Thread: What was your first band ...

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What was your first band ...

what was the first band or bands that you've gotten into as a child and what genre was it? what was its appeal? which of these early bans have influenced your taste in music as an adult?

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I was only into classical music as a young child, and subsequently The Beatles and Pink Floyd (but only Dark Side of the Moon), The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed (which is very symphonic in style)...I later liked 1990s Popular Rock bands but D. Bowie was the first artist I really bought into. I still like most of these artists although with Bowie he has faded a little in terms of his recent output.

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Doo-*** and Motown around age 3.

I remember it hitting something deep in my soul. Still does.

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was around ten years old, I used to steal my parents' Queen CDs and hide away in the little cubby-hole by our stereo system with a pair of headphones for hours. I think that was my first real "band," though I did enjoy the Elton John and Hair Broadway soundtrack songs my mom played for me when I was even younger. I get super nostalgic when I listen to any songs from those artists/albums today, though they haven't really influenced the type of music I listen to now, I think.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i didn't listen to music as a child because i was too ashamed of it, and then around the age of 14-15 i got into japanese music. so i guess my first ever band that i got into was... actually i wasn't into bands, i was into artists and i pretty much worshiped YUI [fun editors note, i type her SLI]: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuw...hort-ver_music. mostly because she was unpretentious and simple in a way that i hadn't encountered in music anywhere else, and i could relate to that sort of down-to-earth naivete.

other japanese artists/bands i nerded over: Ikimono Gakari, school food punishment, Kagrra, Salyu, Amano Tsukiko, uhh probably more but i've blocked them out of my memory.

MORE ESOTERIC J-POP:

Creepy-bg

as a child (gradeschool, middle school and stuff) it was 80s hair metal stuff. Ratt, Kiss, Guns n Roses, etc... i liked them all, but i feel like there was a good amount of image shit going on (I secretly listened to bad 80s electro-pop stuff too, but i would never have admitted to it ).

The first band i really really got into just for myself was Janes Addiction.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Michael Jackson, Run DMC

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was 5, I would to listen to a defunct(?) band called Buddislam which recited Mahayanna sutras on a background of Salafist Jihadi music.. I don't even know who they were or where they came from, but I still have the cassette tape which my uncle got from a contact within the Iranian Communist party.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a cassette that was the sound track to this chinese drama:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2162790/externalreviews

(it's about a snake demoness type thing that falls in love with a mortal man and pretends to be human and stuff and marries him and the evil monk forces that try to keep them apart.

one night she gets drunk and transforms into a huuuge white snake and he sees and like, faints or dies? and she has to journey to the underworld to save him, making herself vulnerable to being caught and punished by the gods. finally he gets back to health but she's locked in a tower for a thousand years...)

also i didn't realize until older but the guy in the show is played by a woman??? no idea why...

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Opeth, ISIS, Agalloch and MF DOOM in ages 15-16.

And yeah, hugely influential on taste. I listen to a lot of extreme metal, post-rock and hip-hop and it's pretty obvious that it all started from these four.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

growing up, my dad listened to 50s and 60s pop music like the supremes and bobby vinton on the oldies station and sang along while he drove. sometimes he would engage me and my brother in the back with silly made up lyrics or funny faces. when i first started listening to music by myself it was pop/rnb tapes that i found lying around in the basement and when i was 8 i used to dance alone in my basement all the time to bobby brown or paula abdul. after my parents broke up when i was 9 my mom got really into grunge music and this was around the time i started watching mtv and i was surrounded by stuff like nirvana and alice in chains and nin. what i would count the most is the first time i remember actually feeling strongly affected by music enough for it to become important to me. that was fiona apple, which got me into other female singers like natalie imbruglia. i went through other music phases after that. but the two musicians who stand out the most are nirvana and fiona apple.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50s&60s, classic rock, whatever that was before classic rock (like the byrds), beachboys, rio speedwagon, 80s hair metal, heavy metal, 80s pop, also the country music from the late 70s to early 80s, and some from late 50s on up. Oh, and disney and other films shows (like winnie-the-pooh songs).

I pretty much stopped listening to music soon into the 90s. But I guess that makes up for all the stuff i loved that were way before my time.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Don't make fun of me, Vivaldi when I was 6 or 8. I still love Vivaldi.
    Also Abba because my mom was obsessed about them.
    Younger than that, it was all kind of child music.

Later, it was Susanne Vega and Michael Jackson (about 12 I would say).
    Then Robert Miles. The Prodigy at 16.
    And then my childhood was over

I don't know how it all influenced my music taste, I listen mostly to electro now.
    The band that impressed me most in my whole life: Röyksopp.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

My aunt played Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and maybe a few others like that, all the time. Before that I listened to Greek and Arabic belly dance type music that my mom played. I remember hearing a song on a classic rock station by Santana and thinking, "whoah! what is this?" and the song haunted my dreams for a very long time after. It still gives me the same feeling as the first time I heard it. I might have been 8 or 9.

Edit: the song is abruptly cut off at the end.

No one told me about her
    The way she lied
    Well, no one told me about her
    How many people cried

Well, it's too late to say you're sorry
    How would I know, why should I care
    Please don't bother trying to find her
    She's not there...oh oh oh

Nobody told me about her
    What could I do
    Well, nobody told me about her
    Though they all knew

Well, it's too late to say you're sorry
    How would I know, why should I care
    Please don't bother trying to find her
    She's not there....

Well, let me tell you about the way she looked
    The way she acted, the color of her hair
    Her voice is soft and cool
    Her eyes are clear and bright
    But she's not there...

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My first favorite band was Second Chapter of Acts. My dad had an 8-track of their music. They're probably still my favorite band, though they split up before I was born. I don't usually listen to bands.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first musical introductions were country and 60s/70s rock. The first three songs I ever fully learned the lyrics to were:

"Swingtown" by The Steve Miller Band, "Boot Scootin' Boogie" by Brooks and Dunn, and "Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus

This is bound to happen when raised by Texans.

I later spent a few solid years on 80s/90s hip hop and r&b.

My music tastes have always been a bit all over the place, but those were my first introductions.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In middle school, I thought I was cool, listenin' to Blink 182 with my walkman.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    I'm very critical about music I do and don't like and I judge people based on the music they listen to. Haha
    Seriously? I can't tell if you're joking or not.

There's so much more to a person than what music they listen to.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

The Monkees.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    lol. I'm joking @LIIbrarian . Although, when people tell me they like country music, punk, disco...whatever, I will make associations with other people that like that kind of music. If that makes sense? No, I'm not judging a person purely by their musical tastes
    like "Tammy listens to country and so does Sally. I wonder if Sally and Tammy have other things in common. I like Tammy, so maybe I will like Sally, too, because they might be alike since they both like similar music." That kind of judging,.. Which is why I like asking people what music, movies, favorite color, hobbies, political affiliations, or religions they belong to or that they like...Don't other people do this? Maybe I'm just weird.
    Yeah, everyone does it. Literally everyone. It's innate and how we evolved to network and socialize.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Smash Mouth, Killers, Green Day

The appeal is that they were catchy.

I don't like Smash Mouth anymore, the Killers devolved into some kind of pink-purple mush, and instead of listening to American Idiot Green Day, I listen to Dookie Green Day.

I still like alternative and punk; they are a major influence in most music I like to listen to.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just never really found music or bands that truly impressed me... most bands are actually pretty unimpressive if you ask me. I think about the only music that genuinely wowed me was like Beethoven...

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad raised me on Green Day, Blink-182, Barenaked Ladies, and English Rock Bands like Keane, Oasis, Muse, etc.

I still enjoy some throwback songs from some bands but I think the punk/chord style rock influenced what I listen to now.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Queen.

Because that's what I am.

I don't know about you but yeah I'm a 90ies kid yet ended up liking the 70ies
    The appeal: Dramatic, loud, majestic, classic, ecstatic, showy and strong. Influenced me in what way... I still like music that is very confident and full of energy.

Favorite tune:

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    I just never really found music or bands that truly impressed me... most bands are actually pretty unimpressive if you ask me. I think about the only music that genuinely wowed me was like Beethoven...
    I felt the same. You have to go back in time to find the truly prevailing, tested, virtuosic things. Which piece(s) of him did you enjoy the most?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I think it was this band:

I dont think it affected my future music taste. Im open to any genre of music as long as it feeds me something emotionally and spiritually.
    They make depressing music which matched my personality then. Their songs was not used for dancing, it was only for crying. I had an obsession with crying. The band broke up last year and I went to one of their last concerts and bawled my eyes out because they played a big part in a bad period of my life. Toward the end though their music turned shitty and lacking substance and emotion so it was for the best.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    I felt the same. You have to go back in time to find the truly prevailing, tested, virtuosic things. Which piece(s) of him did you enjoy the most?
    Definitely Symphony No. 9... My other favorites are Choral Fantasy, Piano Concerto No. 5, and "Moonlight Sonata". My God, how can music be so beautiful...

But you know, I don't really listen to classical music a lot, I also like pop music. I actually found Britney Spears' "Oops I Did It Again" to be pretty interesting... (produced by Max Martin). It sounded pretty unique. But I get bored of songs easily, and the artist needs to put A LOT of effort into making it in order to impress me.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Definitely Symphony No. 9... My other favorites are Choral Fantasy, Piano Concerto No. 5, and "Moonlight Sonata". My God, how can music be so beautiful...

But you know, I don't really listen to classical music a lot, I also like pop music. I actually found Britney Spears' "Oops I Did It Again" to be pretty interesting... (produced by Max Martin). It sounded pretty unique. But I get bored of songs easily, and the artist needs to put A LOT of effort into making it in order to impress me.

Nothing wrong with high expectations. Actually better, every customer lost to impressive music of effort is an incentive to step one's pop game up. How did the song sound unique in particular?

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing wrong with high expectations. Actually better, every customer lost to impressive music of effort is an incentive to step one's pop game up. How did the song sound unique in particular?
    Um... I don't know what exactly it is that sounded unique, it's just that it didn't really sound like many other mainstream pop songs. Also the title of the song is pretty unique... Hmmmmm, is there like a song that you're super interested in?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally I listened to a lot of classic rock stuff from my parents, Beatles, Pink Floyd, the Who, ... The first band that I got into on my own was Barenaked Ladies. I liked the clever lyrics and the catchiness of the music. I got the impression that Steven Page was Ne leading and Ed Robertson was Si leading but I took a closer look and now think Page might actually be EIE.

I'm not sure that it "influenced" me but I still like anything catchy with a strong beat and melody. In terms of genres I still enjoy indie pop/pop rock, but I also like a bit of classical and electronic type stuff, and occasionally hip hop. Lately I've been really into synthwave (Kavinsky, Electric Youth). Classic rock is still cool but if you listen to something too much it sort of loses its impact.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marilyn Manson and Slipknot.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    No Doubt was the first band that I was really into.

WELCOME TO THE TRAGIC KINGDOM
    That was the first album I ever bought

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Um... I don't know what exactly it is that sounded unique, it's just that it didn't really sound like many other mainstream pop songs. Also the title of the song is pretty unique... Hmmmmm, is there like a song that you're super interested in?
    Mhm, I guess Britney experimented with song structure there. I'm super interested in literally anything KPop. I think it suits my 3w4-ness a lot. Something excellent but also special, I like this. The artists/companies behind Kpop are ambitious - and Korean just adds a touch to the music I can't quite describe. I don't understand much but still love the word play. Initially superficial and "same-old beats" as in the west yes, but it has very quirky new things in it. Choreography and visuals are sooo important. Videos merge with the song much more and it has to be viewed together. I found a gem recently:

"The Rain" by Ladies' Code. It has such a sythie vibe. Written this year upon the 2014 death of two band members in a car accident, it was raining on that day. It describes both how the remaining girls moved on (the song is not too heavy) but are still in a state of deep melancholy. They displayed this beautifully imo. Maybe something for your Enneagram 4 feels, let me hear what you think.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fall Out Boy - I wasn't as precocious as you guys

MCR mogged the living shit out of them in retrospect

Last edited by suedehead; 04-09-2017 at 06:00 PM.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suedehead View Post
    MCR mogged the living shit out of them in retrospect

Ohhhh didn't expect this one

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Kylie Minogue, Depeche Mode, Britney Spears, N-Sync/Justin Timberlake, Robbie Williams...

The former two because of my parents, the latter because of the era...
    I am a 90s kid (and So/Sx synflow), so...
    Last edited by Olimpia; 04-09-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mhm, I guess Britney experimented with song structure there. I'm super interested in literally anything KPop. I think it suits my 3w4-ness a lot. Something excellent but also special, I like this. The artists/companies behind Kpop are ambitious - and Korean just adds a touch to the music I can't quite describe. I don't understand much but still love the word play. Initially superficial and "same-old beats" as in the west yes, but it has very quirky new things in it. Choreography and visuals are sooo important. Videos merge with the song much more and it has to be viewed together. I found a gem recently:

"The Rain" by Ladies' Code. It has such a sythie vibe. Written this year upon the 2014 death of two band members in a car accident, it was raining on that day. It describes both how the remaining girls moved on (the song is not too heavy) but are still in a state of deep melancholy. They displayed this beautifully imo. Maybe something for your Enneagram 4 feels, let me hear what you think.
    Well see the thing is... a lot of Kpop songs are actually written by Swedish writers. I don't know why, but there are a lot of Swedish song writers and they "export" themselves to the outside world by writing for many famous artists. Not just Kpop, but a lot of American pop songs are written by Swedish writers as well. Max Martin is one of them, he actually wrote 22 of the Billboard Hot 100 number-one hits. Anyway I'm a fan of them, I think they write nice and experimental pop songs that sound interesting.

Maybe an example is this... I found the structure of this song to be actually pretty interesting:

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well see the thing is... a lot of Kpop songs are actually written by Swedish writers. I don't know why, but there are a lot of Swedish song writers and they "export" themselves to the outside world by writing for many famous artists. Not just Kpop, but a lot of American pop songs are written by Swedish writers as well. Max Martin is one of them, he actually wrote 22 of the Billboard Hot 100 number-one hits. Anyway I'm a fan of them, I think they write nice and experimental pop songs that sound interesting.

Maybe an example is this... I found the structure of this song to be actually pretty interesting:

Cool, that's an interesting fact! *^* I usually listen to BTS who write more and more of their own songs so I'm surprised, and that sounds really good! What else did you listen to?
    Lucifer is one of my favorites because Taemin wears long hair The song structure yes, also the robotic beat. I guess it was such a hit because it sounded so foreign. SHINee's soloist Jonghyun has some experimental things as well, this is so great:

Probably because the pace is twisted around? It's a new take on it, I have never heard this before.