Thread: Jonathan Safran Foer

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Jonathan Safran Foer

has anybody read anything of his? what did you think?

“Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.”

“You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.”

“I love you also means I love you more than anyone loves you, or has loved you, or will love you, and also, I love you in a way that no one loves you, or has loved you, or will love you, and also, I love you in a way that I love no one else, and never have loved anyone else, and never will love anyone else.”

“Why didn't I learn to treat everything like it was the last time. My greatest regret was how much I believed in the future.”

“It was not the feeling of completeness I so needed, but the feeling of not being empty.”

“I regret that it takes a life to learn how to live.”

“I like to see people reunited, I like to see people run to each other, I like the kissing and the crying, I like the impatience, the stories that the mouth can't tell fast enough, the ears that aren't big enough, the eyes that can't take in all of the change, I like the hugging, the bringing together, the end of missing someone.”

“I hope that one day you will have the experience of doing something you do not understand for someone you love.”

“I think and think and think, I‘ve thought myself out of happiness one million times, but never once into it.”

“He awoke each morning with the desire to do right, to be a good and meaningful person, to be, as simple as it sounded and as impossible as it actually was, happy. And during the course of each day his heart would descend from his chest into his stomach. By early afternoon he was overcome by the feeling that nothing was right, or nothing was right for him, and by the desire to be alone. By evening he was fulfilled: alone in the magnitude of his grief, alone in his aimless guilt, alone even in his loneliness. I am not sad, he would repeat to himself over and over, I am not sad. As if he might one day convince himself. Or fool himself. Or convince others--the only thing worse than being sad is for others to know that you are sad. I am not sad. I am not sad. Because his life had unlimited potential for happiness, insofar as it was an empty white room. He would fall asleep with his heart at the foot of his bed, like some domesticated animal that was no part of him at all. And each morning he would wake with it again in the cupboard of his rib cage, having become a little heavier, a little weaker, but still pumping. And by the midafternoon he was again overcome with the desire to be somewhere else, someone else, someone else somewhere else. I am not sad.”

“Why do beautiful songs make you sad?' 'Because they aren't true.' 'Never?' 'Nothing is beautiful and true.”

“Time was passing like a hand waving from a train I wanted to be on.
    I hope you never have to think about anything as much as I think about you.”

“If there is no love in the world, we will make a new world, and we will give it walls, and we will furnish it with soft, red interiors, from the inside out, and give it a knocker that resonates like a diamond falling to a jeweller's felt so that we should never hear it. Love me, because love doesn't exist, and I have tried everything that does.”

“There were things I wanted to tell him. But I knew they would hurt him. So I buried them, and let them hurt me.”

“She was a genius of sadness, immersing herself in it, separating its numerous strands, appreciating its subtle nuances. She was a prism through which sadness could be divided into its infinite spectrum.”

“I feel too much. That's what's going on.' 'Do you think one can feel too much? Or just feel in the wrong ways?' 'My insides don't match up with my outsides.' 'Do anyone's insides and outsides match up?' 'I don't know. I'm only me.' 'Maybe that's what a person's personality is: the difference between the inside and outside.' 'But it's worse for me.' 'I wonder if everyone thinks it's worse for him.' 'Probably. But it really is worse for me.”

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

seems Ij i think

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like an INFp 4 to me but that´s kind of a stereotypical answer.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit