Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 290

Thread: Ayn Rand's type (old discussion)

  1. #1
    Cone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Ayn Rand's type (old discussion)

    So my ISTj friend is forcing me to read Atlas Shrugged, and I was just wondering what is the general concensus on Ayn Rand's psychological type?

    I'll give my guess later.

    Your Quasi-Identical INTp friend,

    Cone


    quotes:
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au.../ayn_rand.html









    Last edited by silke; 07-16-2014 at 04:35 AM. Reason: updated links
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,246
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If I am remembering correctly, I think she is INTJ.
    Entp
    ILE

  3. #3
    Cone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hmm...well, I really think she may just be an ISFp for a couple reasons. First, she has a characteristic ISFp face. Then, on another site, I noticed that they type her as a "conscientious" type of personality, which would fit very well with an ISFp. And finally, and here's the big reason, her writing focuses so much on the interaction between people and their true feelings. She understands people so well that she is able to accurately paint portraits of them and their relationships. That kind of skill can only come from an ISFp.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Florida
    TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Posts
    3,249
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ayn Rand gave birth to objectivist philosophy, which is one of those subjects that are right up my alley!

    She seems to break everything down to its essentail nature to create a system that would logically work in society. Based on her philosophy, I would say she is either an INTj or an ENTp.

  5. #5
    Hiding Typhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Valhalla
    TIM
    Ni-ENFj
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Actually cone, when you see her pictures, her facial expression seems to suggest thinking. Im no expert at Vi though so be weary of what I just said.

    But cone, do you really think that only an ISFp can have a good understaning of relationships? I would think that INFjs and have a better understand of them due to their Fi Ne axis.

    So, I dont know what her type is

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Florida
    TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Posts
    3,249
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    She seemed to me the she had a great passion for life. That might be mistaken for or .

    Here is one aspect of her philosophy: right now we are using up are valuable time trying to be right about something, but what is being produced in the process?

  7. #7
    Cone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thank you, Transigent. I was up all last night trying to find out her type by V.I., and ISTj was one of the types I was considering. I expected something like that, considering her high authoritative personality and complete lack of understanding in human relationships. That explains why she hated Kant and adored Victor Hugo, and why my ISTj friend loves her writing.

    I just couldn't get over the fact that people actually thought she was an NT...

    So, I'll keep checking on the V.I. thing for ISTj and we'll go from there.


    Your INTp friend,

    Cone
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

  8. #8
    Forest-Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    ESTj
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A little off topic, but since this post began somewhat on the topic of literary authors, I'm wondering if any of you have read any David Malouf. He's a famous author from Australia, and when I read his novella, Fly Away Peter, for school, I was struck by the prevalence of what I think may be ideas in his books, which is quite unlike many novels that I have read in the past. However, I'm not sure whether any of you have read it - he is read fairly widely in Australia and Europe, but not particularly in America (where the majority of you come from, if I'm not mistaken).

  9. #9
    Dioklecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    4,304
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Ayn Rand

    ESTJ
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

  10. #10
    Logos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,406
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ISTj
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,833
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    XNTj.

  12. #12
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,624
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ISTj.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  13. #13
    Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Former USSR (global nomad)
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    2,050
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I typed her as ILE, but that was before I was aware of these video interviews:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5poUS...elated&search=
    I still tend to think ILE after watching this.
    I think a logical preference is self-evident, and I think > . I think her values are incompatible with American / moral values.
    I also think her rejection of all forms of compulsion, collectivism, and group responsibility goes against LSI.
    You can hear her Russian accent, btw. It's also hilarious to see Mike Wallace smoking during the interview.

  14. #14
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,624
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is no way an ILE can preach such an absolutistic worldview, I'm afraid.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  15. #15
    Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Former USSR (global nomad)
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    2,050
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    There is no way an ILE can preach such an absolutistic worldview, I'm afraid.
    But what about Karl Marx?
    I might be able to see SLE.

  16. #16
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,624
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    There is no way an ILE can preach such an absolutistic worldview, I'm afraid.
    But what about Karl Marx?
    I might be able to see SLE.
    Karl Marx is far from absolutistic in his writing, meaning, that if you really take a deeper look at them, you can see that even Marx didn't believe in anything he said.

    Besides, I think Ayn Rand is a crazy bitch, and that everything she says is a show of complete and utter stupidity and inhumanity.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,833
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    There is no way an ILE can preach such an absolutistic worldview, I'm afraid.
    I tend to agree with that. Otherwise ILE would have made some sense on V.I.

    One thing is almost absolutely obvious from those interviews in my opinion: that she must be some sort of NT. Her way of arguing seems to be very similar to my own, so I can't rule out ILI for sure either. Maybe the persons she portrays in her novels are different from the way she was in real life, which I do not know so much about. I have only read some of her novels, most of her political works, some other articles about her philosophy, and now also seen and heard her in action. I don't think that she looks like a typical LII, more like some ILEs I have met, or maybe like an ILI or an LIE.

    If I am roughly right about my grouping of different philosophers into Subjectivists (Relativists) and Objectivists, she clearly belongs to the Objectivist group (even though her philosophy "Objectivism" is not the same thing as what I have in mind when I use the same word, and the identity in labelling them both "Objectivism" is a mere coincidence). That would suggest that if she really is an NT (which is almost impossible for me to doubt) then she should be an LIE or an ILI. And if that is true, then an ILI is perhaps more likely to embrace the kind of philosophy she has made up. By the way, Karl Marx's ideas are very different in nature than Rand's, and Marx belongs to the Relativist group, which is also in accordance with what FDG said.

    My conclusion is that I'm still not sure which type I think she is -- only that it must be one of the NTs.

  18. #18
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Alpha NT.

    3:20-4:00

    What more proof do you need?

    Well, I'll give you some.

    Her philosophy is one of Ti, Fe, and unvalued Se. She does not believe in force. She believes in autonomy and complete independance, with nobody forcibly taking or needing anything material from anyone else (unvalued Se), but with self-interest serving as the primary means of social cooperation (an objectivist take on Fe). The fact that she insists that everything she stands for is logically deduceable and unfallacious, can be proven by pure reason, is quite Ti.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Ayn Rand

    Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    ESTJ
    I could see that, but care to elaborate?
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson


  20. #20
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ayn Rand is probably one of the most highly misunderstood and under-appreciated philosophers of the 20th century. The fact that people see her views as opposed to things like communism makes them blind to the fact that, in reality, she hates classical conservatives, and especially any kind of big-government philosophy (eg. Neo-cons), just as much. She's NOT simply "pro-capitalist;" it's not nearly that simple, and people who view it that way only do so because they fail to understand what she's actually saying. My personal philosophy is not much different, to be honest; I wouldn't doubt that the reasoning is very much the same.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  21. #21
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A comment from a YouTube user:

    What an amazing ability she had to make complicated ideas intelligible in brief statements, by cutting right to the essentials.. This is a really nice interview. Very interesting topics.
    Hello Ne dominance!
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I think her values are incompatible with American / moral values.
    Could you elaborate on this? I think I disagree with you, but want to hear more to be certain.

  23. #23
    Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Former USSR (global nomad)
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    2,050
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpbailey
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I think her values are incompatible with American / moral values.
    Could you elaborate on this? I think I disagree with you, but want to hear more to be certain.
    I was referring to the ideas of community, social service, volunteerism, charity, and working for a good cause. All of these familiar concepts are rejected by Ayn Rand and replaced with a kind of highly conceptual individualism where all "good deeds" are seen to be the result of self-interest instead of social or moral duty (concepts that she rejects).

    I'm still for the ILE version. I agree with Gilligan that her philosophy is not about capitalism as much as it is about individualism and rejection of coercion of any kind. The people I've known to have most resonated with her works have been types.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I was referring to the ideas of community, social service, volunteerism, charity, and working for a good cause. All of these familiar concepts are rejected by Ayn Rand and replaced with a kind of highly conceptual individualism where all "good deeds" are seen to be the result of self-interest instead of social or moral duty (concepts that she rejects).
    I don't really see anything wrong with that at all. Oh well, to each his or her own. As long as we're not hacking each other into pieces and using them for fertilizer.

  25. #25
    Logos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,406
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    [quote="Rick"]
    Quote Originally Posted by rpbailey
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I think her values are incompatible with American / moral values.
    I'm still for the ILE version. I agree with Gilligan that her philosophy is not about capitalism as much as it is about individualism and rejection of coercion of any kind. The people I've known to have most resonated with her works have been types.
    But I know just as many types who hate and are unable to relate to her works.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

  26. #26
    Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Former USSR (global nomad)
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    2,050
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpbailey
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I was referring to the ideas of community, social service, volunteerism, charity, and working for a good cause. All of these familiar concepts are rejected by Ayn Rand and replaced with a kind of highly conceptual individualism where all "good deeds" are seen to be the result of self-interest instead of social or moral duty (concepts that she rejects).
    I don't really see anything wrong with that at all. Oh well, to each his or her own. As long as we're not hacking each other into pieces and using them for fertilizer.
    Nor do I. In fact, I tend to see things that way myself. But it's just one of the ways of framing the same ideas. Of course Ayn Rand didn't envision a world where people would hack each other up for fun. And I'll bet that she made some effort to be nice and say the right things and do good stuff for people -- just like everyone else. She just preferred to describe her behavior in a way that was untraditional for American culture and was closer to her own type.

  27. #27
    Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Former USSR (global nomad)
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    2,050
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    [quote="Logos"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by rpbailey
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I think her values are incompatible with American / moral values.
    I'm still for the ILE version. I agree with Gilligan that her philosophy is not about capitalism as much as it is about individualism and rejection of coercion of any kind. The people I've known to have most resonated with her works have been types.
    But I know just as many types who hate and are unable to relate to her works.
    Yeah, that probably isn't much of an argument. I know some ILEs who detest socionics, too .

  28. #28
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,624
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So you don't see any in her philosophy?

    This is the worst typing ever.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  29. #29
    implied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,750
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    her eyes dart around like an ENTj. she also reminds me of sandra bernhardt, who seems ISTj/ESTpish.


    but her mannerisms and such remind me a lot of my dad in that interview. and i swear it isn't just the accent throwing me off!
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

  30. #30
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    So you don't see any in her philosophy?

    This is the worst typing ever.
    How do you see any? I can see how it could be misconstrued as such, but not by someone as smart as you. You might think of it in terms of a capitalist context, in which case it would appear to be all about materialism and making money. But, if you look at it objectively, it's all about the opposite of Se, with a dash of Si: it's the ultimate laissez-faire philosophy, with everybody indulging in personal pleasures and nobody having any control or authority over anyone else. This is the irony: Communism and Objectivism are thought of as exact opposites by almost everyone, while in reality they are based on very similar reasoning: nobody should be in control of anyone else, and everyone should be treated equally; the difference is that Rand wanted people to be treaed "fairly" in terms of giving them all the same opportunity by leveling the playing field, whereas Marx wanted people to be "forced" into being equals.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  31. #31
    Dioklecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    4,304
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Ayn Rand

    I will try to take this thread very seriously for personal reasons and try to type her correctly. I am doubting that she is ESTJ.
    She could be ENFP, INFJ or ENTJ too.

    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

  32. #32
    Logos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,406
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As much as it pains me to say it, she was probably an ENTp, since she reminds me very much of Karl Marx in terms of her adherence to her system ().
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

  33. #33
    Dioklecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    4,304
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Her system though is very closed in my experience, it's not something that one could add to or develope.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

  34. #34
    Dioklecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    4,304
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    She could be ESFP

    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

  35. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is a high degree of contrast evident between her IM and IE types. (whatever they are) This may make her difficult to type.

  36. #36
    Dioklecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    4,304
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What do you mean by IM TC?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,833
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Ayn Rand

    Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    I will try to take this thread very seriously for personal reasons and try to type her correctly. I am doubting that she is ESTJ.
    She could be ENFP, INFJ or ENTJ too.
    Either you are not serious, or you are the worst socionist I know. (Those two alternatives are not mutually exclusive, of course). She is DEFINITELY a logical type.

  38. #38
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    She is ENTp. and The only other thing I could see would be INTj.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  39. #39
    Dioklecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    4,304
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am perfectly serious, and it's quite likely that I am a terrible socionist. In fact I don't consider myself a socionist (for the record).

    However one does not need to be a socionist in order to understand types. I thought that she could be T too however, her logic is not very good. Her arguments are frankly terrible. Her ethics are much much stronger IMO. In fact her defence of capitalism is ethical not logical.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,833
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    However one does not need to be a socionist in order to understand types.
    We agree on that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    I thought that she could be T too however, her logic is not very good.
    That is irrelevant. Here you confuse two different concepts. The word "logic" in Socionics does not have the same meaning as in "formal logic" or "conceptual logic". Even logical types can think illogically.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    Her arguments are frankly terrible. Her ethics are much much stronger IMO. In fact her defence of capitalism is ethical not logical.
    Here the same arguments apply, but you confuse the concepts even more. Her defence of capitalism is based on ethical grounds, but her arguments are clearly logically constructed. She is good at conceptual logic, but that doesn't mean that her arguments are necessarily correct, since her premises might be false.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •