― Anais Nin

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not American but I don't know why people think others have to listen all the time. Not just colour related BTW but any related.

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah ok, but i didn't like the style of the vid, it just seemed so very American.

I don't need one of their Tee shirts I can make my own.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Yeah ok, but i didn't like the style of the vid, it just seemed so very American.
    It is also a very American problem.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lol, this was kinda corny but good message, I suppose.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    It is also a very American problem.
    Who do you think the target audience was/is?

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Who do you think the target audience was/is?
    It seems to respond to opinions along the lines of *racism is not a problem* or *if we stop talking about race, racism will go away.*
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to respond to opinions along the lines of *racism is not a problem* or *if we stop talking about race, racism will go away.*

Lol Kim, I will give you a clue... it's in the title "Hey, White America,"

It's just so twee. I'd prefer it straight up and hard hitting but maybe the aim is to dumb it down and make it cuter? People have become so desensitised to the reality that they require fluffy cats to pay attention to anything. What a bizarre twist.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well yeah, white people who think racism is not a problem. The title is from the Huffpost article in which the video appeared, but the video also begins with *Hey White People.*

It's just so twee. I'd prefer it straight up and hard hitting but maybe the aim is to dumb it down and make it cuter? People have become so desensitised to the reality that they require fluffy cats to pay attention to anything. What a bizarre twist.
    There are hard-hitting videos and other forms of protest floating around. I think this one employs a certain rhetoric to appeal to people who prefer this format (it even says at the beginning *a kinda awkward note to America by Ferguson kids.* Or maybe the kids were involved and selected this format?

Why is it dumbed down? The facts are in there, just delivered in a certain way that might not appeal to you, but perhaps to others. Whatever works.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mfckr View Post
    Why is this even a race issue…? lol
    The irony is beautiful. You never disappoint.
    ― Anais Nin

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You are always seemingly so fixed in your views

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

most people are. try changing anybody elses mind about something like this.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just curious how that works out for you, doubt it would work well if you are on the receiving end.

Well I don't wish a huge discussion and de-rail your thread. Suppose I'm just curious.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Just curious how that works out for you, doubt it would work well if you are on the receiving end.

Well I don't wish a huge discussion and de-rail your thread. Suppose I'm just curious.
    I change my mind when presented with solid information that is compelling enough to sway my opinion. And I am on the receiving end all the time. I am not even sure what view I am supposedly so fixed on. That there is racism in the U.S.?
    ― Anais Nin

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I change my mind when presented with solid information that is compelling enough to sway my opinion. And I am on the receiving end all the time. I am not even sure what view I am supposedly so fixed on. That there is racism in the U.S.?
    OK, thanks!

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't need one of their Tee shirts I can make my own.
    My personal hell is the 'Welcome to America' video they play at the border.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, what's more salient to me is the overly-militarized looking cops pointing weapons at completely unarmed people. And I think if we want cops to stop shooting people, maybe society should instead be having a dialogue about changing police culture. Race discussions seem little more than a form of mass distraction in comparison.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should start arming black people 2nd amendment style.

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by mfckr; 12-25-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Creepy-male

This is more or less about civil unrest due to the incident involving an officer shooting a black passerby after a scuffle. I didn't watch the video because the way it was presented.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boring. Blacks are american citizens just like any other american and the US has to deal with it. American cops look fairly crazy but I guess they have their reasons.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

not handing out military equipment to local police who don't even know how to use it would be a tangible step in the right direction. also ive been hearing about the benefits of putting cameras on cops.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Well, what's more salient to me is the overly-militarized looking cops pointing weapons at completely unarmed people. And I think if we want cops to stop shooting people, maybe society should instead be having a dialogue about changing police culture. Race discussions seem little more than a form of mass distraction in comparison.
    militarized police using ridiculous methods to break up peaceful protests is the bigger issue to me personally (as a white person?) and i do think its unfortunate that the the race component of the incident detracts from the attention given to that. but that doesn't make race any less of an issue, just like things like gay marriage and abortion are still important issues for people even though they are used as distractions from other issues.

for the last couple days ive been reading sagan talk about the importance of skepticism and the scientific method and reading this with that floating in the back of my mind makes me wonder how as someone who prides themselves on logic and skeptical objectivity, you are so unwilling to give serious consideration to the neverending accounts and statistics regarding black people, police, violence, and prisons and instead seem to give credence only to your limited personal observations.

if i can give you advice in the same vein you gave me re use of the term "rape culture," you might get your views about police culture across better if you didn't also convey a dismissive & callous "lol why is this about race lol" attitude.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Whether or not it is a race issue should be up to the citizens of Ferguson to decide. They make this about race because they feel like they live with racialized police harassment and brutality every day. If they make it about race, then perhaps it might just be about race.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    if i can give you advice in the same vein you gave me re use of the term "rape culture," you might get your views about police culture across better if you didn't also convey a dismissive & callous "lol why is this about race lol" attitude.
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Lol, taking issue w/ heavy-handed police obviously isn't just for whites. Like the black open carry club's website states: "The recent murders of unarmed black, brown, and whites across the United States of America has eradicated trust in the police. Individuals across this nation have been stripped of due process, subjected to state-sponsored police terrorism, and continue to suffer the fate of being terminated extra-judicially."

I'm not even discounting that institutionalized racism remains a problem.

What I do think, is that racializing this particular issue is an inherently divisive approach, and thus isn't going to be a constructive pivot for change. Instead, we could all be uniting against our common enemy—the police.
    i do hope that the focus is on the police and not a divisive black vs white thing but i don't know if taking race out of the equation is viable when incidences of police brutality so commonly involve black people and trying to push race out of the way could also very well be seen as a divisive approach. i don't know the answer but i'm not sure why both issues can't be simultaneously addressed.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

High profile racial profiling case in the media right now. Racial profiling is police laziness and harassment of citizen who aren't doing anything due to racial prejudice on the parts of the officers(conscious and unconscious).

It's effects how people are treated when they're questioned. People are treated very differently when police engage them depending on who's there. The difference in stops is quite pronounced. Some people get warnings, other people get stripped searched for the same exact stop.

Cops need to learn how to deescalate situations like this because it's going to bite them in the ass. Black people gets stopped way more and they're treated way harsher for even simple mistakes, police need to learn how to resist their conscious/unconscious urge to escalate a situation and act in a professional manner. Cops still 20-30 years behind in perception as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

i do hope that the focus is on the police and not a divisive black vs white thing but i don't know if taking race out of the equation is viable when incidences of police brutality so commonly involve black people and trying to push race out of the way could also very well be seen as a divisive approach. i don't know the answer but i'm not sure why both issues can't be simultaneously addressed.
    Ignoring race problems is idiocy. Police perception of race and their responsibility to society is decades behind reality. That needs to be fixed too.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think being desensitized to reality leads to fluffy cats. I actually agree with this guy, and think that the public has to be confronted with unpredictable and varying tactics because you risk losing their attention otherwise. I've seen this tactic used before by Kid President. It's actually nothing new... (Oops! Did I just say that?! )

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For once it's good to see more guns on MLK.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Kimmy, I agree with Morgan Freeman on how to end racism. Please watch the video, it's only 1 minute.
    That would work if everyone stopped thinking in racial terms. Since that will not happen, we need to talk about to point out inequality and discrimination.

Edited to add an interesting response that I tend to agree with:

http://www.upworthy.com/heres-what-m...t-wrong?c=huf1
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Fi against Ti? Subjective, alienated emotional feelings and hate against basic categorical, systematic, stereotyping and labelistic thinking?

What do you actually want to come from talking about it? If you don't think people can stop thinking in racial terms anyway. That's a very despairing point of view, no?
    See the video I edited in. That reflects my views.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's sort of a circular argument to say that not talking about a problem won't make it go away, when there's questionable evidence of a problem existing if it's not talked about. Surely it's possible that the discussion not only perpetuates a problem but is counterproductive to solving it?
    I am afraid I do not follow. Right now we are talking about the Freeman video. Freeman says people need to stop talking about race. I say there are deeply embedded racial structures in American society that will not go away on their own. Jim Crow laws did not go away on their own. People fought for civil rights, mostly through having conversations. It is naive to think you can just stop talking about it and racism will magically disappear.

Recently a student of mine said that she hates the fact that Canada does not have a race discourse as the U.S. does. Especially in Toronto, there is a discourse of *we are so multicultural and diverse and embrace it.* Underneath it all is racism. But when she tells people that she was discriminated against or attacked or in other ways treated differently because of the color of her skin, people tell her that is ridiculous because is it not all so nice and racism-free. She says she finds it liberating to go to the U.S. Racism, according to her, is more blatant there, but there is also a conversation and she feels heard.

The protests in Ferguson are a response to endless racial discrimination. Regardless of why he was killed, his body was in the street for hours. Why? No answer. The police did not release information. This happens in a place in which people are used to being discriminated against because they are black and they are fed up. Whether or not the cop was racist is not the issue. The issue is that unarmed black males get shot, arrested, and convicted in disproportionate numbers all over the country and nothing will change unless people speak about, make it an issue, and force change. This happened in the 1960s in the U.S., it happened in South Africa to end Apartheid, and it is happening, thankfully, now. And this is why this is about race.
    Last edited by Kim; 09-16-2014 at 03:44 AM.
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Kimmy, I agree with Morgan Freeman on how to end racism. Please watch the video, it's only 1 minute.
    He also said this...

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman
    “The tea partiers who are controlling the Republican party ... their stated policy, publicly stated, is to do whatever it takes to see to it that Obama only serves one term,” he told CNN”s Piers Morgan. “What underlines that? Screw the country. We're going to do whatever we can to get this black man out of here."
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman
    The context of Freeman's comments were meant as a wider criticism of Donald Trump and his fellow birthers and were meant to attack Republican's and the presidents opponents.
    'He is being purposely, purposely thwarted by the Republican Party,' said Freeman.
    'Who started out at the beginning of his tenure saying, 'We are going to do whatever is necessary to make sure that he's only going to serve one term.
    'That means they will not cooperate with him on anything.
    'So to say he's ineffective is a misappropriation of the facts.'
    So he's pretty aware of the racism that exists in the world. He hasn't stopped thinking in racial terms has he?'

I don't really agree with Morgan Freeman too much politically but don't just selective quote what you want to believe.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

He says it much better:

― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

― Anais Nin

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for the last couple days ive been reading sagan talk about the importance of skepticism and the scientific method and reading this with that floating in the back of my mind makes me wonder how as someone who prides themselves on logic and skeptical objectivity, you are so unwilling to give serious consideration to the neverending accounts and statistics regarding black people, police, violence, and prisons and instead seem to give credence only to your limited personal observations.
    and yet, the lesson gleaned from Darwin's finches can never be applied to people

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoobie77 View Post
    and yet, the lesson gleaned from Darwin's finches can never be applied to people
    Oh it does apply to people, it just so happens it will also apply to you. The world is the way the world is because some survived and others were cast into the waste-bin of history. The question, are you fit or are you trash? You might not like the answer to that question when it's all said and done...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast