Thread: Lost opportunities and regret

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lost opportunities and regret

I finally cleaned off my coffee table after needing to for a long time. I ended up with a stack of books, a larger stack of magazines, and a small pile of travel brochures, mailers about local theater, and thank you notes.

When I finished clearing, I felt sad and anxious. Sadness over the shows I missed due to disorganization and procrastination, and another year passing without taking the trips I would have enjoyed. Rereading the thank you note, I felt sad that I did not get a chance to more deeply connect with my guests while they were visiting me. Anxiety while putting back the magazines, wondering if I would really sit and read them even though the topics looked interesting.

The coffee table is just one spot in my house that causes these emotions. Everywhere I look I see lost opportunities due to inaction.

Yes, this is definitely a first world problem, but what is wrong with me? I have had a good year in which much good has happened, but I feel regret that I have not done more, seen more, learned more.

Does anyone else struggle with this? I know that I just need to get over myself, but how?
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I struggle with that occasionally.

not sure "you need to get over yourself" i mean, it usually passes right? It's a byproduct of seeing more opportunities than you can humanly persue. It's normal to miss opportunities, but you don't have to like it. If the year was good you took the opportunities that, at the time, seemed the best for you. The rest is cost of opportunity, so nothing else to do but make the best of the coming year too

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zap View Post
    it's pretty much my life in a nutshell. bunch of giftcards which could only be used for 3 yrs which I never around to use. investments which I felt I should've made but never did. could've gotten hobbies esp physical ones but never did. ppl who are more stimulus seeking are more darwinistically fit.

Im an ectomorph, which one are u, ref & iris?
    Endomorph.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I take most opportunities and I never have regrets. I'm very optimistic about the future even if in reality it's bleek and even if I get into the deep depressive cycle. I always wish that things can happen that I can't often control directly. My dual cousin says "well it didn't happen and now what are you going to do about it? " most often the reaponse is "shoot myself in the head" but I'm her baby...she'll not npt like this option very much. She behaves lovingly and gingerly around me when I cycle down.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can be very optimistic about situations that many might think are pretty dire, because I often think I have the power to resolve it successfully (Se HA.)

I never have a "things always work out for the best" attitude, because I don't believe it is true. I think you have to intervene in situations to try to make things work out for the best.

Perhaps this discouragement is related to my inability to successfully plan in certain situations. I can be quite a good planner on occasion, especially if there is some great benefit to be obtained. But in daily life I don't seem to plan well.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I relate to everything you're saying 100%. I don't know how old you are but it's getting worse for me as I get older, and I'm still young. It's my 21st birthday this time next month and all I can think about is that it's been half a decade since I left school and all the time and opportunities I've wasted and all the things I've wanted to do but haven't, even though I'm objectively doing pretty well and I've achieved/am achieving most of the things I've set out to do.

I really wish I didn't have to sleep. ;-;

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Oh, I had a regret years ago. But I ripped it out of my memory like an old weed and it ain't been back since.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"People who dont have regrets are people who have not learned anything over the course of thier life. How can someone not reflect on the impact of their mistakes?"
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zap View Post
    it's pretty much my life in a nutshell. bunch of giftcards which could only be used for 3 yrs which I never around to use. investments which I felt I should've made but never did. could've gotten hobbies esp physical ones but never did. ppl who are more stimulus seeking are more darwinistically fit.

Im an ectomorph, which one are u, ref & iris?
    ectomorph too

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    "People who dont have regrets are people who have not learned anything over the course of thier life. How can someone not reflect on the impact of their mistakes?"
    or

I believe we can all reflect and learn while not holding onto regrets.

Edit: I am going to take back the part about "all reflect" because I know people who say they don't. I think most can though.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reficulris View Post
    ectomorph too
    Same and this deserves a thread that I have mentioned starting before. @Pookie

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm slightly concerned about lost business or work opportunities during the past, but I also believe I took most of the "good" ones and I could have hardly done better given my information at the time. Not terribly concerned about lost experiences, I've always known that life is short and I already "completed" a fair amount of experiences I wanted to "live".

Some mix of meso and ect btw.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    stop trying to be so perfect.

i do the same think with collecting show brochures and never attending any of them =<

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    stop trying to be so perfect.
    Gain some Humility
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.