Thread: reverse typing

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default reverse typing

When someone is difficult to type do you think there's any benefit in looking at the types the person definitely is not? In this case, I'm more confident about the types she likely isn't than the types she possibly/likely is:

Definitely not: SEI, LII, IEI, ILI, EII
    Unlikely: ESE, ESI, IEE, SLI, SEE
    Possible: ILE, EIE, LSI, LSE, SLE
    Likely: LIE
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How could someone be in the possible list as both EIE and LSI. I don't think I've ever seen a EII and LSE and thought, hmm not sure which is which, could be interchangeable..

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said, this person is very tricky to type. She's got contradictory traits and doesn't fit cleanly into any particular type. She's focused on Si, but she's got a terrible sense of style, terrible cooking, poor awareness of how she appears, and she's not at all nurturing/caregiver-like. She's focused on both Ti and Te but is (from my perspective) emotionally expressive and interested in other people's emotional expression. (When it's Christmas or there's some big thing going on, she's very interested in seeing or hearing about people's reactions.) She has a poor concept of other people's desires resulting in assuming that everyone will want to do what she wants to do. It genuinely surprises her to learn she's wrong, and even then she still doesn't quite seem to get it.

Huh, I'm sort of making her sound a bit ILE, aren't I? The reason that both Beta rationals where thrown in is that she has a strong authoritarian streak that could be associated with Ti, Se, and/or rationality. She's strongly religious and had an unusual upbringing though, and sometimes I think that distorts the manifestations of her type.

Anyways, this is exactly why I said that I think focusing on the types she's definitely not could possibly provide more insight than looking at the types she possibly is.
    SEE

Mausoleum at Halicarnassus The Foundation's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would conjecture that a good method to counteract a hard-to-type person would be through temperament, not by choosing which temperament the person fits, however, but by choosing which temperament the person is most disgusted or displeased by based on the life rhythms of the temperaments (not the moods commonly associated with them such as Sanguine, Phlegmatic, Choleric, and Melancholic). Due to the fact that the most displeased life rhythm or temperament will share the degree of Extroversion/Introversion with the Quasi-rhythm (Ep and Ej, Ip and Ij), a person would be able to readily ascertain what he or she is not temperament-wise due to the fact that the complementary temperament is one that is sought after in the outside environment and not a mode that can be readily taken up without proper motivation. Through this method, then, of identifying the most disliked temperament by a person and subsequently the complementary temperament of a person, we can narrow down a hard-to-type individual to simply 4 types within one temperament with a rather high degree of certainty and a smaller number of outliers who are unable to determine if they are their own temperament or their complementary temperament.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you're saying sounds logical, but I'm not sure how well it would work in a lot of cases. Take me, for example. I like all temperaments. I think the one I have the hardest time with on whole is IP since they are sometimes a bit too go with the flow and allow themselves to stay in situations they don't like for seemingly no reason.

I know this person extremely well and don't see any kind of pattern as you've described.
    SEE

Mausoleum at Halicarnassus The Foundation's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    What you're saying sounds logical, but I'm not sure how well it would work in a lot of cases. Take me, for example. I like all temperaments. I think the one I have the hardest time with on whole is IP since they are sometimes a bit too go with the flow and allow themselves to stay in situations they don't like for seemingly no reason.

I know this person extremely well and don't see any kind of pattern as you've described.
    I was a bit too black-and-white with a 'disliked' temperament. Truthfully, it is best to look at what rhythm is more annoying or seems counter-productive to a person; however, it should be noted that it is much easier to orient yourself with this rather than use it to type others, as people might not directly express their incompatibility with other's rhythms. Really, the opposing temperament should have an incongruous feeling, as if you and the other person are not in any sort of synchronization; thus, if you find that the Ip rhythm is somewhat annoying or too counterproductive (or just particularly incompatible with your own rhythm), you probably have a higher chance of being an Ej type. You can like all temperaments, but the styles of some temperaments will feel incompatible or counter-productive.

Thus, when you are with this person, you should take note as to the way she lives her life. Is her primary mode acting on whims or immediate thoughts and ideas? Is she always involved with some organization or another, always doing something and accepting responsibility wherever it may lie?

(When it's Christmas or there's some big thing going on, she's very interested in seeing or hearing about people's reactions.)
    For good measure, this usually manifests itself through valuing.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Foundation View Post
    I was a bit too black-and-white with a 'disliked' temperament. Truthfully, it is best to look at what rhythm is more annoying or seems counter-productive to a person; however, it should be noted that it is much easier to orient yourself with this rather than use it to type others, as people might not directly express their incompatibility with other's rhythms. Really, the opposing temperament should have an incongruous feeling, as if you and the other person are not in any sort of synchronization; thus, if you find that the Ip rhythm is somewhat annoying or too counterproductive (or just particularly incompatible with your own rhythm), you probably have a higher chance of being an Ej type. You can like all temperaments, but the styles of some temperaments will feel incompatible or counter-productive.

Thus, when you are with this person, you should take note as to the way she lives her life. Is her primary mode acting on whims or immediate thoughts and ideas? Is she always involved with some organization or another, always doing something and accepting responsibility wherever it may lie?

For good measure, this usually manifests itself through valuing.
    She does take on a lot and get involved in many different organizations. EJ makes sense for her. So, having thought about it some more, going back to this:

Definitely not: SEI, LII, IEI, ILI, EII, SLI
    Unlikely: ESI, IEE, SEE, LSI, ESE, EIE
    Possible: ILE, SLE
    Especially possible: LSE
    Likely: LIE

Though I do think the way she enjoys people's shocked reactions is related to Fe, it is countered by how susceptible she is to Fi criticism. She doesn't respond to it like it's her 7th function. She responds like it's her 4th or 5th. She's a bit bewildered and not sure what she can do about it. She (like me) has a strong tendency to seek advice in Fi areas. I wonder if there's a Se valuing component to how much she enjoys surprising people?

Additionally, her husband is EII or SEI (and they are extremely happy together), so EIE seems less likely an option. Also, she rarely does her hair or make up, and these things have a strong ethical correlation. It would be strange for an EIE to almost never do her make up and rarely try to (try being the key word) do anything with her hair.

I suppose I'm okay with settling on LIE for her at this time but keeping LSE open as a possibility.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will add that she doesn't have the same level of focus on physical details that I do. She'd be more likely to do something quickly but not as well. LIE definitely fits better than LSE.
    SEE