Thread: Which quadra thematically deals in...

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which quadra thematically deals in...

Character psychology in arbitrary settings? One of the interesting evolutions in the Gamma movie thread is that they're all central quadra themed and set in some kind of recognisable world with economics and power struggles. I do think this is a side effect of thematic priming prompting people for similar works, but perhaps there's some Socionics at play.

Two examples of what I'm thinking about: Mushishi and .hack//SIGN. Both have settings that are largely arbitrary but only thinly relatable (pastoral idealised Edo Japan and an MMORPG) and both deal in the social place (in different ways between the series) and psychology of the characters involved.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i don't know what you mean. do you have any examples of this in more popular/mainstream films?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Holon View Post
    Character psychology in arbitrary settings? One of the interesting evolutions in the Gamma movie thread is that they're all central quadra themed and set in some kind of recognisable world with economics and power struggles. I do think this is a side effect of thematic priming prompting people for similar works, but perhaps there's some Socionics at play.

Two examples of what I'm thinking about: Mushishi and .hack//SIGN. Both have settings that are largely arbitrary but only thinly relatable (pastoral idealised Edo Japan and an MMORPG) and both deal in the social place (in different ways between the series) and psychology of the characters involved.
    From what I understood of this, "character psychology in arbitrary settings," I would say you are talking about delta and alpha. At first I was going to say it sounds like the democratic quadras, gamma and alpha. But gamma personalities play out in a world of clear power struggles, as you said, and so do beta. From what I understand about the quadras, the structures of beta and gamma are continually shifting (Se), and there is a vision of what it will look like (Ni). So, these settings are not arbitrary.

Putting a character in a purely random situation and seeing what happens would happen in a delta/alpha world. If someone can continue on this that'd be great, I got a little stuck just now trying to explain..

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I interpret the OP correctly, it would be more likely delta than alpha (and I agree that it doesn't really hold weight in an Se/Ni context, where the thematic development is a bit more... definitive). involved fields lends itself to a more open-ended yet somewhat self-contained style of evolution, and internal statics sort of opens the way for 'arbitrary' settings, where the qualities and modalities can shift between characters and places easier. also delta as a whole seems to take a kind of distant psychological perspective, which I see further factoring into this. what detracts from it being alpha imo is Fe... there (partly due to external fields as well) is always a slightly more explicitly defined tenor to character and interpersonal development, the internalities are more directly accessible. hope this makes sense.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    i don't know what you mean. do you have any examples of this in more popular/mainstream films?
    basically most anime + the entire fantasy genre + some sci-fi etc. anything where the character interaction / development matters more than the context in which the characters exist.