Thread: Question for multilinguals: What language do you think it?

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Question for multilinguals: What is your brain's language?

For those who speak two or more languages interchangeably (e.g., Spanish at home, English at work) — or who grew up speaking one tongue and later started speaking another as their primary language — what language do you think in?
    Last edited by Park; 08-16-2022 at 01:18 PM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a good question. I don't necessarily think in words, I use both movie like thinking (visual) and inner-Dialogue. I do visual-think in creative writing like poetry to translate the incoming images and ideas into words, (the exaggeration of the description is where lies the poetry), when I try to understand something or in anticipation of future actions.
    When I simulate a dialogue it depends on my imaginary interlocutor's tongue. When I don't simulate a dialogue i.e. if I'm about to say or write something without any creative intention, I obviously think in the language that I'm about to speak or write. It's almost in real time, like I'm doing right now as I'm typing this text.

Now, I have three major languages in which I'm fluent and a few others in which I'm meh. The native tongue will almost always have the upper hand in general but in my case it's a bit less obvious. I would say nonetheless that French (my Native tongue) is my main.
    I kinda studied stuff like linguistics, root words and syntaxes etc..on my own. That kind of stuff interested me. I also have a very good ear (not perfect pitch but a good relative one) so reproducing the mouth sounds is not difficult for me. I also studied stuff like this.
    Last edited by godslave; 08-15-2022 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Put a sentence in the right order !

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proto-Adamic

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I think in words, the second one, which is english.
    It's a matter that I have to think in words to write but not to talk.
    Talking can be extracted more easily from the abstract mess my thoughts are, I still need to think it into words but I don't have to do it each time as for writing.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I do not quite fit in that definition. However my vocabulary has blindspots in all the languages I have used because the terminology I have used for just intrapersonal communication is not that important or it is autoselected in case I need it. I think this is universal. For instance the subject I studied at uni seriously lacks material written in depth in my mother tongue.
    Last edited by The Reality Denialist; 08-15-2022 at 05:03 PM.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org