Thread: Suicidal ideation by type?

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Suicidal ideation by type?

One model of suicide is that social alienation and a sense of burdensomeness lead to suicidal ideation, and this, combined with an ability to overcome the fear of death and pain, lead to a suicidal act: http://www.apa.org/science/about/psa...sci-brief.aspx

Obviously there are several models, one involving self-efficacy that would work specifically against types like ITs, which I imagine are the most socially isolated, being the most prone to suicidal ideation.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Social isolation never made me feel suicidal but being around too many people with too many opinions, clouding my thinking, did. I just wanted to get away from them. I am cool on my own. I didn't read the article yet, but I will.

I haven't felt seriously suicidal in forever but the thought crosses my mind now and then. It is my freedom should I ever need it and that is enough to keep me living, knowing the escape would ultimately be my choice. I have no judgment on that action when it comes to myself so I feel pretty neutral on it. I was just talking about this earlier, a little bit more in depth than I am willing to go here, so it is in the ethers today.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's please not mix socionic typology with suicidal ideation.

I'm not even up for debating this point with you, I worked in a crisis line call centre for years and unless you have some kind of first hand knowledge (occupational experience, psychology, social work, ect), it is difficult to gauge where you are coming from here when you suggest suicide and certain sociotypes being a risk factor? Suicide is not more or less common in any of the sociotypes. I'm sorry, but frankly I am ticked off to even see the two mixed together, which they are most definitely not. Isolation comes in many forms and to say that typological personalities is the culprit is ludicrous. Doing so disempowers people with suicidal thoughts by creating a world view that may cause them to further blame themselves. "I am lonely because of who I am". Isolation is a contributing risk factor, BUT it is not the main cause!

One thing I am pleased to see is that people are starting to discuss suicide as it one of the last taboo topics in our culture. I have heard people cry out in agony that they can no longer carry the burden of the pain they are experiencing. I have called paramedics to the scene of a women who had initiated suicide. I have seen research that shows suicide and suicidal thoughts are actually very common and happen for most people at least once in their lifetimes.

Feelings of loneliness, abandonment or not being meaningfully connected to others can build up over time and become overwhelming. Some of the contributing factors to loneliness include external and internal forces.

External forces (things outside of ones control): new environment/new town; isolated, single, elderly, married; dibilitating disease/illness (physical/mental); recent relationship loss or change.

Internal factors (beliefs, choices: these are within ones control but may be difficult to change): rigid thought patterns; low self-esteem; personal tramua or grief; serious addiction; caught up in an abusive relationship.

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@wacey my developing idea at the moment is that there are links between psychological and social ill health and what types people are drawn to. My angle isn't "ILIs are happy, healthy people who by virtue of their type are more likely to think about killing themselves", but "people who are socially isolated and experiencing difficulties with relationships, and hence are more likely to be experiencing suicidal ideation, are more likely to see themselves reflected in the ways that IT types are described". What beliefs do you believe I hold, or arguments you believe I'm trying to make, that have offended you so much?

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I want to commit a suicide, I am a socially awkward ILI.
    I do not want to suicide, I am a happy peppy ESE.
    How convenient... After socioniclothing, here we have suidacionics...

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Go watch this movie...

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*grin*
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna