Thread: Liking Art by Bad People / Liking Bad Art...

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Liking Art by Bad People / Liking Bad Art...

This is quite a big issue for me that I often think about and indeed may well have posted about before.

There are instances where something is very, very wrong and I feel somewhat bad about liking and yet at the same time, it is an occasional indulgence (a bit like sad songs I love but cannot ultimately consider first rate due to their nature...although not fully like that, because I feel no real guilt in such cases).

There are also instances where the creator of the "artform" is despicable in some way, and yet clearly not enough for me to distance myself from the art entirely (sometimes that can happen from simply not wanting to know any further, or because history makes details sketchy, or perhaps there are mitigating circumstances).

An example of something I should not like:
    (this is absolutely vulgar, and could be considered extremely misogynistic,
    so perhaps should not be watched
    ):

It may be hard to try and persuade someone that this should be taken in the wider context of the whole film, and of Pete and Dud's earlier broadcastable material...how do you tell someone that you find this "sort of thing" amusing without them getting the wrong impression entirely? ...which would not necessarily be a wrong impression!

...this is the sort of "banter" that often goes on between people...privately (I've done it myself...)

These two weren't always good to their wives either, although I can't remember the details...

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like any of H!tler's art.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Cool. Are you Himmler?
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Picasso is said to have been very cruel (among others I know stories about his not sparing his ex for something she had done and planning a very methodical revenge). But I like his art. .

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I like some of Charles Manson's art and have a painting that someone did for me based on one of his paintings. My friends painting is way better and doesn't feel as chaotic. I never did hang it though since it doesn't really fit my decor. It is laid flat under my bed. They added some sparkle to it which made it more appealing to me. When you hold it up to the sunlight it takes on totally different dimensions. I wouldn't really know how to display it properly if I wanted to hang it.

Supposedly this is Manson's work.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I do.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But above all I like art that was sort of a byproduct of ******'s. Das Denkmal fuer die Ermorderten Juden is one of the most thrilling places in the world.