Thread: The spectrum of the Base Function

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The spectrum of the Base Function

An idea I have that comes from something I read in the socionic literature that talks about the ego block being held in such low regard in others because it is so "normal" in oneself, so normal it is not even worth mentioning, it just "is".

I am curious though, as a self typed EIE, do you perhaps find the video annoying because as a leading extroverted feeler, you find emotional expression so ubiquitous with who you are and how you behave as a person, that discussion on the topic is deemed unnecessary by you, not even worth mentioning?

I find this with most IE in the base function, people behave blase towards their particular egoic information element: sitting somewhere on a spectrum from flaunting it outright, to ignoring it altogether.

Why do we go from feeling superior, even contemptfull of a person's use of our IE base function, to an ease of communication, a relaxed spontaneous expression where our base function is easily explained and the chance to do so is welcomed? What elicits this change within us?

Last edited by wacey; 07-26-2014 at 06:16 PM.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't really know. But I do know that it really bothers me when someone starts talking in some deep, esoteric Ni language. Mainly because it's like they are showing off their ability to find the meaning behind something when it's apparent to me all of the time. I thought this was more or less related to the Hidden Agenda. Most Ni doms (except for insecure ones) aren't going to talk in a cryptic or overly abstract fashion because it seems so over dramatic and obfuscating. However I don't think this is uncommon for someone with Ni hidden agenda or maybe even Ni role. I also have seen this first hand with insecure Ni doms who are trying to show everyone how mystical and insightful they are. I want to just slap them across the face.

That's how I relate to what you are talking about. I just don't like people trying to take credit for having a talent that I also have but don't feel the need to show off. I imagine that's how other types feel who find themselves in the same situation as me.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It might be a cultural or age difference in my case. It's easy for me to write off certain people from a distance as being different from me because they play up the quirky image, when there might actually be a lot of similarities between us, or at least an ease in communication. Alpha Ne seems different.
    Last edited by suedehead; 07-26-2014 at 09:05 PM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about "low regard". It's true that it just "is" for me. I have an LSE colleague who is oblivious of how strong his Te is, and is astonished at it being pointed out, but not in disagreement of the observation. It's like, 'I know I'm good at this stuff, but you're right, I guess it is pretty special'. And I'm like that too, when he compliments some of my distillations of a complex situation into the essentials, and what that means for subsequent decision-making - I'm like, er, yeah I guess it is pretty cool, it just doesn't feel that way to me. Maybe it was more a big deal when I was younger, when I'm still forming my identity in terms of how I'm different from others. But now, it's just 'there'.

On other people: maybe it's because I'm Ti, so my feelings about people using my ego block is more about "appropriate" level, than using it per se. So I'm ambivalent about others' use of Ti/Ne, as long as they don't over-represent it as being better than it is. My dual pitches it excellently, so that's a relaxed interaction for me. SEIs are good too.

ESIs tend to use it to rationalise something they already decided with their ego block, which irks me, but I nearly get it. It's quite flattering that they resort to my ego block to justify themselves.

SEEs tend to just use it just wrong. It's just... wrong. Please, stop. Just... stop. We get along way better if you just... don't. [this is the kind of use that generates contempt, as my instinctive reaction].