View Poll Results: ?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    19 39.58%
  • I rarely "Believe"...I prefer to Know

    13 27.08%
  • There is only Cold and Colder

    3 6.25%
  • I don't believe in the Sun

    10 20.83%
  • I Only Come Out At Night

    9 18.75%
  • No. Only Connect. Only Socionics.

    2 4.17%
  • No.

    6 12.50%
  • otter

    10 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 227

Thread: Do you Believe in Global Warming?

  1. #1
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,938
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default Do you Believe in Global Warming?

    ?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Do you mean "Do you believe in man made Climate change?". Because that would be a better question imo

  3. #3
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,702
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Man made climate change is a total lie. Global warming caused by other factors such as the Sun or the Earth is likely true IMO.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  4. #4
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,469
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes it exists.

    Next topic plz.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  5. #5
    Haikus Persephone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The country of croissants
    Posts
    1,841
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Default

    Global human warming? Not really..
    Climate warming? Yes, I cannot stand Mexican temperatures we are having right now. 30C at 9am = SOS!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Man made climate change deniers are literally worse then ******.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    809
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's happening, all right. Someone get a fan for LID, quick!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    TIM
    9w1
    Posts
    2,775
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i love the options
    unholy water sanguine addiction

  9. #9
    the flying pig Capitalist Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    5,932
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Of course man-made global warming is possible, e.g. when @Hitta farts it raises the temperature in an average-sized room by 0.778°C.

  10. #10
    boom boom boom blackburry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,269
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    wait people are still denying man made climate change...?
    strange.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    People still don't know that the African Union demands $67 milliard each year from developed countries for climate change.

    Strange..

  12. #12
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    a liberal (i.e. jewish) hoax, like vaccines and public schooling.

  13. #13
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    they need to burn the whole planet down so everyone will shut the fuck up about it.

  14. #14
    . willekeurig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This thread saddens me.



    "Politicians discussing climate change"
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

  15. #15
    A man chooses, a slave obeys MensSuperMateriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    People should know that global warming isn't a big deal, and that the world used to actually be MUCH warmer. My stepmother's brother-in-law used to work for the military who explained they have scientists digging at the South Pole for research. He said, surprisingly, buried underneath layers and layers of snow & ice, they found fossilized tropical plants. TROPICAL PLANTS. At the South Pole.

    This clearly shows that temperatures were MUCH higher in the past, and that ice at both ends of our planet didn't always exist.
    Tectonics. Antarctica wasn't ubicated at the South Pole in former geological eras.

  16. #16
    boom boom boom blackburry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,269
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ok.

    I still think brushing air and water pollution under the carpet like it's not a big deal is extremely ignorant. Global warming aside.


    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ter-scientists

  17. #17
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    People should know that global warming isn't a big deal,
    NASA disagrees...

    http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  18. #18
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,938
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    People should know that global warming isn't a big deal, and that the world used to actually be MUCH warmer. My stepmother's brother-in-law used to work for the military who explained they have scientists digging at the South Pole for research. He said, surprisingly, buried underneath layers and layers of snow & ice, they found fossilized tropical plants. TROPICAL PLANTS. At the South Pole.

    This clearly shows that temperatures were MUCH higher in the past, and that ice at both ends of our planet didn't always exist. This would also suggest water levels were once much higher, which I've always believed. Pretty much every major religion has a story of a major flood: Christians have Noah's Ark, Greeks have the Ogygian flood, etc., and scientists have also found evidence of higher water levels, finding rare seashells in mountaintops, etc.

    So you should not really listen to any politician trying to scare you about global warming. And you should definitely NOT give them any money. It's NOT a big deal.

    The following graph was used by Al Gore in An Inconvenient Truth in 2006 to try to show/scare people (likely for his own political gain --- or his own irrational fears of the situation) that temperatures are at the highest point in the past 800,000 years:

    Attachment 3756

    What people don't realize as easily is the context/timeline. This is only showing the past 1 MILLION years. The Earth is estimated, by scientists, to be 4.54 BILLION years old, with a margin of error of 50 MILLION years. So the timeline Al Gore presented of evidence of temperatures rising is less than 1/4000 the time the Earth has been in existence. And believe me, during the other 3999/4000 of the time, temperatures used to be higher than they are now.

    It's like a 70-year old grandmother getting one zit on her back and freaking out that she'll return to her acne-laden teenage years with zits all over her. It's disgusting, irrational, pointless to talk about, stupid, and a waste of time to try to convince other people that it's a big deal.
    This ignores the fact that we are not in an ice age because of the actions of humans, and that if we were not in a naturally occurring ice age, the problems we are going to suffer as a result of enhanced global warming would be much, much worse. The carbon dioxide that is being released by humans is from ancient reserves and is not yet cheaply and quickly recoverable...i.e. we are severely compounding on the problem.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  19. #19
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    gais wut f evrytim da temprture goez up n dat chart iz bcauz humanz keep cumming bak n smoking up all da coal n shit da earf haz wut makes da temprture go wai da fuk up n dat killz dem until next tim da earf haz grown enuf coal n shit fo dem 2 cum bak???

  20. #20
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,938
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    there's a huge difference between believing "in the government" and believing in NASA...

    Wouldn't you say that the US government actually has a history of running contrary to what has been established by climate scientists?
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  21. #21
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Of course they disagree, they're a part of the government. Are you one of the people who believes in the government with 100% faith that they have our best interests at heart and never lie to us?
    How about the United Nations?, The African Climate Policy Centre. The European Union, The World Bank (Just to name a few)? One big global conspiracy because...?
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  22. #22
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Who funds NASA? How does the money flow?



    There are mountains of evidence that global warming doesn't exist. But I suppose people will look for what they want to see and believe what they want.

    Over 30,000 scientists agree with me.
    This is hardly evidence.
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  23. #23
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  24. #24
    boom boom boom blackburry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,269
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    William, I bet you are also anti-vaccination.

    (Which is a huge reason there's now a rise in whooping cough and measles... And polio).

  25. #25
    Chains's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,308
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    It makes sense on a theoretical level that releasing large amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere in such a short amount of time would increase the earth's average surface temperature. The data appears to support the notion that the temperature is increasing and is correlated with increased levels of CO2 being emitted into the atmosphere. This is mostly coming from human activity. Unfortunately, it is the end of good science when political parties become involved and only agree with data that supports its political preferences. When we have a hotter than average summer, the liberals shout "Global warming!" and when we have a colder than average winter, the conservatives shout "So much for global warming!"

  26. #26
    boom boom boom blackburry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,269
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    was just about to post this.

  27. #27
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,938
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Apparently this petition has such scientists as Perry S. Mason, Michael J. Fox, John C. Grisham, and Dr. Geri Halliwell
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  28. #28
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am no expert on this and can only cite others, but here are some opposing viewpoints to consider. I am not trying to win a debate, just trying to point out that it might be a bit more complicated than you suggest, @William

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    From 1940-1975, the Earth was cooling. Scientists in the early 1970s were very concerned about global cooling.
    I guess aerosol has been suggested as a possible cause. I don't know how reliable this is. NASA has suggested this, too, but that will not convince you. Aerosol use may even offset global warming until it is outlawed entirely, apparently.

    From 1975-1997, the Earth was getting warmer.
    From 1997-Present, temperature increases have leveled off and have been statistically insignificant. But because we are near the 'top' of the curve, the evidence people point to about the past 13 years of past 17 blah blah blah have been the warmest on record since 1880, is actually true.
    Apparently, temperatures have not leveled off, according to some.


    My understanding is overall we are on an upward, warming trend, dating back to the Holocene period 11,700 years ago.

    The beginning of the Holocene period was the LOWEST the temperatures had been in the past 100,000 years.

    Even the best evidence provided by those believing in global warming shows that temperatures have escalated to a high-point every 100,000 years, even before modern industrialization/pollution has taken place.

    Looking at the past 800,000 years, out of 7 of the 8 times the temperatures have reached a peak high-point, in the next 30,000 years following the peak, the temperature has dropped drastically by at least 5 degrees Celsius.

    Long story short: Do I believe man has contributed to a global increase in temperatures? Possibly. I think it would be irresponsible to refuse any of the blame, and there are certainly things within our power we can do to make the environment better. However, global warming and cooling has been occurring for not just THOUSANDS of years, not just MILLIONS of years, but BILLIONS of years. Therefore, it's not a big deal.
    This makes no sense. Global warming, regardless of how it was caused, has a profound influence and not a a good one. If, as you say, we have a possible hand in it and that there are things we can do to influence it, then how can you say it is not a big deal?


    P.S. Al Gore predicted that the Arctic ice caps would be completely melted by 2012, when they've actually increased in size by 50% since 2012. Lololololol @ Al Gore.
    Climate scientists did say that this estimate was aggressive, but adjusted the number to 2022-30. Antarctic sea ice is getting thicker, land ice is diminishing. The melting land ice makes the ocean levels rise, not the sea ice.

    You know, like I said, I am not an expert on this, but reading a few sources with no regard for how they reached their conclusions is not going to put you in a good position for a debate. You have your information from biased conservative sources and it might be a good idea to dig a little deeper. At least acknowledge your sources.

    And lololol and condescension is just bad form and overall annoying.
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  29. #29
    Pookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Posts
    2,129
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    D'uh we're making it hotter. All that can be argued is how big of a deal that is in the long run.
    I would say that ethically you are still supposed to act as if you have unilateral responsibility; but simultaneously you have to be able to see the other as a fully autonomous, free, aware person.

    Medicalizing social problems has the additional benefit of rendering society not responsible for those social ills. If it’s a disease, it’s nobody’s fault. Yay empiricism.

  30. #30
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,893
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Earth has a high turnover rate when it comes to species. It just takes time. Extinction and new creation in a repeated cycle. It will happen with or without us. Earth is a self-balancing entity.

    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate"

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  31. #31
    the flying pig Capitalist Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    5,932
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    There are mountains of evidence that global warming doesn't exist. But I suppose people will look for what they want to see and believe what they want.

    Over 30,000 scientists agree with me.
    You must not have read this report. Specifically Section 2.4 Attribution of climate change, which states (emphasis original):

    Most of the observed increase in global average temperatures since the mid-20th century is very likely due to the observed increase in anthropogenic GHG concentrations.

    Then there's also the findings by a panel convened in 2010 as part of the America's Climate Change project by the National Research Council published here in Advancing the Science of Climate Change. It says,

    ... there is a strong, credible body of evidence, based on multiple lines of research, documenting that climate is changing and that these changes are in large part caused by human activities. While much remains to be learned, the core phenomenon, scientific questions, and hypotheses have been examined thoroughly and have stood firm in the face of serious scientific debate and careful evaluation of alternative explanations. (p1)

    Some scientific conclusions or theories have been so thoroughly examined and tested, and supported by so many independent observations and results, that their likelihood of subsequently being found to be wrong is vanishingly small. Such conclusions and theories are then regarded as settled facts. This is the case for the conclusions that the Earth system is warming and that much of this warming is very likely due to human activities. (p21,22)

    It looks like you're on the wrong side of science on this one.

  32. #32

  33. #33
    A man chooses, a slave obeys MensSuperMateriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    William, I bet you are also anti-vaccination.

    (Which is a huge reason there's now a rise in whooping cough and measles... And polio).
    It is very difficult not to feel that anti-vaccination people should be left to the consequences of their actions. Darwinian principles would act over them for the betterment of mankind...

    What a pity other people would suffer because of their bad decisions; that's what will happen, as you are poiniting out.
    Last edited by MensSuperMateriam; 06-15-2014 at 01:14 PM.

  34. #34
    . willekeurig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I suggest @William sticks to posting smiling emoticons from now on. It's what he does best.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

  35. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agarina View Post
    I suggest @William sticks to posting smiling emoticons from now on. It's what he does best.
    Bwahahahhahahaahaha,

  36. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default





    Hkkmr administration.

  37. #37
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MensSuperMateriam View Post
    It is very difficult not to feel that anti-vaccination people should be left to the consequences of their actions. Darwinian principles would act over them for the betterment of mankind...

    What a pity other people would suffer because of their bad decisions; that's what will happen, as you are poiniting out.
    The problem is that in many cases, the kids of those anti-vaccination people are the ones who suffer.
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    TIM
    9w1
    Posts
    2,775
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    how can you pick sides and mention random studies so effortlessly? why are you so quick to put studies on a pedestral? you know how many things can get altered till they reach us, or are presented in a certain way, on purpose. how independent are independent studies?
    in many cases ,vaccinating toddlers can't be avoided and i guess that it's easier to live with oneself by believing that everything is ok. then again it is said that we are undergoing a collective mutation little by little, which will strengthen the human organism in some aspects(and unstrengthen in others?) but stuff will be going on ,on the way there. climate change is very good for money laundering, interest pushing and misinformation.

    maybe the will to pick a side and the eventual choice is a matter of perspective, priorities and horizons. you just decide to build upon the most commonly accepted basis,which definitely has its advantages,till it doesnt. oh you "serious", level-headed people.
    Last edited by kalinoche; 06-15-2014 at 03:43 PM.
    unholy water sanguine addiction

  39. #39
    the flying pig Capitalist Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    5,932
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sevjenn View Post
    how can you pick sides and mention random studies so effortlessly? why are you so quick to put studies on a pedestral? you know how many things can get altered till they reach us, or are presented in a certain way, on purpose. how independent are independent studies?
    in many cases ,vaccinating toddlers can't be avoided and i guess that it's easier to live with oneself by believing that everything is ok. then again it is said that we are undergoing a collective mutation little by little, which will strengthen the human organism in some aspects(and unstrengthen in others?) but stuff will be going on ,on the way there. climate change is very good for money laundering, interest pushing and misinformation.

    maybe the will to pick a side and the eventual choice is a matter of perspective, priorities and horizons. you just decide to build upon the most commonly accepted basis,which definitely has its advantages,till it doesnt. oh you "serious", level-headed people.
    cuz science

  40. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default


Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •