such as the u.s. political system being useless and entirely controlled by corporate agendas. and even now it's saying something that just occurred to me earlier... the corporations (banks) responsible for destroying the environment, can then use this crisis to make us agree to greater domination (global government control, so as to fix this crisis "in time"!). it's not that it's not a crisis (it is) but it's engineered as well. they would be gambling the natural world (really pushing the limit) so as to create a terrible crisis, that they will then benefit from. it's the sort of crisis that might inspire the globe to come together as an alternative to war over dwindling resources. although a preceding war could help scare people more before this point (but i don't think it would be necessary). before watching this i already thought that key families probably were ruling the world. so this really does make sense...

Haha inumbra, THRIVE was the movie I said was dumb.... on second thought its ok.

Yes I've seen all 2 and a half hours of it. Its kind of like a higher production value version of "addendum".
    Last edited by wacey; 09-05-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Haha inumbra, THRIVE was the movie I said was dumb....

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Ascent of Woman
    episode 1: Civilisation: Civilisation has given humanity extraordinary advances - codes of law and commerce, science and art. But what does it look like from the point of view of women? Travelling from the nomadic worlds of the Eurasian steppes to the early civilisations of Mesopotamia, Egypt, ancient Greece and Rome, Dr Amanda Foreman explores how early civilisations dealt with the roles and status of women and, in so doing, she asks some profound questions about the legacy they've left behind.

episode 2: Separation: Travelling to Vietnam, China and Japan, Dr Amanda Foreman explores the role of women in Asia under the philosophy religions of Confucianism and Buddhism.

episode 3: Power: Dr Amanda Foreman travels to Istanbul, Germany, Paris and Delhi to explore the stories of women behind some of the most powerful empires of the Middle Ages.

episode 4: Revolution: In this final film, Dr Amanda Foreman looks at the role of women in revolutions that have transformed the modern world, from political uprisings to reproductive rights.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Islam - The Untold Story
    https://vimeo.com/79051482

If you are a Muslim, you may find this documentary offensive. I think it is accurate and a fair representation though: it was good to have a historian speaking without fear on the subject.
    yawn.

The Ascent of Woman - episode 1
    1. Civilisation: Travelling from the Eurasian steppes to the sites of early civilisations, Dr Amanda Foreman explores how early civilisations dealt with the roles and status of women.
    double yawn.

cherry on top

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White People | Official Full Documentary | MTV - What It's Like To Be White?

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Last edited by silke; 06-15-2017 at 07:20 PM. Reason: updated video links

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

TIM
    Gamma
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJay View Post
    I like the Prog Rock one and the Extreme Metal by Sam Dunn as well, but this one on NWOBHM......this era was so influential. Sam Dunn.........SEE?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hatesyardwork View Post
    I like the Prog Rock one and the Extreme Metal by Sam Dunn as well, but this one on NWOBHM......this era was so influential. Sam Dunn.........SEE?
    I am not sure, but very informational, none-the-less.

netflix and don't touch me Emmym's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is like the essence of Ne-dom to me lol. This is more Ne than I will ever have.
    someday the grapes will be wine
    and someday you will be mine

EII-Ne 2w3 - 9w1 - 7w8 so/sx

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Last edited by silke; 11-19-2016 at 11:52 PM.

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Comic Relief Zero!

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slingshot - available now on Netflix. Very worthwhile. Very inspiring.

And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

This series was on TV in 2011, but I noticed it being repeated. I remember it being awesome. It happens to be narrated by John Hurt.

Human Planet is an 8-part award winning British television documentary series. It is produced by the BBC with co-production from Discovery and BBC Worldwide. It describes the human species and its relationship with the natural world by showing the remarkable ways humans have adapted to life in every environment on Earth.

1. Oceans – Into the Blue
    2. Deserts – Life in the Furnace
    3. Arctic – Life in the Deep Freeze (this link has subtitles in Spanish, which may be a nuisance)
    4. Jungles – People of the Trees
    5. Mountains – Life in Thin Air
    6. Grasslands – Roots of Power
    7. Rivers – Friend and Foe
    8. Cities – Surviving the Urban Jungle

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

This series was on TV in 2011, but I noticed it being repeated. I remember it being awesome. It happens to be narrated by John Hurt.

Human Planet is an 8-part award winning British television documentary series. It is produced by the BBC with co-production from Discovery and BBC Worldwide. It describes the human species and its relationship with the natural world by showing the remarkable ways humans have adapted to life in every environment on Earth.

1. Oceans – Into the Blue
    2. Deserts – Life in the Furnace
    3. Arctic – Life in the Deep Freeze (this link has subtitles in Spanish, which may be a nuisance)
    4. Jungles – People of the Trees
    5. Mountains – Life in Thin Air
    6. Grasslands – Roots of Power
    7. Rivers – Friend and Foe
    8. Cities – Surviving the Urban Jungle
    Great series.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Mark Steel Lectures (These are half an hour each).
    "Written and delivered by Mark Steel, each scripted lecture presents arguments for the importance of a historical figure."
    (I think Mark Steel is IEE).

S01 E01: Lord Byron (wiki)
    S01 E02: Isaac Newton (wiki)
    S01 E03: Sigmund Freud (wiki)
    S01 E04: Aristotle (wiki)
    S01 E05: Charles Darwin (wiki)
    S01 E06: Karl Marx (wiki)

S02 E01: Ludwig van Beethoven (wiki)
    S02 E02: Leonardo Da Vinci (wiki)
    S02 E03: Mary Shelley (wiki)
    S02 E04: Thomas Paine (wiki)
    S02 E05: Sylvia Pankhurst (wiki)
    S02 E06: Albert Einstein (wiki)

S03 E01: Oliver Cromwell (wiki)
    S03 E02: Charlie Chaplin (wiki)
    S03 E03: Ren้ Descartes (wiki)
    S03 E04: Geoffrey Chaucer (wiki)
    S03 E05: Harriet Tubman (wiki)
    S03 E06: Che Guevara (wiki)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Genius of the Modern World
    "Historian Bettany Hughes retraces the lives of three great thinkers whose ideas shaped the modern world - Karl Marx, Frederick Nietzsche and Sigmund Freud."

1. Marx
    2. Nietzsche
    3. Freud

I thought the Nietzsche episode was especially good, and that the Marx episode was rather weak.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Joy of Data
    A witty and mind-expanding exploration of data, with mathematician Dr Hannah Fry. This high-tech romp reveals what data is and how it is captured, stored, shared and made sense of. Fry tells the story of the engineers of the data age, people most of us have never heard of despite the fact they brought about a technological and philosophical revolution.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by marooned; 09-07-2016 at 05:48 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast