TIM
    ILI ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Pride

Main article: Pride

Building the Tower of Babel was, for Dante, an example of pride. Painting byPieter Brueghel the Elder

In almost every list, pride (Latin, superbia), or hubris (Greek), is considered the original and most serious of the seven deadly sins, and the source of the others. It is identified as believing that one is essentially better than others, failing to acknowledge the accomplishments of others, and excessive admiration of the personal self (especially holding self out of proper position toward God). Dante's definition was "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbour". In Jacob Bidermann's medieval miracle play, Cenodoxus, pride is the deadliest of all the sins and leads directly to the damnation of the titulary famed Parisian doctor. In perhaps the best-known example, the story of Lucifer, pride (his desire to compete with God) was what caused his fall from Heaven, and his resultant transformation into Satan. In Dante's Divine Comedy, the penitents are burdened with stone slabs on their necks which force them to keep their heads bowed.
    Olly is about to add something constructive but he is so slow today...

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You know you could google this, right!? or are you pretending to be oblivious?

It's the 2 which you seem to identify as. It's funny, I was looking up pride vs vanity earlier and gluttony vs lust. In a dictionary description, pride has 'excessive vanity...' in it to describe it and gluttony mentions excess and I've also seen excess tied with 8's lust. I guess perhaps 'excess' could be over fixation in general though which is what enneagram is sort of about. With 8s though, the excess is more like wanting a lot of whatever they want? and expansion. And with 7s, it's an insatiable hunger which is also why they are a frustration type. One dude says 7s want a taste of everything and 8s eat the whole thing and swallow. Another says 7s wants variety and 8s a lot of the same.

With pride vs vanity, I guess pride is a 2 vice because helping, seducing and being of service to others can make one feel prideful. The pride can be a bit annoying too, you know. Like having someone help you especially when you didn't ask for it and then they point out your perceived ungratefulness in response to wounding their pride in some way. "After all I've done for you!", haha. With 3, vanity is that they want to be successful and they identify with their success, what they've achieved, their status, etc. Some find 3s narcissistic but 7s are usually the true narcissists in that they can feel like the shit even if they haven't achieved anything whereas 3s need to be successful in some way to feel like they're awesome. 2s can be a bit narcissistic too and I've seen them titled as egocentric generosity and flattering narcissist. (sorry a bit ranty)
    Last edited by Olly From Wally World; 10-17-2014 at 08:05 PM.

TIM
    ILI ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ollyx2OxenFree View Post
    You know you could google this, right!? or are you pretending to be oblivious?

It's the 2 which you seem to identify as. It's funny, I was looking up pride vs vanity earlier and gluttony vs lust. In a dictionary description, pride has 'excessive vanity...' in it to describe it and gluttony mentions excess and I've also seen excess tied with 8's lust. I guess perhaps 'excess' could be over fixation in general though which is what enneagram is sort of about. With 8s though, the excess is more like wanting a lot of whatever they want? and expansion. And with 7s, it's an insatiable hunger which is also why they are a frustration type. One dude says 7s want a taste of everything and 8s eat the whole thing and swallow. Another says 7s wants variety and 8s a lot of the same.

With pride vs vanity, I guess pride is a 2 vice because helping, seducing and being of service to others can make one feel prideful. The pride can be a bit annoying too, you know. Like having someone help you especially when you didn't ask for it and then they point out your perceived ungratefulness in response to wounding their pride in some way. "After all I've done for you!", haha. With 3, vanity is that they want to be successful and they identify with their success, what they've achieved, their status, etc. Some find 3s narcissistic but 7s are usually the true narcissists in that they can feel like the shit even if they haven't achieved anything whereas 3s need to be successful in some way to feel like they're awesome. 2s can be a bit narcissistic too. (sorry a bit ranty)
    I googled it! I think my mom is 1w2 or 2w1.. I haven't decided yet but she is LSI for sure.

Two’s Pride is often described as having an underlying sense of entitlement for having served others in some way; they’ve earned it, in other words. But if Pride were distilled down to its full potency, its essence would be revealed as “I’m entitled, period. Because I exist.” Going back, again, to the newborn’s preconceptual narcissistic field of adoration: at an unconscious level, Pride assumes (for Itself) the existence of a pledge, that “this is the way things are supposed to be”, i.e.- the Two should exist in a sanctuary of love, nurturance and adoration. But subsequently “Mom betrayed me by depriving me of it.” The demanding nature of entitlement (guilt trips and manipulation seen in Twos) then reflects the power dynamic of the Rejection types (2, 5, 8), in this case believing that the Other (whomever the Two is in close relations with) is inherently obligated.

At a semi-conscious level, the Two attempts to bring to the surface this sense of obligation that they believe exists somewhere in the other person. The Two’s efforts to earn love and appreciation are intended to amp up the other person’s sense of their own innate indebtedness to the Two, since the other is evidently blind to their obligation, as evidenced by Utopia’s failure to re-emerge. Pride says that the other person’s duty to love the Two is simply part of Nature; but since the Other isn’t ever quite getting right, in the idyllic sense, or they’re sometimes withdrawing or pulling it away, Twos feel the need to magnify the Other’s obligation to the point where they’ll become aware of it. Hence, the underlying manipulative power dynamic; making Other corroborate what Nature decreed as Two’s birthright.

http://enneasite.com/the-types/e2-the-nurturer
    Last edited by Aylen; 10-17-2014 at 07:59 PM.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"