Member Questionnaire 1 (TheSonderer)
What is beauty? What is love?
Beauty is very subjective. What may be beautiful to you may not be beautiful to me. It's more than what's on the surface and it could relate to anything. Love is where you'll support, care, and forgive no matter what.
What are your most important values?
Freedom, and not just in the sense of doing what I want. Everyone should feel free to grow into the person they want to be without fear of judgement or expectations from anyone else. Everyone should feel comfortable with who they are despite whatever differences that may be.
Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?
No, I don't follow any religion and I don't think I'm spiritual. I just follow my heart in life and do things that seem right to me. If something is wrong, I get introspective and try to understand what's going on.
Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?
I hate war, to me it's just senseless killing. Power is where someone holds something over someone else and has some form of control in their life. Power corrupts and should always be limited.
What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?
I've had long conversations about many things, but often I talk about music (heavy metal), gaming, and even the odd time philosophy. I love music and travel. I love learning about cultures that are different from my own and I love seeing new things.
Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?
I try to be healthy, but it doesn't always work out. I don't pay very much attention to my body's needs. I can be hungry for hours and not know it if I'm focused on something else.
What do you think of daily chores?
Eh, they're a pain. I'm pretty lazy but eventually if a mess piles up I'll feel the need to clean it.
Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.
I don't watch too many movies, and reading is actually a huge challenge for me. My favourite movies are likely Death Note, Suicide Circle, Battle Royale, most comic book movies, and martial arts movies.
What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?
I hadn't cried for a long time until my wife asked for a divorce. That was really sad (don't worry things are OK now though). Any well meaning thank you always makes me smile.
Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?
Sorry I don't really understand this question. I guess I feel at one with the environment when I'm actually out in nature walking around.
What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?
People say I'm too hard on myself. I'm kind of an idiot, I have a hard time noticing details, I don't stand up for myself, I'm lazy, I'm weird, I'm not very good looking, I'm a huge pushover.
What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?
People often tell me that I'm nice. I don't like very much about myself to be honest.
In what areas of your life would you like help?
I guess my confidence.
Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.
I feel stuck in a rut if I don't do or see anything new for a while. It makes me feel stifled, so I will often (and randomly) just go somewhere new or go out and try something new. I'm even hoping to travel around SE Asia for a while simply for a nice change in my life.
What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?
I don't like people who are too pushy, confrontational, argumentative, or judgemental. I can get a long with pretty much anyone, but I definitely prefer those who have a "live and let live" approach.
How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?
Honestly, if I met someone who not only accepted me for who I am but loved me for who I am that's all I really need.
If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?
My main concern would be other people telling him what to think and what to believe in. I would help my child understand that it's OK to ask questions and not believe people if something doesn't seem right to them. I would encourage them to grow into the person they really truly are.
A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?
I'd probably feel frustrated, and I may lash out and argue my point harshly only to soon after regret it and feel guilty.
Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.
I think most people are good, and they're just trying to get by. I consider a lack of LGBT rights to be a huge problem in modern society. I hope that eventually all discrimination comes to an end and we all become accepting of who people are despite their differences.
How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?
I'd be friends with anyone I'm comfortable around, so if I feel like we get along well then that's how I choose my friends I guess. I usually just joke around, and I can actually get pretty loud around them. Sometimes we'll enjoy beer together as well which is always good.
How do you behave around strangers?
I'm usually quiet and don't say much until I feel comfortable enough opening up to them.