Thread: The Myth that Fathers Will Not Win Custody Of Their Children (In The West)

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Myth that Fathers Will Not Win Custody Of Their Children (In The West)

This topic came up in chat just now and it took a few minutes to find something with some info on what I was looking for I seem to have found something. It's possibly not all it has cracked up to be but will post it for discussion.

"Perception: the courts are biased against fathers, who almost never get custody.
    Fact: Though it is true that women are far more likely to be awarded custody, they are also far more likely to ask for it in the first place. To establish bias, one must show (at the very minimum) that equally qualified fathers who request custody are denied more than half of the time, and here the data prove inconvenient. Courts can't be expected to award what they're not asked to. It turns out that fathers who ask for custody (and don't give up) are very likely to get either sole or joint custody:
    From a state of Massachusetts study of custody awards at the state and national level come these studies of cases where fathers requested custody:
    Study 1: MASS
    2100 cases where fathers sought custody (100%)
    5 year duration

29% of fathers got primary custody
    65% of fathers got joint custody

7% of mothers got primary custody

Study 2: MASS
    700 cases. In 57, (8.14%) father sought custody
    6 years

67% of fathers got primary custody
    23% of mothers got primary custody

Study 3: MASS
    500 cases. In 8% of these cases, father sought custody
    6 years

41% of fathers got sole custody
    38% of fathers got joint custody

15% of mothers got sole custody

Study 4: Los Angeles
    63% of fathers who sought sole custody were successful

Study 5: US appellate custody cases
    51% of fathers who sought custody were successful (not clear from wording whether this includes just sole or sole/joint custody)

The study concluded:
    The high success rate of fathers does not by itself establish gender bias against women. Additional evidence, however, indicates that women may be less able to afford the lawyers and experts needed in contested custody cases (see “Family Law Overview”) and that, in contested cases, different and stricter standards are applied to mothers."

From this source....

http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcb...supportcu.html

Also I'd like to add that although court costs are expensive there are alternatives, for example you can represent yourself at court as a father applying for custody. Yes it's difficult, yes it's time consuming, yes you have to read up on law.... but you can do it without spending a fortune on court costs. It's up to you as a father what is more important to you. Having been to court and represented myself in a case to win something for one of my own children I understand the process a little (it was not a custody case).

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So does no-one have anything to say on this topic? Not sure if buried beneath other piles of threads or if genuinely not that interesting to discuss for others.... so anyway... BUMP

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim