Thread: telling the difference between SLI and LII based on verbal and non-verbal cues

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default telling the difference between SLI and LII based on verbal and non-verbal cues

Backing away from inner workings and all that at the moment and looking only at verbal and non-verbal cues such as gait, vocabulary, frequency of eye contact, tendency to laughter and manner of dress. Pretty much anything you can think of. Is one more anal than the other? Any cheat codes I can use to figure this one out?

My actual dilemma: contemplating whether or not to work with someone next year. I still can't tell if he's an SLI or an LII and I have heard that relationships of supervision are not fun.

I posted about him on the What's your type thread and got a few SLI responses but I met him again today and when I paid attention his vocabulary it all seemed very TiNe-esque! Ne generalisation words ('basically,' 'in general'), talking about researching a "fundamental process" and how that would contribute to the development of clinical therapy.

BUT I think I may have found an account of his on a forum and there he comes across as more of an SLI.

Long story short, this is killing me.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi galen! how's the weather down there in cali

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A pleasant and cloudless 65 degrees.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

super duper

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know either. I just went with the flow. Googled weather in California and everything.

Gait:
    SLIs have a very smooth, graceful gait. They take their time, enjoy the process of walking. They are not clumsy.
    LIIs move and talk faster, their attention is mostly in their heads than in their bodies, and it shows through slight jerkiness. Their breathing is also shallower.

Vocabulary:
    SLIs are concise, they'll use fewer and simpler words over complex, unless there is a practical need for them.
    LIIs can be verbal artists, they use many more words to flesh out their ideas, having fun with wordplay. Some are quite witty and talented in this regard, creating interesting analogies, puns, even new words to get their ideas across. Both use words like "basically" but LIIs will go into detail and fully explain their relevance, SLIs expect others to pick up the thread of their ideas on their own initiative (if they share their ideas at all).

Frequency of eye contact:
    SLIs make more direct eye contact, even when they seem distracted they are subconsciously carefully noticing every movement around them.
    LIIs are typical intuitives, their eyes either dart around (Ne) or zone out (Ni) even when they are directly interacting with someone. Duration of direct eye contact is much shorter.

Tendency to laughter:
    SLIs are closed off to strangers beyond some forced smiling, they'll only laugh genuinely and openly around people they've developed an Fi bond with.
    LIIs don't distinguish friends from strangers, they can easily laugh with both. Their emotions are also more inclusive, democratic. They don't hesitate to make fun of themselves or others if it'll lighten the mood. SLIs are relatively haughty, as though they are laughing at you rather than with you, or laughing at some private insight.

Manner of dress:
    SLIs dress better, their clothes fit well and the colors match. Their style tends to reflect their peer group.
    LIIs ignore the dress style of their peer group, they wear whatever they personally like, sometimes this can be very unique eg. purple hair. Sometimes their clothes are badly fitting and of poor quality, but they'll resist changing for the sake of impressing others.
    Last edited by ConcreteButterfly; 10-28-2014 at 05:24 AM.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Sounds like this person is already making you walk on eggshells.
    I don't think I'd be walking on eggshells if I didn't have a preliminary knowledge of socionics and anecdotes about supervision, though, since he's fairly nice and instructional. I like him quite a bit. Which is normal-- I've never actually had a bad encounter with an LII. Then again, I've never been very close to one.

Since making this post I've figured that he's probably more LII than SLI but I'll be working much more with his post-doc than with him and he's instructional enough in an easy-to-understand way that I like. Tends to go over-the-top with explanations whenever I ask stuff which is thus far my only complaint. He makes sure to use diagrams and drawings when communicating his ideas with me so that I understand what he's saying.

There's an LSE in the department who I can work with but he seems like he has no idea what he is doing.

I'll make sure to hop onto the intertype subforum and have a whinge if I end up having a terrible relationship with my LII dude. For now I'll just make sure I keep everything professional, which is what I was intending to do anyway.
    Last edited by yifflord; 10-29-2014 at 02:54 AM.