Thread: Se, Si and beauty

Default Se, Si and beauty

Which function is responsible for the perception of beauty, Se or Si? Or something else?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there's beauty in tragedy, Se and Si cannot be solely responsible.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

beauty is a judgment, so a rational function needs to come into play at some point.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the most basic use of the term beauty, Se for objective beauty (I can look at a person and tell that they are good looking without feeling feeling attracted to that person, for example) and Si for attraction/how seeing something beautiful makes you feel.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Ok so how about = judgment of beauty, = the emotional reaction to it (crying, smiling, etc.) , = how it affects your internal physiology (racing heartbeat, nausea,etc), = pure perception of its external qualities ( shape, color, hardness etc.)

And I guess =subjective judgment of beauty, relating to feelings of love and attraction, = objective ? As in, a detached judgement of the proportions, patterns, natural congruities that make something beautiful. The two would probably go hand in hand, one leading to the other. So if you love something you'll likely see "patterns" ie. that enhance its beauty to you, and ignore those that don't. If you see a very congruent, natural pattern, that would eventually lead to subjective feelings of love , as in the "beauty of mathematics".

I'm not sure how Te can be related to beauty, seems like it would be indirect, like if some work was done very efficiently, there would be some link to Fi, which would result in the judgement that the work was beautiful.
    Last edited by ConcreteButterfly; 10-16-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteButterfly View Post
    Ok so how about = judgment of beauty, = the emotional reaction to it (crying, smiling, etc.) , = how it affects your internal physiology (racing heartbeat, nausea,etc), = pure perception of its external qualities ( shape, color, hardness etc.)
    Agree. I also feel that Ti and Te are not involved directly. Neither are Ni and Ne, really.

TIM
    ENTP / INTj
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

every function can yield beauty... some times i look at mechanisms and software code, and it looks beautiful
    -Slava

ENTP/INTP

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sure as fuck not that caveman function.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lecter View Post
    sure as fuck not that caveman function.
    <3 i missed you guys so much!

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    <3 i missed you guys so much!
    where is your pride, ILI?

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Beauty through different means perhaps? Se may be like, this girl is HOT, while Si may be like I love her complexion.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    Beauty through different means perhaps? Se may be like, this girl is HOT, while Si may be like I love her complexion.
    Not related to Se vs. Si, but your post reminded me of this: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...6567b0e8c6bfeb

(I'm apparently Si and would feel really uncomfortable speaking in such a flowery way.)
    SEE

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Not related to Se vs. Si, but your post reminded me of this: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...6567b0e8c6bfeb

(I'm apparently Si and would feel really uncomfortable speaking in such a flowery way.)
    I would think that Si coupled with Fe would be more apt to speak in a flowery way as opposed to being coupled with Te. So you're right, what I said didn't get at the essential difference between the two. What I'm trying to convey is the notion that Se is more concerned with the beauty of the whole object, while Si is more concerned with subtle details or parts of the object that are appealing or beautiful.

As an Si user, what to you find beautiful or attractive?
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    I would think that Si coupled with Fe would be more apt to speak in a flowery way as opposed to being coupled with Te. So you're right, what I said didn't get at the essential difference between the two. What I'm trying to convey is the notion that Se is more concerned with the beauty of the whole object, while Si is more concerned with subtle details or parts of the object that are appealing or beautiful.

As an Si user, what to you find beautiful or attractive?
    Wow, it's so hard to put into words. I'm not sure I can.

Aesthetically I find earth tones with accents of deep, rich colors most attractive for man made things. I find almost everything in nature beautiful, but moving water and things that make me feel small are my favorites.

In people I think natural beauty appeals to me much more than "done up" beauty. There has to be an almost palpable vibe to the person, too. Imperfections add character. Being true to yourself is essential. (By contrast, people like Lady Gaga and Nicki Manage kind of creep me out because it feels like I'm not looking at an actual person.) When the color or style of a person's clothes/hair/makeup really suit the person I find it beautiful even if it's not my own favorite style.

There are beautiful moments or situations, too. Those I won't even try to explain. I will say though that sometimes perfectly awful things can be beautiful, though probably not as often as wonderful or neutral things. Something about a moment just strikes me a certain way and gives me a sense of awe.

Basically, there's no one physical thing that I consider beautiful. It's a reaction, an event, an interaction between things. I can look at something/someone and consider it/them objectively attractive, but I wouldn't call that beauty.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Wow, it's so hard to put into words. I'm not sure I can.

Aesthetically I find earth tones with accents of deep, rich colors most attractive for man made things. I find almost everything in nature beautiful, but moving water and things that make me feel small are my favorites.

In people I think natural beauty appeals to me much more than "done up" beauty. There has to be an almost palpable vibe to the person, too. Imperfections add character. Being true to yourself is essential. (By contrast, people like Lady Gaga and Nicki Manage kind of creep me out because it feels like I'm not looking at an actual person.) When the color or style of a person's clothes/hair/makeup really suit the person I find it beautiful even if it's not my own favorite style.

There are beautiful moments or situations, too. Those I won't even try to explain. I will say though that sometimes perfectly awful things can be beautiful, though probably not as often as wonderful or neutral things. Something about a moment just strikes me a certain way and gives me a sense of awe.

Basically, there's no one physical thing that I consider beautiful. It's a reaction, an event, an interaction between things. I can look at something/someone and consider it/them objectively attractive, but I wouldn't call that beauty.
    I suppose this is all very dynamics of fields!
    SEE

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Se judges not only physical beauty as such (features and how well they harmonize), but also a form of energy that a person projects (plus other factors such as dexterity in movement, confidence etc.). In my experience Si users are prone to find beautiful what they can associate with a memory or even relate back to themselves (and thus what is subjectively suggestive to them). I have this impression that Se base responds in an immediate way to very impactful stimuli - it's as if they don't really have much of a personal filter that would narrow things down to a personal pattern ("my type"), they will be drawn to what is the hottest thing around in a very direct way.