Thread: The common concensus of what Fi is

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The common concensus of what Fi is

I just had a conversation in the chat with 2 people who have read a lot about functions. They were contesting that Fi = personal standards (as opposed to society's standards). Maybe it's the fever, but this sorta confused me... how could people who understand socionics make this mistake? Is the general concensus around here of what Fi and Fe are THAT far off? I knew the common concensus of what Te is was way way off base, but I didn't realize that people's idea of Fi was so messed up to. I blame it on improper typing of archtypes... but still...

Please tell me that the common concensus of Fi is not as far off as I fear it is.... Describe your definition of Fi.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm not mistaken (but perhaps I am) one of them was also trying to tell me that Fe changes society's standards to be what it wants them to be (as opposed to following existing social standards).
    SEE

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i still say that Fi is about what one is attracted to..and what one is repelled from...which can get translated into likes/dislikes....and somehow later into love/hate....and somehow into pushing moral's and ethics onto others.

I do disagree with that last part obviously...that's a person thing..not a Fi thing. All Fi does is pay attention to the attractions/repulsions between objects. And no, this does not necessarily mean just between people.

Do you like this color? Do you like your house? What about this topic do you not like? If you like A and B, but could only have one, which would you prefer? Oh, look how intent that little girl is looking into the window...I wonder what she finds so fascinating there... *looks through the window too* ...well, she's not looking at the plane...nor the train over there. She seems to be looking at that bear...but..but not at the bear.....oh look at that giraffe behind the bear.
    me (testing to see if I'm right): "I love that bow on the giraffe."
    girl: "isn't it just beautiful???"
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let's talk about Fi and social norms and society's standards
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi to me is like Anndelise said with the girl and the giraffe. You meet someone and you try to figure out who they are - not so much their name or job or whether they're married, but who they are inside - their goals, motivations, moods, etc. I think it's also when you go to a party and when you walk in the door you immediately size up what's happening - who is talking to whom, if anyone brought a new boyfriend/girlfriend, etc.

On the ethics side, I do have a very strong sense of ethics. It isn't really morals - like standards from a government or church - as much as ethics from inside that depend upon circumstances. I'm always on the look for new information as to whether an ethical situation has become more complicated or if new information changes what is right and wrong in those circumstances. I don't believe there are many things that are always right or wrong - circumstances are everything.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry, I meant "let's elaborate some more on"

Someone else (also with Fi as a dominant function) might see society's norms and standards as valuable to uphold, and so that would be their personal values. See what I mean?
    Yeah, I could see that...

The people in the chat were talking about Fi like that's what it's about though, particularly for ISFjs.

thanks diana
    SEE