TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Regulatory Focus and Type

Hey all,

I was wondering if you'd heard about Regulatory Focus? Here's a nice summary: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/psycholog.../research.html

A prevention focus emphasizes safety, responsibility, and security needs...A promotion focus emphasizes hopes, accomplishments, and advancement needs.
    I was wondering if you thought this had any relevance for socionics type? Here's my thoughts

Could it be and J vs P thing? Prevention-focused are more concerned with what they ought to do, responsibilities, etc. Promotion-focused are more concerned about what they want to do, what the ideal would be. Ijs seem to fall in that first category and Eps with their frivolous lifestyles and careless shenanigans are just in it for themselves. Goddamit I hate SLEs (Just kidding)

Could it be a positivism vs negativism thing? For prevention focus, they are focused on minimising "misses", which sounds pretty negativist. A successful outcome is when they do something which is absent of errors. For promotion focus, they are focused on maximising "hits". A succesful outcome is when there are a lot of successes.

Could it be judicious vs decisive? For prevention-focus, they tend to be vigilant. For promotion-focus, they tend to be enthusiastic. I'm not keen on this argument but though I'd suggest it anyway.
    Last edited by ClownsandEntropy; 11-01-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never heard of it. Reminds me of the relationship I have with my SLI roommate. He is definitely prevention focused while I'm promotion focused. In fact, most of the delta STs I know are more prevention focused while Gamma NTs and Beta NFs are promotion focused. I can't really speak for the rest of the types but the LxIs i've known seem more prevention focused. Don't know what it's related to...
    Last edited by Contra; 11-01-2014 at 07:55 AM.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was also thinking it could be a + and - thing, you know with one being maximising the good parts and the other being minimising the bad parts. However, a few LIEs and SLEs I know are pretty promotion-focused and good at trying to seek out accomplishment.

Interesting you classify yourself as promotion-focused. A few Gamma extroverts I know seem promotion-focused. I'm myself pretty prevention-focused, and I know prevention-focused ILEs and SEIs.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy