Thread: Skepticism

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Skepticism

Something I noticed I do:

Often, when someone makes some sort of claim in conversation, I have a very strong, visceral reaction against it, almost without thought. I will often voice my skepticism, sounding rather negative, or present what (I think) is the correct knowledge. This happens often when people without a science background start misusing science, often as part of a political agenda. That kind of stuff frustrates me, but I am also a downer when people buy a new product that claims to do this or that and sounds bogus to me or with New Agey stuff, or any religion really.

This seems very natural for me to do, part of my temperament. Anyone else similar in behavior? What's this about yo?

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do the same thing.

It's not so much that i'm always skeptical, I can be happy optimistic and enthusiastic about things. It's just when others are very convinced/happy/overly optimistic i feel the need to grind their face in the dirt and tell them why, yes they are, very stupid.
    I derive a sense of superiority from the fact that I can see through almost everything (that is, see everything in the worst negative light possible) and only CHOOSE to still like certain things.

That said, when people are overly pessimistic or skeptical i'll swing in the opposite direction.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't think I've ever thought someone else was too skeptical, maybe too negative though.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can never have too much skepticism...
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.