Thread: Can "culture difference" also be predicted by type/quadra?

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can "culture difference" also be predicted by type/quadra?

So according to this HBR article, management culture styles can be summarised by 8 scales. I was wondering if people thought it had any link to types themselves. It would be helpful for diagnosing more clearly what an "alpha company" is, or why a country is delta.

I have no quiz for people to know what their types are, so perhaps best for people to discuss:
    1. Where they see types/quadras/other sitting on these scales
    2. Where people see themselves on these scales.

Linky-link: http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/09/predict...-on-your-team/

I see Alpha being on the left for most scales, except for avoiding confrontation, and being flexible with time.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, but I'm going to do this out of curiosity or purely for fun. I'll analyze Japan.

Japan

communicating - high-context (Low-context) -> dynamic because it's context heavy compared to static
    evaluating - indirect negative feedback (Direct negative feedback) -> hmm, I wanna say this is N and F
    leading - hierarchical (Egalitarian) -> Ti because it's a structured system
    deciding - Consensual (Top-down) -> Considering that top-down doesn't require that one consider the needs and circumstances of others, it seems more appealing to an Ti/Fe type, so Fi/Te would probably fit better for consensual
    Trusting - Relationship-based (Task-based) -> Fi because it's a reinforcement of personal bonds
    disagreeing - avoids confrontation (Confrontational) -> Introverted
    Scheduling - Linear Time (Flexible Time) -> Ti probably because of the structure, whereas Te would probably prefer more adaptable schedules for dealing with individual circumstances
    Persuading - Holistic (Specific) -> intuition because it's more holistic compared to the sensing functions, which are more specific

So it seems to be a mixture of dynamic + introversion + Ti/Te + Fi/Fe + Ni/Ne. So I guess dynamic introvert that is thinking or feeling and intuition. So EII, ILI, IEI, LII I guess.
    Last edited by strangeling; 09-23-2014 at 07:11 AM. Reason: wanted to be as general as possible

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, they can't, in my experience at least. Cultural components quickly override any kind of type-related preference, esp. if a person has been living all his life in a specific nation/culture.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    No, they can't, in my experience at least. Cultural components quickly override any kind of type-related preference, esp. if a person has been living all his life in a specific nation/culture.
    Dammit, the real world, you've screwed it up again!
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ClownsandEntropy View Post
    So according to this HBR article, management culture styles can be summarised by 8 scales. I was wondering if people thought it had any link to types themselves. It would be helpful for diagnosing more clearly what an "alpha company" is, or why a country is delta.

I have no quiz for people to know what their types are, so perhaps best for people to discuss:
    1. Where they see types/quadras/other sitting on these scales
    2. Where people see themselves on these scales.

Linky-link: http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/09/predict...-on-your-team/

I see Alpha being on the left for most scales, except for avoiding confrontation, and being flexible with time.
    You probably can theoretically but I have eg moved to another company a mile down the road and the management style has been different. I can understand looking to map these things out in a broad sense scale but IMO from a practial perspective it's irrelevant due so said example and reality being what it is ... in reality.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ClownsandEntropy View Post
    Dammit, the real world, you've screwed it up again!
    "Stupid truth, always resisting simplicity." -- John Green

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    You probably can theoretically but I have eg moved to another company a mile down the road and the management style has been different. I can understand looking to map these things out in a broad sense scale but IMO from a practial perspective it's irrelevant due so said example and reality being what it is ... in reality.
    So are you saying that the management style governs where a company sits on the scale - not the country? If so then that's contrary to what FDG suggested; and also is interesting cos I was hoping that things like management's type or at least the "overall type" of the management style could be linked to these kinds of scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    "Stupid truth, always resisting simplicity." -- John Green
    I was going to make the quote but wasn't sure on the nerdfighter-to-non-nerdfighter ratio on the forum.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy