Thread: How do people feel about the "Semantics" Ni?

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do people feel about the "Semantics" Ni?

http://socionics.us/works/semantics.shtml

How do people feel about the themes and topics listed in the table?

The idea of "time" I think is pretty interesting, because I've seen it expressed consistently across both Gamma NTs and Beta NFs in a way fairly consistent with it being blocked with either or .

scribbles in the dark

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I always thought semantics were bs

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure I'd call what I experience with "time" directly as much as degree of urgency/tempo/rhythm of things. I think just calling it "time" is way too vague; I'm not like a walking clock or something.

The bit about uncertainty is spot-on, though. I'd potentially add clarity/fogginess.

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PistolShrimp View Post
    I'm not sure I'd call what I experience with "time" directly as much as degree of urgency/tempo/rhythm of things. I think just calling it "time" is way too vague; I'm not like a walking clock or something.
    I think that's still "time". It's certainly what I think of when I think of the word. For example, the juxtaposition between civilisation and decay captured in a lamp post in an overgrown park through which a walking track runs near my University is thematic with "time" in my mind. A clock not so much, except for maybe the way timepieces have always had a status element and are increasingly being reduced to the role of jewelry and status markers.

scribbles in the dark

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Holon View Post
    I think that's still "time". It's certainly what I think of when I think of the word. For example, the juxtaposition between civilisation and decay captured in a lamp post in an overgrown park through which a walking track runs near my University is thematic with "time" in my mind. A clock not so much, except for maybe the way timepieces have always had a status element and are increasingly being reduced to the role of jewelry and status markers.
    It's semantics or IMO we cut to the chase and remove semantics and say it's not got anything to do with time as ashura stuck it in there to try to make the functions fit everything. I mean to play semantics imagination is probably better than time, but time stays there cause that's what it is. Even imagination is kinda shitty also but time I don't get I mean time? I can get the bus just like anyone else being an Ni ego doesn't mean they don't have to use their watch you know.

ergo my prev post

TIM
    EIE prob 6
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find Ni the opposite of time. To me it is rather more like timelessness, or a subversion of time. However, that sense of "beyond time" is something I've experienced by going deeply into an awareness of time, rather than by avoiding it. I doubt this made any sense, btw.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try not to feel about it.

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    It's semantics or IMO we cut to the chase and remove semantics and say it's not got anything to do with time as ashura stuck it in there to try to make the functions fit everything. I mean to play semantics imagination is probably better than time, but time stays there cause that's what it is. Even imagination is kinda shitty also but time I don't get I mean time? I can get the bus just like anyone else being an Ni ego doesn't mean they don't have to use their watch you know.

ergo my prev post
    I don't think that has much to do with Semantonics, though, just authors attributing wrist-watch time to Ni. Behaviour doesn't particularly line up with the themes and topics used and sought in communication either, which is what the semantics of IMs is meant to be about.

The Aushra quote about Ni on the Wiki doesn't make any allusions to Ni being about punctuality or overloading yourself with commitments either, although it could loosely be interpreted that way.

scribbles in the dark

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is how I feel about Ni semantics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Holon View Post
    How do people feel about the "Semantics" Ni?
    It depends what position in Model A is situated.

is a sequence of events. People with strong (1-2 position) can change the sequence of events as desired. Other types can't.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time is a bit ambiguous here. The others seem alright though, as far as I understand them.

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    This is how I feel about Ni semantics

Why does it appear to vibrate when I move my eyes?

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, quick bump: I think "time" is fairly rich as a starting point. So much is interwoven with time for humans, as transient beings. Mortality is a profound influence on our psyche. We have to deal with the random way in which life leaves those around us, and the varying significance of how we will some day die. Time can be more fluid than some fixed but amorphous event; time is how we relate to our surroundings. Time can also be a contrast, when you are struck by the profundity of a symbol of timelessness reminding you of how transient you are and how vague your memory within divinity will be.

I think this video touches on a lot of "time" ideas. Waves break against rocks, dynamic and dramatic on a human timescale, while the gradual weathering and erosion of the rocks is so unrelatable it's almost timeless. If you came back to that place in 30 years though, of course it will have changed. Experience continues for everything; for you, and for the rocks, and for the sea and for the waves. A monk out of time walks slowly as people stream past him, perfectly focused inside. The mind can expand through time, encoding overwhelming expanses in the flow of time in a single breath. Timeless holy sites attract new worshippers, and God remembers, reminding every onlooker of every past and future experience, encoded in these ancient stones.

scribbles in the dark

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to hate Ni as time, partially because I am habitually late for everything and just about the only thing in all of socionics-land that unambiguously works for me is the Ni-ego typing for myself. But after a while I really came around and warmed up to it. I think of it less in terms of literal clock-time and more in terms of moving freely and fluidly and dexterously between the different points of a sequence, be that logical priority or cause-and-effect or whatever. Temporal priority is kinda the least important of those. So it's most about freely moving from place to place in terms of processes that tend to unfold over time. Guessing the end from the beginning, deducing the beginning from the end. But also intuiting the part from the whole and the whole from the part by thinking in terms of "this is what the part has to do to fit into a whole" or "okay what are the component parts this whole would need to function as intended?" Relatedly, questions of "final cause" as in purpose---another process that unfolds over time, insofar as intention precedes action or the question "what is this for" resembles the question "what will this do?" Not what CAN this do, but what WILL it do, what is its intended purpose. Even going through the sequence of a process to find the solution, that sort of thing. So yeah, that's how Ni = time, in my mind.