Thread: Kale

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Kale

i bought some at the farmers market last thursday because i hear about all the health benefits and its just been sitting in my fridge since then because it doesn't look super appetizing and i don't know what to do with it. ive looked up some recipes but i'm not super excited about what i see. how do you like it prepared? whats your favorite way to eat it?

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A super easy way to begin incorporating kale into your diet is to take a few leaves, remove the stems, finely chop the leafy part, and then towards the end of cooking time of one of your normal dishes, mix in the kale. It only needs enough cooking time to wilt.

As you become ok with eating it like that, then you can start adding more to your dish and/or cut it up less finely.
    And eventually you can start adding chopped up tender parts of the stalk.

Edited to add:
    Because kale can last quite a while in the fridge, i usually rip it into tiny pieces and store it in a jar in the fridge. Then when it's time to cook, i can just pull some out to add to the dish, without having to keep chopping it all the time.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can bake it in the oven to make "chips," like this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ps-recipe.html

They kind of just disintegrate in your mouth and don't have much taste other than salt and oil.

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like it steamed with butter and loads of pepper. Goes well with smoked bacon, chorizo, goat's cheese - and that kind of thing.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    i bought some at the farmers market last thursday because i hear about all the health benefits and its just been sitting in my fridge since then because it doesn't look super appetizing and i don't know what to do with it. ive looked up some recipes but i'm not super excited about what i see. how do you like it prepared? whats your favorite way to eat it?
    Kale = amazing! It's my favorite green!

My fav way to eat kale is sauteed with lemon juice + garlic.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i wanted to make some tonight so i just cooked it up with what i had on hand - olive oil ,garlic, banana peppers.

it wasn't heaven on a plate but it was better than i expected

thanks for the ideas everyone!

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's good if you steam it (stems removed and roughly chopped) for a few minutes (until wilted) and then add it into mashed potatoes. It's adds a lovely color and it's very tasty

I personally steam it with Braggs Liquid Aminos and add it to garlicky mashed potatoes because that's what I like, but you can make it according to whatever seasonings you like.

After removing the stems and chopping (or ripping) it up, I like to sort of boil/steam it in water, olive oil, and garlic until it gets soft. The broth is delicious, too.

Another good way to eat it is as a base for a salad. Remove the stems and use it as you would use lettuce. If you massage it (no, seriously) with olive oil and salt, it gets softer, which can be nice if you find it too tough to eat raw.