Thread: True Detective

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default True Detective

I just got finished watching this two days ago. Pretty cool show.

It's a good super-modern depiction of what it looks like when intuitive and sensing types work together on something.

Rustin Cohle
    ILI or LIE, sx/sp or sp/sx, 5 or 8

He seems to be a bit Se-ESI flavoured (one of those lonewolf badassy kind of dudes, the smoking indoors thing made me think of Hunter S. Thompson and his individual mental set of rules he followed), but the Ni and Te seem to be his most present conversational aspects. It's obvious that he was written as an introvert, but it's hard to ascertain whether his giant ledger would point to irrationality or rationality. LIEs are depicted as typically not gathering "enough" information to act on from the ILI's viewpoint, yet he comes off as hasty to Marty when he puts his assertions about the case forward.

Te and Ti are obviously going to come out a lot more in a crime show, but I don't think I've ever heard a Se ego say the kind of shit he does, whereas you hear those kind of cynical metaphorical barbs from Ni egos often.

Marty Hart
    LSI so/sp, 1 or 6
    (Sensing, Logical, Aristocratic, Emotive, Positivist)

I'm open to the idea that he might be LSE, but he reminds me of LSIs I know and the way they react to Ni. "Is there anything in those books about jumping to conclusions?" Still, he ends up appreciating Rust's insight and is eventually convinced when little bits of evidence lending credence to the assumptions made earlier on.

Other characters:

Maggie Hart
    Audrey Hart
    Maisey Hart
    Det. Maynard Gilbough
    Det. Thomas Papania
    Lisa Tragnetti
    Errol Childress

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I tried watching the pilot. It's terrible.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    I tried watching the pilot. It's terrible.
    Yeah. I thought it was slow and almost turned it off, but it picks up and gets a lot more interesting after that.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just tuned into this... . only few minutes in. but I really like the Rusty character. I dug everything he said.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

love this show!

Hart is definitely an LSE and i'm pretty sure an sx/sp. he lacks meticulousness for an LSI and is quite prone to conflicts. both LSE and LSIs are prone to say those things cause of the typical summarization affinity.
    as for Rust i'd agree very much on ILI E5W6 or 8W9 ---- i'd even go with an ILE-Ti with ptsp cause, lol, he IS heavily depressed in the show hence the closed off-ness.
    but somehow he vibes beta ST to me too - i guess cause of the justice/truth seeking component and propensity to violence -- lol well as long as there are no prejudices here

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miss BabyDoll View Post
    as for Rust i'd agree very much on ILI E5W6 or 8W9 ---- i'd even go with an ILE-Ti with ptsp cause, lol, he IS heavily depressed in the show hence the closed off-ness.
    but somehow he vibes beta ST to me too - i guess cause of the justice/truth seeking component and propensity to violence -- lol well as long as there are no prejudices here
    I couldn't see a beta ST spitting out something like this:

or this:

They're kind of 'too plugged into the system' from what I've observed. Sure they get angry at things people do, but it always strikes me as being inside the physical world.

The Ni ego's take on that would be more likely to group incredibly large amounts of people into a trend analysis and then critique it based on their rational IE of choice (so Te/Fi or Fe/Ti). Adding to this idea, I've talked to a number of Ni ego people and there seems to be a general sharing of experience of feeling like life (so the physical and social spheres) is like a fishbowl and they're on the outside looking in. Sometimes the phrasing changes, but the sentiment remains the same.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    They're kind of 'too plugged into the system' from what I've observed. Sure they get angry at things people do, but it always strikes me as being inside the physical world.

The Ni ego's take on that would be more likely to group incredibly large amounts of people into a trend analysis and then critique it based on their rational IE of choice (so Te/Fi or Fe/Ti). Adding to this idea, I've talked to a number of Ni ego people and there seems to be a general sharing of experience of feeling like life (so the physical and social spheres) is like a fishbowl and they're on the outside looking in. Sometimes the phrasing changes, but the sentiment remains the same.
    yah, i agree with you on the ni take and i'm totally on board with that theory! i just said t beta st vibe cause of the way he physically deals with stuff! like he has the rebel, the recluse, the lone wolf mentality.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miss BabyDoll View Post
    yah, i agree with you on the ni take and i'm totally on board with that theory! i just said t beta st vibe cause of the way he physically deals with stuff! like he has the rebel, the recluse, the lone wolf mentality.
    Being so-last could explain the rebel/recluse/lone wolf thing.

I'm starting to come around to the idea of Rust being LIE, purely on information elements. I think that's a big possibility and he's just closed for business on the social front. His daughter died and his wife left him. The Te and Ni are strong with him and easily noticeable.

The position of Se in ILIs and LIEs seems to be the difference between being getting trapped by inertia and not. Rust's definitely a doer rather than a thinker, even though he has the giant ledger and takes in lots of information. Se mobilising could provide the badassery that you see when he goes undercover, because it's powered by drive and necessity. He purposely doesn't have an impressive or powerful appearance, McConaughey was almost rail thin in the 1995 and 2002 portions with a tired looking face near constantly. You tend to not see him get his way with people, more like instead, they can't get their way with him because he doubles down. When he peels off from Marty or the office, he usually goes off to chase up witnesses away from the cops that might find issue with that brand of off-the-record investigating.

LIEs definitely aren't the type to bow and kiss the ring in the workplace unless they have to (at least from my inference and talking with a few others). Most of them seem to have a problem with the way things are done, especially when it comes to rules that restrict activity, so they tend to nod and then run off do their own thing if they can get away with it.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm starting to come around to the idea of Rust being LIE, purely on information elements. I think that's a big possibility and he's just closed for business on the social front. His daughter died and his wife left him. The Te and Ni are strong with him and easily noticeable.

The position of Se in ILIs and LIEs seems to be the difference between being getting trapped by inertia and not. Rust's definitely a doer rather than a thinker, even though he has the giant ledger and takes in lots of information. Se mobilising could provide the badassery that you see when he goes undercover, because it's powered by drive and necessity. He purposely doesn't have an impressive or powerful appearance, McConaughey was almost rail thin in the 1995 and 2002 portions with a tired looking face near constantly. You tend to not see him get his way with people, more like instead, they can't get their way with him because he doubles down. When he peels off from Marty or the office, he usually goes off to chase up witnesses away from the cops that might find issue with that brand of off-the-record investigating.

LIEs definitely aren't the type to bow and kiss the ring in the workplace unless they have to (at least from my inference and talking with a few others). Most of them seem to have a problem with the way things are done, especially when it comes to rules that restrict activity, so they tend to nod and then run off do their own thing if they can get away with it.

hmm, i'd be perfectly fine with the LIE concept if few things didn't bother me. LIEs, due to creative Ni have the tendency to think too much of the consequences and of timing of decisions, rather than actually act on them, although to a lesser extent than in the case of Ni dominants.
    Similarly, LIEs are concerned with covering all possible long-term outcomes, and will often make a suggestion to do something "just in case"which leads them to do what is useful only theoretically, and not actually.if we look at rust he doesn't have a back up plan on his actions, he's highly proactive and he definitely doesn't think about the consequences.
    third function - Fe- LIEs make an effort to adapt to the prevailing emotional atmosphere, especially in group situations, and try to promote a positive emotional environment, in the form of witty remarks esp. in the presence of individuals they are already somewhat acquainted with and which appreciate... hooweverrrr, this is disputable cause i'm following the "he's depressed" premise so i wouldn't take it as seriously.
    i actually really like your description of his Se mobilising - but usually LIEs Se is highly motivated with either finantial gain or strictly professional but rust's truth/answers seeking imo comes from the different place- he wants to find the answers cause he wants to know the truth/restore justice.....
    here ili- te fits very well imo---- 4th function Fe makes them analyze situations and make decisions in a very logical and scientific manner. Their reliance on objectivity and accumulation of factual knowledge leaves very little room for decisions based on emotional considerations. ILIs deeply dislike being asked or coerced to express their emotions. They are most comfortable expressing negative sentiments which indicate their disdain for required emotional participation.....

ya know what?
    it's really hard to tell since he's clearly physically unhealthy (the depression, the ptsd) and it's difficult to analyze it properly. he really can be either.
    i like your LIE variant --- made me think about his whole character concept differently as for his variant ---- hmm i'd say he's sp last considering the lifestyle he leads ha

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda leaned towards NiTe for because the themes of his monologues.

Like someone who once used to believe in some greater good and was let down repeatedly and determinately forming his own "truth"... relying less on a system (Te vs Ti) ...which make up his .. (somewhat bitter) viewpoints...Most of which seem to be objective observations revolving around the absurdities of life and his overall disgust towards most human behavior.

His line about ( I googled and found it), "I'd consider myself a realist, alright? But in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist... I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself - we are creatures that should not exist by natural law... We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, that accretion of sensory experience and feelings, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everbody's nobody... I think the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming. Stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction - one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal. "

such an NiTe-ish thing to say.

~~but it's characters. Idk. I just like a ton of the quotes from what I've seen thus far. (from youtube vids).

my ILE liaison was awestruck by cohle

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sevjenn View Post
    my ILE liaison was awestruck by cohle
    lol it's safe to say I was pretty awestruck too

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good show. I'm halfway through watching Season 1 and so far agree with Gamma NT for Rustin Cohle (ILI>LIE) and LSX for Marty Hart.

Any thoughts on Marty's wife's type?

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought SLE and ILI. And I was a bit disappointed with the ending of the season and felt I'd wasted my time watching it. That said, I'll probably check out the next season.
    Last edited by Joy; 08-20-2014 at 02:43 AM.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    Fi-Ni
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought they were obvious ILI-Ni and SEE-Se. But I could see SLE too.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably my favorite show right now.

Rustin Cohle- LIE-Ni. It's tempting to say ILI just because he is an introvert but based purely on how he actually seems, he is more like an LIE. ILIs as Te creatives communicate there Te more and thus sound more technical whereas Ni creatives will communicate their Ni. Plus, he knows a ton in a wide-array of areas

Marty Hart- SLI- An extremely cold one at that. He is very traditional and nostalgic in the way I typically see Si egos as. Reminds me a lot of this SLI in my small engines class who was super touchy and would get on to me for the smallest things.
    Last edited by Contra; 04-15-2015 at 08:00 PM.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    Probably my favorite show right now.

Rustin Cohle- LIE-Ni. It's tempting to say ILI just because he is an introvert but based purely on how he actually seems, he is more like an LIE. ILIs as Te creatives communicate there Te more and thus sound more technical whereas Ni creatives will communicate their Ni. Plus, he knows a ton in a wide-array of areas.
    I'm retarded. This was when I was self-typing LIE. I pretty much just think he's my identical so ILI-Ni. And Marty works as LSE.

I never watched it. I just saw quotes, pictures from other people, while it aired (and people comparing it somehow to Hannibal), but I never really saw/noticed and got into it. But for whatever reason, one quote catched my particular interest and I remember it: Death created time to grow the things it will kill. I stumbled upon a video about Rust Cohle recently and I clicked it because I remembered the quote and... uhm... wowzaa... wow...really. Maybe I should give it a try (but I just don’t have the time for it rn...ugh).

(1:19)
    You see we all got what I call a life trap, a gene deep certainty that things will be different... that you'll move to another city and meet the people that'll be the friends for the rest of your life... that you'll fall in love and be fulfilled... fucking fulfillment... and closure whatever the fuck those two fuckin' empty jars to hold this shit storm. Nothing's ever fulfilled, not until the very end. and closure. Nothing is ever over.

(2:00) The ontological fallacy of expecting a light at the end of the tunnel, well, that's what the preacher sells, same as a shrink. See, the preacher, he encourages your capacity for illusion. Then he tells you it's a fucking virtue. Always a buck to be had doing that, and it's such a desperate sense of entitlement, isn't it?

(2:45) People... I have seen the finale of thousands of lives, man. Young, old, each one so sure of their realness. You know that their sensory experience constituted a unique individual with purpose and meaning. So certain that they were more than biological puppet. The truth wills out, and everybody sees. Once the strings are cut, all fall down.

(3:44) This... This is what I'm talking about. This is what I mean when I'm talkin' about time, and death, and futility. all right there are broader ideas at work, mainly what is owed between us as a society for our mutual illusions. 14 straight hours of staring at DB's, these are the things ya think of. You ever done that? You look in their eyes, even in a picture, doesn't matter if they're dead or alive, you can still read 'em. You know what you see? They welcomed it... not at first, but... right there in the last instant. It's an unmistakable relief. See, cause they were afraid, and now they saw for the very first time how easy it was to just... let go. Yeah They saw, in that last nanosecond, they saw... what they were. You, yourself, this whole big drama, it was never more than a jerry rig of presumption and dumb will, and you could just let go. To finally know that you didn't have to hold on so tight. To realize that all your life, all your love, all your hate, all your memories, all your pain, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream, a dream that you had inside a locked room, a dream about being a person. And like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it.

(6:06) Why should I live in history, huh? I don’t want to know anything anymore. This is a world where nothing is solved. Someone once told me time is a flat circle. Everything we’ve ever done, or will do, we’re gonna do over and over and over again.

(6:52) It’s like in this universe, we process time linearly forward. But outside of our spacetime, from what would be a fourth-dimensional perspective, time wouldn’t exist, and from that vantage, could we attain it. We’d see our spacetime would look flattened, like a single sculpture with matter in a superposition of every place it ever occupied, our sentience just cycling through our lives like carts on a track. See, everything outside our dimension that’s eternity, eternity looking down on us. Now, to us, it’s a sphere, but to them… it’s a circle.

(8:15) In eternity where there is no time, nothing grows, nothing becomes and nothing changes. Death created time to grow the things it will kill. You are reborn, but into the same life that you were reborn into. You can’t remember your lives; you can’t change your life. That is the terrible secret fate of all life. You are trapped. A nightmare you keep waking up to.

... kinda nihilistic. Just going by the clips, I could see Gamma NT. There is sth. I pick up in the quotes, is it negativism?

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Just started watching this....looove it!

Rusty ILI (e5??)
    Marty LSE e6

Rusty is hot and interesting and Marty most despicable, cowardly and hypocritical person.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    Just started watching this....looove it!

Rusty ILI (e5??)
    Marty LSE e6

Rusty is hot and interesting and Marty most despicable, cowardly and hypocritical person.
    100% agree

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rustin Cohle
    ILI or LIE
    Dude, fuck yes. I recently subscribed to HBO Now for Game of Thrones coming up and somebody recommended season one of True Detective. It was slow in the first episode but I kept watching and wow, I have no problem saying he's definitely Gamma NT. Probably the best Gamma NT character I've seen in a series. I loved how they contrasted him with Marty, like they were kind of at odds all the time. I kind of think Marty was more LSE (at least Marty didn't seem to value Ni at all) and Rusty more a supervision role than a benefit, but I don't know, but ST makes sense. I feel like their interactions were a conflict of Si and Ni values at least.

TIM
    ESI 468 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really loved season 1. And, despite pretty poor reviews I really didn't mind Season 2, but it was nothing like Season 1.

Season 3 was VERY VERY good imo. Slow build and fascinating structure to it, with the main character beginning to get lost in dementia.

Any thoughts? Typings? One of the best-crafted shows I've ever seen.

Initial typing guesses below, but I'm not married to them!! :

Detective Wayne Hays: ISTp
    Amelia (Reardon) Hays: INFj
    Detective Roland West: ESTj?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't know about Rustin Cohle, but I just watched Matthew McConaughey in Interstellar and that guy is as ESI as the day is long.

Eccentric Neurotic Narcissist andreasdevig's Avatar
    TIM
    FiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loved season 1 and loving season 2 so far.
    EII-INFj / INFP / Strong E4 and 9 energy / Melancholic-Phlegmatic / Musical-Intrapersonal-Spatial / Kinky-Sensual

Banned
    TIM
    SLE, SLUEN, VFLE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rust Cohle LII
    Marty Hart SEI
    Ray Velcoro ESI
    Errol Childress IEI
    Ani Bezzerides SLI
    Wayne Hays LSI
    Roland West SLE

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rust Cohle lives exactly like my ILI friend and fits the bill after watching 15min of the first episode.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep meaning to watch this show. Lately I've been staying away from grimdark Ni. Ofc it's all futile and vanity and full of sounds and fury and signifying nothing.

But like, do it anyway ?

Plus I'm not a major fan of crime detective shows.

Sorry for this useless post.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    I keep meaning to watch this show. Lately I've been staying away from grimdark Ni. Ofc it's all futile and vanity and full of sounds and fury and signifying nothing.

But like, do it anyway ?

Plus I'm not a major fan of crime detective shows.

Sorry for this useless post.
    Matthew McConaughey is a good actor, and he, as an ESI, is more able to play an ILI than if he were an ILI trying to play an ESI. ILIs are ringtone pure and don't deviate in the slightest from their nature.

Lol about the "grimdark Ni" comment, @timber. The ILI's main program is to warn the happy-go-lucky SEEs about the future consequences of the SEE's ill-considered actions. They are grim and dark, indeed.

Below is a true ILI, doing his natural thing. Notice that his salvation at the end is an ESI angel.

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanted to watch it after seeing the intro sequence and music for the first season. Now I finally had time and it was worth it. Not sure if I'll continue watch the other seasons since it's no longer the same characters. Probably not.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinoche buenanoche View Post
    Looks to me like:
    He: ESI
    She: LIE.

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rust - ILI
    Marty - LSE
    Maggie - ESI

Season 1 is a masterpiece from the intro to the end.
    Yeah, Interstellar was as good.