Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 100

Thread: How normal is to think about rape?

  1. #1
    Éminence grise mikemex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Third Planet
    TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default How normal is to think about rape?

    There was an interesting discussion going on in the chat box about whether it is normal or not for people to think about certain things. Rape was the topic but I think this can be safely extended to other non-politically-correct issues. My take is that we all are capable of thinking that way but that such ideas are so embarrassing for people to admit in public that they deny any knowledge of them to save their faces. @point and @Kim claim that it's not normal for people to think that way and that anyone who does requires medical treatment. I was challenged to present evidence other than my opinion to back up my claims.

    I'll begin with this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia - Intrusive thoughts
    Many people experience the type of bad or unwanted thoughts that people with more troubling intrusive thoughts have, but most people can dismiss these thoughts. For most people, intrusive thoughts are a "fleeting annoyance."Psychologist Stanley Rachman presented a questionnaire to healthy college students and found that virtually all said they had these thoughts from time to time, including thoughts of sexual violence, sexual punishment, "unnatural" sex acts, painful sexual practices, blasphemous or obscene images, thoughts of harming elderly people or someone close to them, violence against animals or towards children, and impulsive or abusive outbursts or utterances. Such bad thoughts are universal among humans, and have "almost certainly always been a part of the human condition".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusive_thoughts
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

    You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

  2. #2
    Contra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Posts
    1,405
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I feel like the "intrusive thoughts" quote pretty much answers your question. I don't know if there are any statistical studies on the proportion of people who have intrusive thoughts, but I imagine that its large enough such that to suggest those who have those thoughts need medical treatment would be absurd. Of course, it does matter what those intrusive thoughts include, such as intent for rape or murder or whatever, but I think the entire idea of intrusive thoughts is characterized as benign, necessarily excluding intent. Also, I don't believe the commonality of intrusive thoughts is the only reason medical treatment is not necessary. As I said, the entire idea of intrusive thoughts is that they are compulsive and benign. Even if only one person on earth were to have these thoughts, there is just no reason to have him treated. He poses no threat.

    However, if there were studies to suggest that such thoughts did lead to violent intentions then maybe medical treatment would be necessary, but those thoughts seeming strange and dangerous to individual people has no real bearing on whether the afflicted need medical attention. I'm sure that's obvious, but I can easily see how someone who didn't have intrusive thoughts would be scared of those who do.

  3. #3
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    My take is that we all are capable of thinking that way but that such ideas are so embarrassing for people to admit in public that they deny any knowledge of them to save their faces. @point and @Kim claim that it's not normal for people to think that way and that anyone who does requires medical treatment. I was challenged to present evidence other than my opinion to back up my claims.
    No, that is not what I claimed. You claimed that many men who see a women in a mini skirt think of rape and I said that a) I do not believe that this is as normal as you make it out to be and b) that a man who thinks of rape when seeing a woman in a mini skirt needs treatment. So let us stick with the specific issue.

    Furthermore, of course some people have intrusive thoughts. The article you posted also has a lengthy section on treatment. From reading this, it appears as if experts consider intrusive thoughts something that should be addressed. I was rather looking for statistics about how many men actually do think of rape when getting aroused from seeing a woman in a mini skirt. Getting aroused and thinking of sex does not equal getting aroused and thinking of rape.
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  4. #4
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    I feel like the "intrusive thoughts" quote pretty much answers your question. I don't know if there are any statistical studies on the proportion of people who have intrusive thoughts, but I imagine that its large enough such that to suggest those who have those thoughts need medical treatment would be absurd. Of course, it does matter what those intrusive thoughts include, such as intent for rape or murder or whatever, but I think the entire idea of intrusive thoughts is characterized as benign, necessarily excluding intent. Also, I don't believe the commonality of intrusive thoughts is the only reason medical treatment is not necessary. As I said, the entire idea of intrusive thoughts is that they are compulsive and benign. Even if only one person on earth were to have these thoughts, there is just no reason to have him treated. He poses no threat.

    However, if there were studies to suggest that such thoughts did lead to violent intentions then maybe medical treatment would be necessary, but those thoughts seeming strange and dangerous to individual people has no real bearing on whether the afflicted need medical attention. I'm sure that's obvious, but I can easily see how someone who didn't have intrusive thoughts would be scared of those who do.
    Our discussion was specifically about rape, so there would definitely be threat. It began because Mikemex is of the opinion that women should not wear miniskirts because that invites rape (since, as he claims, many men think of rape when being aroused by seeing a stranger in a mini skirt).
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  5. #5
    Olly From Wally World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Wally World
    Posts
    822
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lmao, so looking at a hot chick in a mini skirt and thinking that you want to rape her instead of have sex with her? o.O I doubt that's normal. Maybe the person can be into dominating or whatever but still...

  6. #6
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,630
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    No, that is not what I claimed. You claimed that many men who see a women in a mini skirt think of rape and I said that a) I do not believe that this is as normal as you make it out to be and b) that a man who thinks of rape when seeing a woman in a mini skirt needs treatment. So let us stick with the specific issue.
    I think many men will think about sex when they see an (attractive) woman in a mini skirt.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  7. #7
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I think many men will think about sex when they see an (attractive) woman in a mini skirt.
    Yes, that I can see. But that is far from thinking about rape.
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  8. #8
    Haikus Persephone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The country of croissants
    Posts
    1,841
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Default

    When I see a woman in a mini skirt I think of a rape too... Please heal me.

  9. #9
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    According to this forum >99.9% of thoughts are rape or rape related.

    In real life <0.1% of thoughts are rape or rape related.

  10. #10
    Haikus Persephone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The country of croissants
    Posts
    1,841
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Default

    By the way where is @transkar?

  11. #11
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kore View Post
    By the way where is @transkar?
    Hopefully he is renouncing his raping ways in the public square and he signed a written contract before any penis entered any vagina last night.

  12. #12
    Haikus Persephone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The country of croissants
    Posts
    1,841
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Hopefully he is renouncing his raping ways in the public square and he signed a written contract before any penis entered any vagina last night.
    oooooooooooooohhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

  13. #13
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,888
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Our discussion was specifically about rape, so there would definitely be threat. It began because Mikemex is of the opinion that women should not wear miniskirts because that invites rape (since, as he claims, many men think of rape when being aroused by seeing a stranger in a mini skirt).
    Men who obsessively think of rape usually don't care what you are wearing. I can see an intrusive thought occurring now and then but if it happens frequently and there are certain triggers then talking to therapist might be a good idea. I have worn lots of miniskirts around lots of men and even if they were thinking of rape I didn't see it and they didn't let on. I think a lot of men I know personally would be annoyed if someone said they could not control themselves around a woman in a miniskirt.

    In contrast, in my past, wearing over-sized sweats or a long skirt did not prevent a guy from trying to intimidate me. I stabbed a guy in the hand once, with a fork, because I could not get him off me. I scared him so bad and he apologized profusely after. I think I may have cured any thoughts he had of pushing himself on a woman again. I was only like 14 and he was 18 at the time.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  14. #14
    Haikus Persephone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The country of croissants
    Posts
    1,841
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am old and I am still fantasizing of men who would eventually rape me. Ohhhhhh

  15. #15
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Can you please stop trolling? Thank you.
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  16. #16
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,630
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Can you please stop trolling? Thank you.
    To be honest this thread is just asking for trolling.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  17. #17
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    To be honest this thread is just asking for trolling.
    How so?
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  18. #18
    . willekeurig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Mikemex is of the opinion that women should not wear miniskirts because that invites rape

    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

  19. #19
    boom boom boom blackburry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,269
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Technically this is a thread about obtrusive thoughts. I'm reading the thread . Was the mini skirt argument in chatbox bc I'm not seeing it here...?

    I have obtrusive thoughts. Doesn't mean I'll act on them. Does mean I'll bring a few of them up with a SO at some point to....discuss possibilities of certain ones.
    And while stuck in traffic I'm always like ughhh c'mon bazooka... However I'd never do that nor do I want to actually harm anyone... It's more like an annoyed Allie McBeal fantasy of "get da fuk out of my way.."
    (But really I'm no more important than anyone else stuck in traffic and we're all annoyed).

  20. #20
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    Technically this is a thread about obtrusive thoughts. I'm reading the thread . Was the mini skirt argument in chatbox bc I'm not seeing it here...?
    .
    Yes, it was.
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  21. #21
    Éminence grise mikemex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Third Planet
    TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Our discussion was specifically about rape, so there would definitely be threat. It began because Mikemex is of the opinion that women should not wear miniskirts because that invites rape (since, as he claims, many men think of rape when being aroused by seeing a stranger in a mini skirt).
    You're misquoting me Kim, both in the sense that you're altering what I said and that you're quoting me without giving my words a proper context. I didn't say I think women should not wear mini-skirts because that invites rape.

    What I said, for those unfamiliar with the discussion that took place in the chat, was in response to Kim's claim that women should wear and do anything they want. And I responded to that that living in a group invariably implies surrendering a bit of your personal freedom for the sake of building a society. People who think that way are extreme individualists who are to be considered dysfunctional if we analyze it from a social dynamics perspective. So here is my first claim you can quote if you wish: in a society, extreme individualism is dysfunctional. And extreme individualism is manifested by the claim that one can do anything one wishes with disregard to what others around think or want.

    Further development of this discussion led me to quote @InvisibleJim:

    Nope, good leaders make pragmatic and functional compromise that get shit done.
    Basically, my second argument was that feminists poses a deep ignorance of History. There have always been restrictive codes of conduct in any society, codes of dressing in particular. But rather than invoking authoritarianism, such measures are pragmatic in nature. There is an undeniable relationship between how you dress and how often you invite others to think about sex with you. And this is where the topic of mini-skirts and high heels took place: that if you dress provocatively you're increasing your chances of sexual thought getting directed at you, and that includes rape thoughts. I said that many men think of rape when they see a mini-skirt and I stand firm on my ground. Basically, getting aroused this way is non-romantic lust that is one sided (non consensual since there is no regard to what the other person thinks or wants). This is, by definition, rape mentality even at the most "innocent" level. And full color and detailed fantasies of rape aren't that rare as @Kim and @point claim, I tried to prove it with the intrusive thoughts quote/reference. I did read a much longer and detailed study years ago but I can't seem to find it.

    Obviously, there is a distinction between merely thinking of rape and actually engaging on it. And here was my last argument on the discussion: despite people's attempts to save their faces, we all are, without exceptions, capable of evil. A thesis of Freud is that societies are built upon the repression of instincts, it's mostly the external circumstances around against our inner strength to resist our urges what determines what we do. Society is pragmatic because it simply tries to minimize situations where people have to actively repress their urges. That's why we aren't allowed to walk around naked, which the mini-skirt example just would be a minor variant of.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

    You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

  22. #22
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    And this is where the topic of mini-skirts and high heels took place: that if you dress provocatively you're increasing your chances of sexual thought getting directed at you, and that includes rape thoughts. I said that many men think of rape when they see a mini-skirt and I stand firm on my ground. Basically, getting aroused this way is non-romantic lust that is one sided (non consensual since there is no regard to what the other person thinks or wants). This is, by definition, rape mentality even at the most "innocent" level. And full color and detailed fantasies of rape aren't that rare as @Kim and @point claim, I tried to prove it with the intrusive thoughts quote/reference. I did read a much longer and detailed study years ago but I can't seem to find it.

    Obviously, there is a distinction between merely thinking of rape and actually engaging on it. And here was my last argument on the discussion: despite people's attempts to save their faces, we all are, without exceptions, capable of evil. A thesis of Freud is that societies are built upon the repression of instincts, it's mostly the external circumstances around against our inner strength to resist our urges what determines what we do. Society is pragmatic because it simply tries to minimize situations where people have to actively repress their urges. That's why we aren't allowed to walk around naked, which the mini-skirt example just would be a minor variant of.
    Yes, and the bolded part is what I disagree with, like I said above. Mini skirts are perfectly normal in many parts of the world and in the context from which I am speaking. I am not saying you should wear a mini skirt in Saudi Arabia. Of course there is variation with regards to cultural (and religious) context. I am speaking from the perspective of a woman living in North America where wearing a mini skirt is considered normal. Once upon a time in North America showing an ankle was considered revealing and potentially arousing to men. Should we go back to that?

    I maintain that if a man wants to rape a woman in a mini skirt because she gets him aroused, he needs to get this issue addressed because I maintain that is not normal.

    The intrusive thought reference also does not prove your claim that many men have rape fantasies when seeing a woman in *provocative clothes.* It only show that some people have intrusive thoughts, which was never the issue of this debate.
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  23. #23
    Glorious Member mu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mind
    Posts
    7,966
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't really give a crap what people think. They can have violent fantasies and whatever. I mean I don't really think thought crimes are what you want to punish in society.

    As far as restrictive dress codes, those are usually the product of authoritarian regimes and not tolerant ones. If you can't differentiate violent fantasies from reality, you probably don't have a great place in modern society.

    You can try and rationalize oppressive authoritarian dress codes but don't try to portray yourself as some sort of anti-authoritarian. You kinda of just want rationalize something modern society is loosening up on. As far as practical dress codes, they're a lot of reasons to have em, rape prevention is probably not high on my list.

  24. #24
    ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ Birdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    TIM
    EII
    Posts
    840
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Mmmmmmm. I definitely have some thoughts and good points to share:

    First and foremost I do not think Point should be a voice for how much time
    thinking about rape is too much. As a man, automatically his worry of
    rape is less than that of a woman because statistically it is much more unlikely
    for him to get raped.

    As a woman who has been threatened several times in public places I do not
    think you can ever worry about rape too much unless it is interfering with your
    ability to actually leave your home. Almost every time I am in a place by myself
    and there are strange men about the thought crosses my mind. It happens less
    often than when I am in very public places however that strain of thought and worry
    is still there, especially when I am leaving and walking through a parking garage
    alone. Just this morning I was standing outside of a building that was not yet open.
    I was standing in a corner shielding myself from the wind and I could see a man
    walking by, instinctively I shrunk back into the corner just in case.

    Awhile ago I was sitting on a bench waiting for my bus and two men walking by
    stopped, stood on either side of me and one man was stroking my face and hair
    talking about how pretty I was. I did not know these men, there was no familiarity,
    they were literally just walking by and decided I was a good target. Even better,
    there was a man about half a block away waiting for his bus and he ignored the
    situation entirely though I saw him looking. Thankfully my bus pulled up not long
    after they surrounded me but had it not I really think they would have hurt me.

    Do I know self-defense? Yes. Sometimes it is hard to react when your adrenaline
    suddenly floods your system. I really do not think you can ever be too prepared
    for things like this.
    Everything interests me but nothing holds me.

  25. #25
    ■■■■■■ Radio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,574
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i don't have much to contribute to this thread but

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Awhile ago I was sitting on a bench waiting for my bus and two men walking by
    stopped, stood on either side of me and one man was stroking my face and hair
    talking about how pretty I was. I did not know these men, there was no familiarity,
    they were literally just walking by and decided I was a good target. Even better,
    there was a man about half a block away waiting for his bus and he ignored the
    situation entirely though I saw him looking. Thankfully my bus pulled up not long
    after they surrounded me but had it not I really think they would have hurt me.
    i am so sorry this happened to you. i think if something like this were to happen to me i would be too paralyzed to leave my house.
    do you carry pepper spray or things of that nature?

  26. #26
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    if someone ever strokes me like that I would kick them in the balls.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  27. #27
    ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ Birdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    TIM
    EII
    Posts
    840
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    i don't have much to contribute to this thread but



    i am so sorry this happened to you. i think if something like this were to happen to me i would be too paralyzed to leave my house.
    do you carry pepper spray or things of that nature?
    I do carry pepper spray. Honestly though I would like to get my
    permit to carry a concealed weapon.
    Everything interests me but nothing holds me.

  28. #28
    Moderator Reficulris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,041
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    seems like a lot of trolling in this thread.

    About the original topic;

    I think fantasies are common, not necessarily (or even often) dangerous even if acted upon within the boundaries of consent.

    The matter if miniskirts provoke rape is a bit more nuanced. First of all, we are animals and have urges. How well we can manage those drives/urges determines wether you're a normal functional human being or a sex offender/wife molester/serial killer in jail.

    Yes, sexual clothes, in general, will increase the chances of being raped, that in and of itself does not make it the responsibility of the woman to not dress like that. It's still the responsibility of the dude not to rape. In other words, you don't see many guys rubbing their dicks to sexual advertisement in public and say "it was asking for it"....

    Everyone should be able to dress ass provokingly as they want to (within the limits of the law) and still be protected by society and said law so they can do so in safety.

    The above is all in the context of the western legalistic nation state. I think in other contexts it becomes more a question of practicality than morality, in some contexts i'd carry a gun and shoot any guy that'd look my way if i were a woman...doesn't mean that's the way it should be.


    As always, IS never implies OUGHT. Evolutionary or sex-drive based defences of rape are kinda moot, we've evolved past those instincts in the sense that we punish exesses of them. IF you can't manage those drives you'll be put away and that's evolutionary fine. (except when you still procreate, in that case you'll have dodged the evolutionary bullet).


    EDIT:

    The idiocy of "she was asking for it" (which the miniskirt debate kinda is, but disguised) is really apparent if you just realise that YES she might have wanted to look sexually, but NOT FOR THE RAPIST.... In other words, if I dress up to get hired someplace i don't want people to drag me inside another company and hire me because "I asked for it"

  29. #29
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reficulris View Post
    seems like a lot of trolling in this thread.
    But Ref, the thread asked for it. The irony is almost funny.
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  30. #30
    Moderator Reficulris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,041
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    But Ref, the thread asked for it. The irony is almost funny.
    This thread wears miniskirts? ^^

  31. #31
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    not trolling or trying to be funny, but rape is actually a fairly effective mating strategy as some women opt to keep the baby or have no access to birth control. some evolutionary psychologists use this fact to suggest that the tendency was selected for during evolution. mass rape of women during war is also a common phenomenon.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    not trolling or trying to be funny, but rape is actually a fairly effective mating strategy as some women opt to keep the baby or have no access to birth control. some evolutionary psychologists use this fact to suggest that the tendency was selected for during evolution. mass rape of women during war is also a common phenomenon.
    Mating strategy? How will you find and retain a mate by raping them, lol...

    I guess you mean reproductive strategy?
    I didn't know people had a reproductive strategy (consciously anyway).....

  33. #33
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ananke View Post
    Mating strategy? I didn't know people had one.....
    Hellz yeah we do! Women wear lipstick, men learn to dance, and some sick men like to rape.

    I guess you mean reproductive strategy?
    That's not a bad way of putting it.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Hellz yeah we do! Women wear lipstick, men learn to dance, and some sick men like to rape.

    Human mating strategies

    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    In evolutionary psychology and behavioral ecology, mating strategies refer to the set of behaviors used by individuals to attract, select, and retain mates. Mating strategies overlap with reproductive strategies, which encompass a broader set of behaviors involving the timing of reproduction and the trade-off between quantity and quality of offspring (see life history theory). Relative to other animals, human mating strategies are unique in their relationship with cultural variables such as the institution of marriage.[1] Nevertheless, commonalities can be found between humans and nonhuman animals in mating behavior (see animal sexual behavior).


  35. #35

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Hellz yeah we do! Women wear lipstick, men learn to dance, and some sick men like to rape.
    Yeh, but isn't that to have SEX, rather than to have KIDS?

  36. #36
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ananke View Post
    Human mating strategies

    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    In evolutionary psychology and behavioral ecology, mating strategies refer to the set of behaviors used by individuals to attract, select, and retain mates. Mating strategies overlap with reproductive strategies, which encompass a broader set of behaviors involving the timing of reproduction and the trade-off between quantity and quality of offspring (see life history theory). Relative to other animals, human mating strategies are unique in their relationship with cultural variables such as the institution of marriage.[1] Nevertheless, commonalities can be found between humans and nonhuman animals in mating behavior (see animal sexual behavior).

    Are the definitions that formally defined? I was just using the terms interchangeably in a layman's context.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  37. #37
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ananke View Post
    Yeh, but isn't that to have SEX, rather than to have KIDS?
    An evolutionary psychologist would say that sex is just the lure for the desired or undesired purpose of having kids.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  38. #38

  39. #39
    2 EVIL I golden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Several stories high
    TIM
    EIE prob 6
    Posts
    2,969
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    According to this forum >99.9% of thoughts are rape or rape related.

    In real life <0.1% of thoughts are rape or rape related.
    I agree with your overall point but will just say that personally, it enters my thoughts much more often than this. Some of the factors affecting frequency: City dwelling; sidewalk travel, sometimes unavoidably at night; past experience; looking out for the well-being of ppl around me; subway cars that might be empty or occupied by bad characters.

    Also some of the choices I make about where, how, when to walk, dress, interact, and even work are indirectly affected about concerns for my safety and the worry I might cause my loved ones by not looking after myself.

    (And I don't even consider myself the most vigilant person I know in these everyday situations.)

    Robbery of course is also a thought in all this, it's not just rape. And since rape is more likely carried out by someone the victim knows, the reality of statistics reassures me somewhat.

  40. #40
    strangeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,704
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think about rape sometimes. Sometimes I imagine raping someone or them raping me. I don't know why because I wouldn't actually enjoy raping or getting raped. I think it's probably the fantasy of fulfilling a sexual desire, without having to care about anything else. People that actually act out these thoughts probably don't care if they hurt someone, I can only imagine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •