Thread: We're responsible for those we have tamed

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default We're responsible for those we have tamed

what is your interpretation of this quote? I've heard someone say this to describe why he cares and commits to his relationship, as if his girlfriend was a wild cat (it was taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince).

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wtf is with all these little prince quotes in my life lately

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THE LITTLE PRINCE YES

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

isnt the book about a boy and a fox or something? im confused how this would apply to 2 people. it sounds codependent.

what fox ? thought he was alone on the moon and bored>?

will elaborate on it once i am done moving

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mfckr View Post
    Tamed? wtf
    ...... Don't think you understood it at all.................

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Ok, first off the book itself is adorable. And it's cool being all ~~ "wtf! individualism!" ... However, relationships do have an affect on the world view/ behaviors of those involved in some way whether welcomed or not.

There is an eternal cause/effect dynamic in life, yes? Personal responsibility is a heavy burden...People, including myself, like to occasionally (or often depending on the fuckery of the person) ignore the fact that we impact other's lives sometimes minorly and sometimes dramatically, but all the time nonetheless.

The quote itself was concerning a rose that the little prince decided to care for. It's centered around why we even care for others...You don't find someone important just because they exist; those you deem or previously deemed closest to you are those that you have spent time together with, memories you have shared that make them important and differentiate them from others. You are responsible for those you have tamed (re: let in to your world...became emotionally involved with in some way), the same as they are for you; this in itself doesn't mean much other than: there's a risk involved with letting people in to yourself and to the other person. It's acknowledging that and means to take responsibility for your actions: it is not meaning that you own someone and it is not meaning that you've actually sit there with a whip and training kit. It fuckin happens regardless in small ways. And then it ends or it changes and... viola...you've affected someone and vice versa.

the gist of it is-- If you care for someone, if you make a promise, if you let them know they are your friend, then you are responsible for the way you treat them. You can’t just walk away when you’re done, and treat them badly, and think it’s perfectly okay. If you have a child, it is your responsibility to look after them. If you tell someone you love them, you should mean it. If you make a friend, be mindful of the kind of friend you are. Be aware. Be kind. Be responsible.

....ta-da.

(and I think your friend in OP is using that quote because he thinks he calmed his gf down...which ok..guess it can be used in that way... basically the more you change for someone...or relax for someone as it sounds in her case...the more vulnerable they are/have become).

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we're responsible for those we have tamed- we are responsible for decisions we make, relationships we establish, actions that we do.. the way i see it is that this quote is freeversified/ prozaic definition of the causality of our immediate actions and would correlate well with causal-determinist cognition process of ILE Exupery.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    ...... Don't think you understood it at all.................

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Ok, first off the book itself is adorable. And it's cool being all ~~ "wtf! individualism!" ... However, relationships do have an affect on the world view/ behaviors of those involved in some way whether welcomed or not.

There is an eternal cause/effect dynamic in life, yes? Personal responsibility is a heavy burden...People, including myself, like to occasionally (or often depending on the fuckery of the person) ignore the fact that we impact other's lives sometimes minorly and sometimes dramatically, but all the time nonetheless.

The quote itself was concerning a rose that the little prince decided to care for. It's centered around why we even care for others...You don't find someone important just because they exist; those you deem or previously deemed closest to you are those that you have spent time together with, memories you have shared that make them important and differentiate them from others. You are responsible for those you have tamed (re: let in to your world...became emotionally involved with in some way), the same as they are for you; this in itself doesn't mean much other than: there's a risk involved with letting people in to yourself and to the other person. It's acknowledging that and means to take responsibility for your actions: it is not meaning that you own someone and it is not meaning that you've actually sit there with a whip and training kit. It fuckin happens regardless in small ways. And then it ends or it changes and... viola...you've affected someone and vice versa.

the gist of it is-- If you care for someone, if you make a promise, if you let them know they are your friend, then you are responsible for the way you treat them. You can’t just walk away when you’re done, and treat them badly, and think it’s perfectly okay. If you have a child, it is your responsibility to look after them. If you tell someone you love them, you should mean it. If you make a friend, be mindful of the kind of friend you are. Be aware. Be kind. Be responsible.

....ta-da.

(and I think your friend in OP is using that quote because he thinks he calmed his gf down...which ok..guess it can be used in that way... basically the more you change for someone...or relax for someone as it sounds in her case...the more vulnerable they are/have become).
    BB wins the thread and it can be closed. Perfect explanation and really all there is to say. "The Friend" uses it in a not so appealing context, but I can't say i'm opposed to people misusing quotes since that's a hobby of mine.

Loved the analysis BB!

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's true I haven't read the book so I'm obv. lacking context. But at face value, if someone said to me, it would come off patronizing. The notion of 'taming' just has all the wrong connotations to me.
    yeah, well you've a never ending habit of throwing your generalizations onto most everything with lack of context and interest in even understanding it's meaning... bit pointless if you ask me.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure I was questioning it, not generalizing.
    Oh I'm sorry "Tamed? Wtf?" was a sincere question?....yeaaaaaah, oooookkkk

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on guys, the book is like 40 pages long. If you don't know what any of this means, take the half-hour out of your life and read it.

So there's a brief scene (like all scenes in Le Petit Prince) where the prince meets a fox. He thinks the fox is cool and wants to play, but the fox refuses because he is "untamed," which in the context means un-befriended. Over time they grow close, and the fox thusly refers to himself as tamed.

There, learn'd.
    Last edited by Galen; 08-22-2014 at 04:34 PM.