Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Inspirational quotes

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Whatever you now find weird, ugly, uncomfortable and nasty about a new medium will surely become its signature. CD distortion, the jitteriness of digital video, the crap sound of 8-bit - all of these will be cherished and emulated as soon as they can be avoided. It’s the sound of failure: so much modern art is the sound of things going out of control, of a medium pushing to its limits and breaking apart. The distorted guitar sound is the sound of something too loud for the medium supposed to carry it. The blues singer with the cracked voice is the sound of an emotional cry too powerful for the throat that releases it. The excitement of grainy film, of bleached-out black and white, is the excitement of witnessing events too momentous for the medium assigned to record them." ~ Brian Eno

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Providing feline content for you, the leonine kind. Lions are so flawless and strong, they're perfect for motivational quotes.

Fav:

Last edited by Chae; 03-09-2017 at 03:19 PM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is so important

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not-knowing is true knowledge.
    Presuming to know is a disease.

First
    realize that you are sick;
    then you can move toward health.
    The Master is her own physician.
    She has healed herself of all knowing.
    Thus she is truly whole.

- Lao Tzu

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"Cast away all negative thoughts and fears. If your will is yoked to wisdom, you can achieve anything." ~ Paramahansa Yogananda
    [Today 07:57 AM] Raver: Life is a ride that lasts very long, but still a ride. It is a dream that we have yet to awaken from.

It's hard to find a love through every shade of grey.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

My God is rock'n'roll. It's an obscure power that can change your life. The most important part of my religion is to play guitar. ~ Lou Reed

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself.
    — Henry Miller
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We kill all the caterpillars, then complain there are no butterflies.

— John Marsden

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. ~ Douglas Adams

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Lord, if I thought you were listening, I'd pray for this above all: that any church set up in your name should remain poor, and powerless, and modest. That it should wield no authority except that of love. That it should never cast anyone out. That it should own no property and make no laws. That it should not condemn, but only forgive. That it should be not like a palace with marble walls and polished floors, and guards standing at the door, but like a tree with its roots deep in the soil, that shelters every kind of bird and beast and gives blossom in the spring and shade in the hot sun and fruit in the season, and in time gives up its good sound wood for the carpenter; but that sheds many thousands of seeds so that new trees can grow in its place. Does the tree say to the sparrow, 'Get out, you don't belong here?' Does the tree say to the hungry man, 'This fruit is not for you?' Does the tree test the loyalty of the beasts before it allows them into the shade? ~ Philip Pullman

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

There is one very serious defect to my mind in Christ’s moral character, and that is that He believed in hell. I do not myself feel that any person who is really profoundly humane can believe in everlasting punishment. Christ certainly as depicted in the Gospels did believe in everlasting punishment, and one does find repeatedly a vindictive fury against those people who would not listen to His preaching—an attitude which is not uncommon with preachers, but which does somewhat detract from superlative excellence. You do not, for instance, find that attitude in Socrates. You find him quite bland and urbane towards the people who would not listen to him; and it is, to my mind, far more worthy of a sage to take that line than to take the line of indignation. You probably all remember the sort of things that Socrates was saying when he was dying, and the sort of things that he generally did say to people who did not agree with him.

You will find that in the Gospels Christ said: ‘Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?’ That was said to people who did not like His preaching. It is not really to my mind quite the best tone, and there are a great many of these things about hell. There is, of course, the familiar text about the sin against the Holy Ghost: ‘Whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven him neither in this world nor in the world of come.’ That text has caused an unspeakable amount of misery in the world, for all sorts of people have imagined that they have committed the sin against the Holy Ghost, and thought that it would not be forgiven them either in this world or in the world to come. I really do not think that a person with a proper degree of kindliness in his nature would have put fears and terrors of that sort into the world.

Then Christ says: ‘The Son of Man shall send forth His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity, and shall cast them into a furnace of fire; there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth’; and He goes on about the wailing and gnashing of teeth. It comes in one verse after another, and it is quite manifest to the reader that there is a certain pleasure in contemplating wailing and gnashing of teeth, or else it would not occur so often. Then you all, of course, remember about the sheep and the goats; how at the second coming to divide the sheep and the goats He is going to say to the goats: ‘Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire.’ He continues: ‘And these shall go away into everlasting fire.’ Then He says again: ‘If thy hand offend thee, cut it off; it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched; where the worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched.’ He repeats that again and again also. I must say that I think all this doctrine, that hell-fire is a punishment for sin, is a doctrine of cruelty. It is a doctrine that put cruelty into the world and gave the world generations of cruel torture; and the Christ of the Gospels, if you could take Him as His chroniclers represent Him, would certainly have to be considered partly responsible for that.

There are other things of less importance. There is the instance of the Gadarene swine where it certainly was not very kind to the pigs to put the devils into them and make them rush down the hill to the sea. You must remember that He was omnipotent, and He could have made the devils simply go away; but He chooses to send them into the pigs. Then there is the curious story of the fig-tree, which always rather puzzled me. You remember what happened about the fig-tree. ‘He was hungry; and seeing a fig-tree afar off having leaves, He came if haply He might find anything thereon; and when He came to it He found nothing but leaves, for the time of figs was not yet. And Jesus answered and said unto it: “No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever,” . . . and Peter . . . saith unto Him: “Master, behold the fig-tree which thou cursedst is withered away”.’ This is a very curious story, because it was not the right time of year for figs, and you really could not blame the tree. I cannot myself feel that either in the matter of wisdom or in the matter of virtue Christ stands quite as high as some other people known to history. I think I should put Buddha and Socrates above Him in those respects.
    ~ Bertrand Russell, Why I Am Not a Christian

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.
    – Jordan Belfort

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"You CAN do it!"

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Important for myself to note down^^^^

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

You are not accidental. The world needs you. Without you, something will be missing in existence and nobody can replace it.
    — Osho

*********** 21-04-19:

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

I began to understand that suffering and disappointments and melancholy are not there to vex us or cheapen us or deprive us of our dignity but to mature and transfigure us.
    — Hermann Hesse

*********** 21-04-19:

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Pain doesn’t just show up in our lives for no reason. It’s a sign that something in our life needs to change.
    — Mandy Hale

*********** 21-04-19:

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like voltaire but that quote is obviously wrong. I can't talk shit about black people, does that mean they are in power?

Some real Voltaire:

• My lodging is filled with lizards and rats;
      But the architect exists, and anyone who denies it
      Is touched with madness under the guise of wisdom.
      Consult Zoroaster, and Minos, and Solon,
      And the martyr Socrates, and the great Cicero:
      They all adored a master, a judge, a father.
      This sublime system is necessary to man.
      It is the sacred tie that binds society,
      The first foundation of holy equity,
      The bridle to the wicked, the hope of the just.

If the heavens, stripped of his noble imprint,
      Could ever cease to attest to his being,
      If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.
      Let the wise man announce him and kings fear him.
      Kings, if you oppress me, if your eminencies disdain
      The tears of the innocent that you cause to flow,
      My avenger is in the heavens: learn to tremble.

And my sig. Voltaire only asked one thing of God. To make his enemies ridiculous and God granted it.
    "And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it, and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it, and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Henry Ford

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."-- Michael Jordan

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love that line, "i think it is unbelievable how you have given into the hands of fate" Like how dare you. Fight that motherfucker. Make your own fate.

We're not indestructible,
    Baby better get that straight
    I think it's unbelievable
    How you give into the hands of fate

Some things are worth fighting for
    some Feelings never die
    I'm not askin' for another chance
    I just want to know why

There's no easy way out there's no shortcut home

Before the Ali-Foreman fight nobody gave Ali a chance. Ali said this before the fight:

"You told everybody I don’t have a chance. You told ’em I don’t have nothing but a prayer. Chump, all I need is a prayer because if that prayer reaches the right man, not only will George Foreman fall, mountains will fall!”

and george foreman did fall. Just give Ali one chance to do the impossible. That is all he needs.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Suffering does not always make you wiser or stronger. If you don’t learn your lessons and make the effort – more suffering and a new hell awaits you. Suffering is a pointed question – asking you, ‘Can you evolve?’

— Bryant McGill

*********** 21-04-19:

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.

— Steve Maraboli

*********** 21-04-19:

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"I cannot understand why the world is arranged as it is."

Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    "I cannot understand why the world is arranged as it is."

Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov
    That sounds like the combination of intuition with introverted thinking.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Deserve it, then.
    Take the cold bath bravely.
    Enjoy what is and not pine for what is not.

Take yourself in hand and master yourself.
    Make yourself do unpleasant things, so as to gain the upper hand of your soul.

Be honest, frank and fearless and get some grasp of the real values of life.
    —W.E.B. Du Bois, from a letter to Yolande Du Bois written c. October 1914

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

What matters is not to allow my whole life to be dominated by what is going on inside me. That has to be kept subordinate one way or another. What I mean is: one must not let oneself be completely disabled by just one thing, however bad; don’t let it impede the great stream of life that flows through you. I have the feeling of something secret deep inside me that no one knows about.
    —Etty Hillesum, fom a diary entry featured in An Interrupted Life: the Diaries, 1941-1943 and Letters from Westerbork

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast