Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    The report says this development coincides with a retreat from globalisation in 1914-70. As globalisation ebbed, it argues, rich countries had more freedom to steer domestic policies and used it to narrow differences between rich and poor. As globalisation spread again after 1980, the opposite happened: “globalisation contributed to higher income inequality within countries,” the report concludes, “while at the same time leading to a decline of income inequality between countries.”
    this is interesting. the drivers of globalization are corporations. corporations are becoming the world powers (if they are not already the world powers) > government. "corporations" want to control the world's wealth and resources, and to thus control the world. i generally think of corporations as run by either a rather ethical group of individuals, or by a corrupt group of individuals who like to hoard power, money and resources. this latter case i suspect is way more common than the former. i don't really know how to change this in a way that will best benefit the most people and the world at large. we "vote" for corporations by buying their stuff and increasingly, it's getting harder and harder to get by without doing that. (not that i've ever tried to... i pondered researching corporations and their products so i can vote appropriately but it would be a lot of work especially considering how they aren't always terribly transparent about their activities--to understate it.)

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    this is interesting. the drivers of globalization are corporations. corporations are becoming the world powers (if they are not already the world powers) > government. "corporations" want to control the world's wealth and resources, and to thus control the world. i generally think of corporations as run by either a rather ethical group of individuals, or by a corrupt group of individuals who like to hoard power, money and resources. this latter case i suspect is way more common than the former. i don't really know how to change this in a way that will best benefit the most people and the world at large. we "vote" for corporations by buying their stuff and increasingly, it's getting harder and harder to get by without doing that. (not that i've ever tried to... i pondered researching corporations and their products so i can vote appropriately but it would be a lot of work especially considering how they aren't always terribly transparent about their activities--to understate it.)
    The wicked problem:

a) Wealth
    b) Equitable Country Wealth (Globalisation)
    c) Equitable Internal Wealth (Trade Barriers)

Choose 2.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Two interesting articles which I agree with:

Why growth is slowing:
    http://angrybearblog.com/2017/07/suc...-gdp-2008.html

Who voted for Trump?
    http://www.newgeography.com/content/...-and-a-dilemma

They are obviously linked.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This isn't a meme, but it does illustrate that the problem in the US today isn't a lack of jobs or low worker productivity. (Both measures are better now than they have been in a long time.) Rather, the problem is with the distribution of profits from that productivity to those people with jobs.

https://baselinescenario.com/2018/02...bs-and-growth/

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    This isn't a meme, but it does illustrate that the problem in the US today isn't a lack of jobs or low worker productivity. (Both measures are better now than they have been in a long time.) Rather, the problem is with the distribution of profits from that productivity to those people with jobs.

https://baselinescenario.com/2018/02...bs-and-growth/
    There is a lack of jobs. Corporations post completely fake job openings to take a tax credit on an inability to fill positions, because that's a liability on their profits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12