View Poll Results: Could you go to a sauna with respectful people abiding to the code of conduct explained below?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only with my SO or others who aren't sexually oriented towards me

0 0%
  • Yes, but I'd need a towel to cover up critical parts

0 0%
  • I'm not ashamed going butt-naked with the right people

2 50.00%
  • Nope

0 0%
  • Hardly, but I can imagine some cases

0 0%
  • I will explain my stance in a post

2 50.00%

Thread: Sauna culture [Slightly NSFW]

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sauna culture [Slightly NSFW]

Many cultures around the world have something similar to saunas, but the original word at least originates from the Finnish language and most Finns have an access to a sauna. Even the Parliament House has one. The finnish sauna culture is also, of course, the most familiar sauna culture to me so I will take that perspective.

Sauna is basically a structure that is heated with a special oven called "kiuas". The air temperature will be around 80 to 110 Celsius (176 to 230 Fahrenheit) and the heat can feel hotter when water is thrown from a bucket on to the stones on top of the kiuas which causes steam to rise. This is called throwing "löyly" which meant "spirit" or "breath". The modern word for "breath" is also synonymous to the words "spirit" and "life". People who go to sauna undress, wash themselves and then enter the room and after they are done they wash themselves again. The attendants also take showers in between to cool themself of.

Apart from towels sometimes used, people will be completely naked, even among strangers in public saunas. Wearing clothes during a sauna session is a taboo though wrapping yourself in a towel is fairly accepted, especially as a concession to foreigners who might feel insecure about nudity. This sometimes leads to a separation between genders taking turns or families taking turns. But even in mixed saunas, sexual behavior, even verbal, is a taboo. Making sexual comments can feel similar to hinting about the sexuality between siblings or making sexual puns in a church. People come there to relax and it is a holy place for many. Like typical to bathing cultures requiring full nudity, all the titles and ranks are dropped, making sauna effectively very egalitarian. Some consider swearing to be offensive, even if those same people talked like sailors any other time of the day.

Before globalization, business partners might have met in a sauna after most formal work had been taken care of. Invitation to a sauna evening was a sign of meeting going well and further cooperation could be expected. It's similar to American business partners going for a lunch.

Saunas were the first building to be built when moving to new location in ancient Finland even the Finnish companies on UN Peace Missions first build a sauna, even if they are in Africa. Sauna allowed people to have a building that they can heat, dry clothes, prepare food in and is a fairly sanitized place for giving birth. I still know some people who have been born in a sauna. Sauna has been also used for healing. Massages, chiropractice and preventing as well as treating cold have been practiced and are still practiced. There's a proverb that goes: "If sauna, booze or tar won't help, the affliction will kill you".

Many Finnish saunas are nearby a lake so that people could cool themself of in a lake. Finland has a lot of lakes, too. This can be also done in the winter by making a hole in the ice. It's not really dangerous because you just came from a warm place that stored your body full of heat and you can just go back there. Going to sauna in itself doesn't have significant health effects (good or bad), but in combination with winter swimming it does. It relieves pain from the back, shoulders and neck, enhances the bloodflow, might decrease depression, alleviates arthritis and fibromyalgia. The hobbyists report lowered stress and refreshening of body and mind as well as an increased cold resistance.

Sometimes a treated birch branch is used to gently repetitively tap (spank just sounds aggressive and sexual) oneself or a fellow attendant. Also drining beer is often associated and sausages can be grilled on top of the kiuas.

“I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretty good, also accurate for what I have found in the rest of europe to be sauna culture. However, it's a sub-group in the rest of europe while it seems to be more mainstream in finland.

Also, the nudity equals sex that makes people prudish is completely idiotic (as rightfully discussed in the article). The admosphere is not too conductive to sex anyway with the hot and cold treatments drastically relaxing the nerve system and fatiguing the body.

That said, sometimes its a feast for the eyes (ok ok ok...sorry..no sex in the champaignroom!!).

I loved that summer in sweden where we stayed at a place which had one of those sauna's next to a lake, jumping in the water is such an awesome feeling after being cooked alive!!! ((It's one of the few SI things my family engages in, and even this is shunned by my mom, so it's kinda a quilty pleasure for the rest of us)

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple of notes:

The first option sounds like your SO wouldn't be sexually oriented towards you. Ignore it.

I personally have access to numerous saunas around Finland and my family isn't even rich.

I remember this one time I went to the sauna with my boxers on. My mother was offended.

I saw this Australian humoristic travel show who made sexual jokes to people in a sauna. I felt really awkward and if I'd be the owner, I'd ask him to leave the premises.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reficulris View Post
    I loved that summer in sweden where we stayed at a place which had one of those sauna's next to a lake, jumping in the water is such an awesome feeling after being cooked alive!!! ((It's one of the few SI things my family engages in, and even this is shunned by my mom, so it's kinda a quilty pleasure for the rest of us)
    Shunned? Why?

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omg. that one next to the ice looks so nice. it's so humid here right now.

in general i'm terrified of saunas cuz they make me feel like... I can't breathe. I also am scared of massages.

edit: nudity seems weird b/c I feel like seeing all that sweat and humidity would increase my fear of not being able to breathe...

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i don't freak out easily about nudity. i might get self conscious if there was someone there who i was sexually attracted to but not involved with but i'm assuming saunas don't usually have harsh fluorescent lighting?

i've only been in a sauna once, when i was a kid at a hotel, and everyone wore swimsuits. i remember it being a test of will and trying to stay in it long after i was uncomfortably hot and wanting to prove i could handle it like the grownups. and then jumping into the pool.

whats the point of tapping people with a tree branch??

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Shunned? Why?
    She find most things physical distastefull. It's an unconscious, unspoken, ever permuating moral sentiment she expresses quite strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    i don't freak out easily about nudity. i might get self conscious if there was someone there who i was sexually attracted to but not involved with but i'm assuming saunas don't usually have harsh fluorescent lighting?

i've only been in a sauna once, when i was a kid at a hotel, and everyone wore swimsuits. i remember it being a test of will and trying to stay in it long after i was uncomfortably hot and wanting to prove i could handle it like the grownups. and then jumping into the pool.

No, lighting is usually relaxing/flattering (as in low levels).

The tapping is to (re)induce bloodflow, as is the hot/cold transition. Like rubbing your body when you're cold, but than..different

Edit: Also, if you meet your conflictor you can hit him in the face with the treebranch to perserve your sense of inner calm!!!

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no option for "I don't give a shit about being naked in the right environment, people be damned"

(that is, i won't streak in public, but if a situation is designed for it (nudist places or sauna's or anything) I don't have particular troubles going naked.)

Edit: Wait, i'm quite sure sex-clubs would freak me out. Maybe because i immagine them to be full of ugly old people. IF it was like Eyes wide shut i'd go

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, the nudity equals sex that makes people prudish is completely idiotic (as rightfully discussed in the article). The admosphere is not too conductive to sex anyway with the hot and cold treatments drastically relaxing the nerve system and fatiguing the body.
    To be fair, intercourse in a hot room enhances orgasms! There's a study done on it.
    That said, sometimes its a feast for the eyes (ok ok ok...sorry..no sex in the champaignroom!!).
    You know, everyone tends to take a quick glance every now and then. It's really not an issue, unless it's really obvious and intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post
    in general i'm terrified of saunas cuz they make me feel like... I can't breathe. I also am scared of massages.

edit: nudity seems weird b/c I feel like seeing all that sweat and humidity would increase my fear of not being able to breathe...
    It does seem like it makes breathing harder, but people know when to stop and it doesn't really feel like suffocation but more like unpleasant breathing of hot air. Statistics show that it is really safe, even for children. Yet I understand that statistics rarely correlate with fears.
    Massages are optional and I personally have never had one in a sauna.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't freak out easily about nudity.
    You don't say.. ahemtumblrlinksahem
    Besides what Reficulris pointed out, it gives out aromas from it and opens the pores of the skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by sevjenn View Post
    r u trying 2 make sauna sound badass?
    There are manly or country romantic sides to it, but I don't consider it badass. Macho competing in saunas seems like competing who can relax better. Besides, even children go there.
    She find most things physical distastefull. It's an unconscious, unspoken, ever permuating moral sentiment she expresses quite strongly.
    Yeah, I think I know the type. It's.. just culturally bizarre for me. But she might think the same about Finnish sauna culture.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does seem like it makes breathing harder, but people know when to stop and it doesn't really feel like suffocation but more like unpleasant breathing of hot air. Statistics show that it is really safe, even for children. Yet I understand that statistics rarely correlate with fears.
    Massages are optional and I personally have never had one in a sauna.
    Yeah that makes sense. I think it's more so that my discomfort takes away from my enjoyment of sauna, but maybe I haven't really sunk into it and given it a chance. i can imagine it being like... working through the weird suffocating sensations until you reach a new depth of physical feeling and zen.

PS- definitely, massage in sauna would be so weird! lol I think I just thought of it b/c it's another relaxing activity I am scared of...

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If saunas were sex-seggregated, as in separate houses/rooms for
    men and women, yes. This is something I would enjoy.

I am not ashamed of my body or people seeing it, I am, however,
    incredibly terrified of men and being vulnerable around them.
    Obviously not all men but for the few that give off that 'I will hurt
    you and take what I want vibe' I would not want to put myself
    in a situation where I am enabling that fear to become a reality.
    I do not even like being dressed around men who stare at me.
    I understand that saunas do not normally work in this way, that
    people are generally respectful about not staring unabashedly,
    but most people also do not stare at you in a room full of people
    and follow you around when you are clothed. I can only imagine
    what response being naked and sweaty would illicit from these
    men and women.

I have been trying to word this properly for a good half hour and
    I am still not satisfied, i just do not know what language to use
    to express my feelings on the subject of threatening men.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrangea View Post

men and women.

I totally get it and feel the same way, Hydrangea. I definitely don't have problems being naked around women but around men would feel weird.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia, Sweat Lodge
    When Finnish immigrants came to America in the 17th century, local Delaware natives called them "sweat lodge men" or "white-men-like-us" because of their habit of going to sauna. Because of that, the Finns got along with native peoples so their houses were not destroyed in the French and Indian Wars.
    Aww.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

men and women.

Oh my, really ? Have you lived in some particularly dangerous place where this was a major issue or do you just have this fear ingrained in you without prior bad experiences? Sorry for being nosy, but it sounds like it would be really stressful to live with this kind of fear on a daily basis

Speaking of saunas...would love to go, but can't due to asthma. I admit I would feel a bit awkward in an unisex one though.
    I love how relaxed northern Europeans are with their naked bodies, in Catholic countries we're a few decades behind

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ftr, i'd be afraid of stripping naked in front of 320lb just-got-out-of-jail big bubba.

i'd sure as hell stay away from the soap.

so, umm, women don't own the monopoly on fear .

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    Speaking of saunas...would love to go, but can't due to asthma.
    I googled this and apparently the local asthma association says it's even beneficial for those with the condition. Just make sure that someone else lights it up for you if it's not an electric one and consult with your doctor.

Also found this:
    According to a study published in the 1987/88 medical journal "Clinical Ecology," Dr. Jozef Krop, a pioneer in sauna therapy, cured a teenage girl of her asthma through sauna therapy. She had been through years of failed treatments from respiratory specialists that had prescribed steroids, which didn't help. "Her symptoms did not clear with environmental control, immunotherapy or anti-candida treatment," says the report. "They cleared after sauna therapy."

[...]

Researchers at the University of Munich's Institute of Medical Balneology and Climatology performed a series of tests between 1983 and 1986 to determine the effect of saunas and steam rooms on the human body. They found that steam baths can help upper respiratory problems and can improve asthma symptoms, in addition to bronchitis and coughing, by loosening mucus and phlegm and soothing sore throat.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    ftr, i'd be afraid of stripping naked in front of 320lb just-got-out-of-jail big bubba.

i'd sure as hell stay away from the soap.

so, umm, women don't own the monopoly on fear .
    yeah but did some random dude commence to try to casually stroke *your* bare thigh repeatedly on the train last week?

just sayin'

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

yeah but did some random dude commence to try to casually stroke *your* bare thigh repeatedly on the train last week?

just sayin'

Why so pervy, dudes? We want the answers...

No, I know it's not your personal fault for other guys' disregard for personal boundaries. But it can really get scary and uncomfortable for a girl (I'm not talking about saunas here)

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just sayin'
    years ago i had a sloppy-fat, grease-stained, pedophilesque man plead with me to come to a mall bathroom so he can help "clean me up" after a truck splashed dust in my eye.

it doesn't help that i have supple-smooth skin and was at my peak secretion of pubescent hormones. plus, infantile romance style yo.

seriously though, i'd probably carry mace if i was a woman

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

years ago i had a sloppy-fat, grease-stained, pedophilesque man plead with me to come to a mall bathroom so he can help "clean me up" after a truck splashed dust in my eye.

it doesn't help that i have supple-smooth skin and was at my peak secretion of pubescent hormones. plus, infantile romance style yo.

seriously though, i'd probably carry mace if i was a woman
    lol. this reminds me of a guy who told me that when he was 14 an old man at a stranded bus stop offered him a blow-job and said it would be "better than his gf's" b/c he didn't have teeth.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol. this reminds me of a guy who told me that when he was 14 an old man at a stranded bus stop offered him a blow-job and said it would be "better than his gf's" b/c he didn't have teeth.
    lol; do old men's mouths even have enough saliva for lube?

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol; do old men's mouths even have enough saliva for lube?
    Lol I wouldn't know.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I googled this and apparently the local asthma association says it's even beneficial for those with the condition. Just make sure that someone else lights it up for you if it's not an electric one and consult with your doctor.
    Oh thanks for the info! You know I never really checked medical facts, I've just kinda assumed that I will choke up in there and die a slow painful death

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I hear about these physical intrusions, the more reciprocive I want to become. With a knee. In the crotch.

If this same happened in a sauna.. I might just go beyond what's reasonable.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

men and women.

Ditto. For me, in large part, this is due to me being raised in a fairly gender-segregated culture. I couldn't fathom being naked in front of a man that isn't my SO... that is what happens in my bad dreams (naked in public).

When things are gender-segregated and I am only among other women, and if i dont know anyone, I have no hesitation about being completely in the nude. However, interestingly, I am embarrassed to get naked even in the presence of only women, if they are my friends. Family is fine though.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx