Thread: Is psychiatry real or bs?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Is psychiatry real or bs?

The reason I ask this question is because I've pretty much diagnosed every single family member and close friend with at least one psychological disorder (including myself - I'm aware of my strengths and flaws). I'm not going to share what they are because it's personal of course.

Also, the reason I've noticed this only among people close in my life is because you have to spend a lot of time with someone to realize their strengths and flaws and you won't figure it out easily with a stranger unless you're forced to spend a lot of time with them as well. Also, after spending a long period of time with certain co-workers, I've discovered what their psychological disorder was as well.

So the question I ask: Are me, my family members, close friends, certain co-workers all psychologically disordered and an exception to the "normal person" or does every single person in the planet have at least one psychological disorder and psychiatrists are just propagating the false idea that you have a "disorder" so they can cure it for you with a pill?

The alternative to this possibility is that only a minority of people are raised properly and thus a majority of people will likely end up with at least one psychological disorder as a result. This is a puzzle that's been bugging me for quite a while and I feel this is the perfect place to ask for some rational discussion on this matter.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

some psychological conditions can be seen in brain scans, right? that's something. otherwise i think they are labels for clusters of symptoms that don't necessarily mean anything beyond clusters of symptoms that tend to occur together and can be called something and therefore addressed with drugs or therapy. but i'm not at all qualified to answer this question, really.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's mainly rhetoric. you call someone disordered when your intent is to induce them to change.

as such a rhetorical tool it is quite real and has its uses. it can even be used to manipulate oneself, though i do not advise it.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Don't listen to him. He's off his meds.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mostly b.s.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zap View Post
    ppl are as they are & there's nothing wrong with that.
    Well to be fair, sometimes there is something totally wrong with that.

I think the variable that matters is the intensity of the disorder. No one is raised perfectly in a way that would allow them to not have problems. Everyone has problems. But the degree to which those manifest and effect your(or others) life for the worse is what matters when consider the veracity of "psychological disorders" as an idea.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

External environment plays so much a part of our mood. I'm a lot happier when I feel accepted by others and genuinely supported. The strongest individuals always have a wide network of support.

Mainstream society doesn't really have the values of basic emotional support for one another, and that's kind of the problem. It assumes everybody else will either be somebody you have to compete with , or somebody you hate/will clash terribly with. The key to personal happiness is a mixture of 'doing it on your own' pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, and feeling loved, encouraged, supported and cherished by other people. Life will always be naturally difficult, it would be boring if it wasn't but with a little bit of love it's always manageable.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I think there's a huge difference between personality disorders and (often genetic) mental illnesses - like schizophrenia, great depression, bipolar disorder,.... In the last case, yes, they totally should be treated when severe (if someone manages to deal with it without meds and with other methods, then more power to him) and thank god for medication and pharmaceutical industry- they save lives in severe cases. Only people who experienced what disastrous consequences a serious mental illness can have on a person and his loved ones or has it himself, should talk.

But when it comes to personality disorders, things get blurry. It seems like everybody is disordered to some way and it's hard to draw the line - it's extremely subjective. I think as long as you're functioning normally and you're not seriously hurting people around you, then you don't need excessive medications.

So no, I definitely don't think psychiatry is bs, but prescribing drugs for every little pop disorder, that was made up two months ago by some pharma lobby is definitelly bs. I'm horrified when I hear what goes down concerning drugs in the US.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think as long as you're functioning normally and you're not seriously hurting people around you, then you don't need excessive medications.
    What exactly is "functioning normally." Society values and trends change so much, what is acceptable today won't be acceptable tomorrow (and vice-versa) which is why for a lot of people it's stupid to even try. The DSM isn't about what's actually unhealthy or healthy, it's about social control. You can't trust it. And taking a pill cannot force somebody to behave in ways other people find 'acceptable.' There will be so many quirks later down the road that everybody shunned that we now accept.

Behaving normally I take it from American standards is going to a job you don't like for eight hours, then spending time in a family unit with a few people that you are told you need to hang around to prove to others that you are 'normal'. But this is just a type of prison in many ways and an enlightened person is going to break through this veil. Obviously celebrities travel the world often and have broke through out of this suburban matrix hell programme. That is why they are really happy and why the middle class secretly loathes them for it.

Face it: We all become terrorized into following a script. But whom is writing the script, the ultimate puppet string puller? The leaders of the illuminati of course, the ones who created Psychiatry to begin with. Of course they themselves know it's bullshit and are laughing all the way to the bank while they explore wonderful and exotic lands narcissistically while we rot in a prison of our own minds. WAKE UP. WAKE UP. WAKE UP.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truck View Post

What exactly is "functioning normally." Society values and trends change so much, what is acceptable today won't be acceptable tomorrow (and vice-versa) which is why for a lot of people it's stupid to even try. The DSM isn't about what's actually unhealthy or healthy, it's about social control. You can't trust it. And taking a pill cannot force somebody to behave in ways other people find 'acceptable.' There will be so many quirks later down the road that everybody shunned that we now accept.

Behaving normally I take it from American standards is going to a job you don't like for eight hours, then spending time in a family unit with a few people that you are told you need to hang around to prove to others that you are 'normal'. But this is just a type of prison in many ways and an enlightened person is going to break through this veil. Obviously celebrities travel the world often and have broke through out of this suburban matrix hell programme. That is why they are really happy and why the middle class secretly loathes them for it.

As long as you can function normally by your own standards (as long as it's not destroying you emotionally or prevents you from living the life you would like to live). I don't give a shit what society says. But in case you're for example schizofrenic and are planning to light up your appartment because you think your family members are spies from outer space, then maybe just maybe other people (family, neighbours who could be set on fire every day now) also have a say in the matter of your mental health.

That is what I had in mind, not psychiatrists stuffing pills down your throat if you would rather quirkilly party with other eccentrics than go to job every day.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Face it: We all become terrorized into following a script. But whom is writing the script, the ultimate puppet string puller? The leaders of the illuminati of course, the ones who created Psychiatry to begin with. Of course they themselves know it's bullshit and are laughing all the way to the bank while they explore wonderful and exotic lands narcissistically while we rot in a prison of our own minds. WAKE UP. WAKE UP. WAKE UP.

I assume psychiatry is an especially touchy subject for you ?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I just don't like somebody trying to gaslight me and others I care about on a grand scale, don't be so uppity.

as zap would say, time to show the world what BULLSHIT psychiatry really is.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I just don't like somebody trying to gaslight me and others I care about on a grand scale, don't be so uppity.

as zap would say, time to show the world what BULLSHIT psychiatry really is.
    Sorry, couldn't help myself. I really don't like somebody putting words in my mouth and twisting what I said, playing dumb that they didn't get my point and childishly seeing things in black and white only. And I have a distaste for irrational pompous paranoid rhetorics

Psychiatry is actually a touchy subject for me as well cause my dad is bipolar and I have witnessed severe paranoid mania up close and personal as a child and it was not pretty. He's on his meds now for many years and has been totally stable, healthy and happy since. When he was manic he was hiding in our basement crying because he thought my mom and I (I was 10yo) had a chip put in us by the government and that his only solution was to built himself a bunker in the woods to save himself from us.

I'm totally aware that many of you have suffered similar or much worse things yourself, I just saw what medication did for my dad (he would agree with me right now), for his quality of life and our family and I get really pissed when some smart-ass (not you truck, someone who never had any experience with mental illness in his life) starts lecturing me how mental illnesses are bs and mental patients should all just go take a long walk or hug a tree or smthng and they will be magically cured. I mean, look, if these kind of things help people I'm really happy for them, but in that case things just weren't as severe. People commit suicides over mental issues and people still advise them not to take medication

And yes, I'm aware that the standard of "normality" is a form of social control and I hope we never get back to the ages when mental patients or even gays were being locked up.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I really don't like somebody putting words in my mouth and twisting what I said, playing dumb that they didn't get my point and childishly seeing things in black and white only.

Sometimes, morality is black and white and there actually IS a clear right or wrong. I know I'm being 'sensitive' but I am sick and goddamn tired of murderers, gaslighters, and bullies being coddled for the sake of diplomacy and 'seeing the other side.'

And okay so you were projecting on the 'touchy subject' thing. It was a really bitchy comment because obviously, psychiatry is a touchy subject for a lot of people. I forgive you but our sensitivities to it don't matter so much, you know they are just rather irrelevant. The main point is society being mind controlled on a mass scale. we could all share personal stories of how the industry fucked us over but I'm not sure where that would get us.
    Last edited by Hot Scalding Gayser; 06-11-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just goes to show how many"sane" people are posting on this forum. Get professional help. KEK.
    Last edited by Absurd; 06-11-2014 at 12:14 PM.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Sometimes, morality is black and white and there actually IS a clear right or wrong. I know I'm being 'sensitive' but I am sick and goddamn tired of murderers, gaslighters, and bullies being coddled for the sake of diplomacy and 'seeing the other side.'

And okay so you were projecting on the 'touchy subject' thing. It was a really bitchy comment because obviously, psychiatry is a touchy subject for a lot of people. I forgive you but our sensitivities to it don't matter so much, you know they are just rather irrelevant. The main point is society being mind controlled on a mass scale. we could all share personal stories of how the industry fucked us over but I'm not sure where that would get us.
    What can I say, I'm an insensitive bitch . I don't think we will get on the same page regarding this topic, so it's better to leave it. I wish you all the best in life.

And not to offend (hehe an offense always comes after this one ) people who are unwell always think everybody else is after them and they are the normal ones (just the cold truth).

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Just goes to show how many"sane" people are posting on this forum. Get professional help. KEK.
    Are you sure you're the one to talk?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    Are you sure you're the one to talk?
    I'm not a shrink if you're asking for one right now. But as far as I am concerned murderous gay people with what is labelled schizophrenia, can turn to a circus performer.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psychiatry is used for the wrong things.

It should be used for depression, excessive risk taking, inattentiveness. Instead the preference of the medical profession is to apply drugs instead of using psychiatry to provide solutions.

It should also only be used in clear cut cases, most cases of ADHD I've heard of could be rsolved with more robust parenting.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'm not a shrink if you're asking for one right now.
    Maybe you should think about a career change. I've heard the crazier you are the better shrink you make.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe you should think about a career change. I've heard the crazier you are the better shrink you make.
    Maybe you're barking up the wrong tree, you puss puss. I've heard that Te-PoLRs provide the best evidence to support their claims.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you had to choose, what type would you want as your psychiatrist?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

An IEI. They don't know what they're talking about.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Martrix View Post
    If you had to choose, what type would you want as your psychiatrist?
    Hehe, i've actually seriously considered to become a psychiatrist in highschool, so what does it say about me

Hm, idk, maybe IEE...You?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehe, i've actually seriously considered to become a psychiatrist in highschool, so what does it say about me

Hm, idk, maybe IEE...You?
    Well, I considered becoming a lawyer at a similar age. What does that say about me?
    I want ILE. Ten seconds with one and I'd declare myself sane. They're great.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Well, I considered becoming a lawyer at a similar age. What does that say about me?
    I want ILE. Ten seconds with one and I'd declare myself sane. They're great.
    Actually this forum is my shrink. Five minutes on here and I feel saner than ever ♥

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually this forum is my shrink. Five minutes on here and I feel saner than ever ♥
    I know what you mean!

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I know what you mean!

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

It's supposed to study the human mind but it has very little license over to actually do it as opposed to nurologists and psychiatrists. But yeah it's real. Sometimes people come to understand and deal with their emotions through talk and maybe that support helps clear the weeds out of the person's mind. There's no telling what works for people. I like Goodwill Hunting, the movie that shows the role of the psychologist.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 06-11-2014 at 07:00 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

What can I say, I'm an insensitive bitch . I don't think we will get on the same page regarding this topic, so it's better to leave it. I wish you all the best in life.

And not to offend (hehe an offense always comes after this one ) people who are unwell always think everybody else is after them and they are the normal ones (just the cold truth).
    How noble of him to forgive you, you insensitive bitch. Psychiatry and therapy saved my life and I am grateful for the amazing people in the profession who know what they are doing. I have been in therapy since childhood and I am legally sane. But I can be a crazy insensitive bitch when men form misogynist clubs and only invite the hatiest male haters. Then cry about their feelings being hurt.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oohh, bit of Fe. Don't mind if I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    It's supposed to study the human mind but it has very little license over to avtually do it as opposed to nuroklogists and psychiatrists. But yeah it's real. Sometimesbpeople come to understand and deal with their emotions through talk and maybe that support helps clear the weeds out of the person's mind. There's no telling what works for people. I like Goodwill Hunting, the movie that shows the role of the psychologist.
    What a great script that film had.
    Time's up.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

An IEI. They don't know what they're talking about.
    But, but you cured me by PM and now all I have to do is think of you and I feel fine, so I canceled all future therapy. I am cured @ the misogynist club

Did you get the money in the mail, for your services, yet? I guess I could just reach over this table we are having a drink (on the beach) on and hand you the money. Cause we are in Califloridia together. Hold me, I want to coddle you.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

That and music, lots of music. <3

YWIMW

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    But, but you cured me by PM and now all I have to do is think of you and I feel fine, so I canceled all future therapy. I am cured @ the misogynist club

Did you get the money in the mail, for your services, yet? I guess I could just reach over this table we are having a drink (on the beach) on and hand you the money. Cause we are in Califloridia together. Hold me, I want to coddle you.

Talking to someone more insane than yourself is always reassuring. And with regular check ups from Absurd, you need never doubt your sanity again.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Talking to someone more insane than yourself is always reassuring. And with regular check ups from Absurd, you need never doubt your sanity again.
    All joking aside he is one of the sanest people here. But I have learned, thru therapy, to use humor and not take things too serious. My personality shattered at a young age. It has taken years to put it back together. I use the tools therapy has taught me and I am no longer on psychiatric medication due to my therapist and psychiatrist being compassionate and empathic people. In my situation medication is not the best line of defense, talk is. Lots of talking....

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Psychiatry is used for the wrong things.

It should be used for depression, excessive risk taking, inattentiveness. Instead the preference of the medical profession is to apply drugs instead of using psychiatry to provide solutions.

It should also only be used in clear cut cases, most cases of ADHD I've heard of could be rsolved with more robust parenting.
    Hmmm, If people knew how to recognize each others PoLR and respect it (even in children) there would be fewer reasons to declare someone crazy. Ugh I am making a small case for socionics here. I should get some help quick.

YWIMW

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Did you get the money in the mail, for your services, yet? I guess I could just reach over this table we are having a drink (on the beach) on and hand you the money.
    Oh I did, $200,000. I have no background in psychology/psychiatry but still charge big monies for my services.

Cause we are in Califloridia together. Hold me, I want to coddle you.
    Was it California or Florida? Still not certain as to whether I conjured one up in my drunken haze, and I wouldn't want to mislead people.

Oi, you twat, keep me on PERMANENT ignore or I FEck you up. Besides, I don't really know how come IEI are not total fucking nutters. Hey, even Socionics is against them.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All joking aside he is one of the sanest people here. But I have learned, thru therapy, to use humor and not take things too serious. My personality shattered at a young age. It has taken years to put it back together. I use the tools therapy has taught me and I am no longer on psychiatric medication due to my therapist and psychiatrist being compassionate and empathic people. In my situation medication is not the best line of defense, talk is. Lots of talking....
    I know. He just has an axe to grind.
    Talking trumps medication any day of the week.

Hmmm, If people knew how to recognize each others PoLR and respect it (even in children) there would be fewer reasons to declare someone crazy. Ugh I am making a small case for socionics here. I should get some help quick.
    Is there anything crazy about Te-PoLR though?
    Never make a case for Socionics, because you'll never be able to close it.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I know. He just has an axe to grind.
    Talking trumps medication any day of the week.

Is there anything crazy about Te-PoLR though?
    Never make a case for Socionics, because you'll never be able to close it.

Maybe it would look crazy if ignoring mail until it reaches the ceiling and your power is shut off because you could not get yourself together long enough to check the deadlines. Thank goddess for duals and activators.

Heh, it's not that bad though. I can get mobilized when I need to... aren't IEI always ready for some action? I organized a group to help this woman have her power turned back on because she couldn't pay the bill but I lost my power once because I couldn't open the bill. I suppose in extreme it does look crazy if someone is all alone in this world, like she was, and unable to motivate herself. I don't know what her PoLR was but something was up because she did not want anyone to touch her mail but she wanted some help and asked me for it. She had no problem reading it though. I almost went crazy trying to sort her stuff out. I literally gave up and put it in the hands of god, i.e. I called a local church and begged for help on her behalf and washed my hands of it. I may be agnostic but I know where to turn when I can't help someone. A church or a psychiatrist. Let them deal with it. My patience is not limitless.

YWIMW

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it would look crazy if ignoring mail until it reaches the ceiling and your power is shut off because you could not get yourself together long enough to check the deadlines. Thank goddess for duals and activators.

Heh, it's not that bad though. I can get mobilized when I need to... aren't IEI always ready for some action? I organized a group to help this woman have her power turned back on because she couldn't pay the bill but I lost my power once because I couldn't open the bill. I suppose in extreme it does look crazy if someone is all alone in this world, like she was, and unable to motivate herself. I don't know what her PoLR was but something was up because she did not want anyone to touch her mail but she wanted some help and asked me for it. She had no problem reading it though. I almost went crazy trying to sort her stuff out. I literally gave up and put it in the hands of god, i.e. I called a local church and begged for help on her behalf and washed my hands of it. I may be agnostic but I know where to turn when I can't help someone. A church or a psychiatrist. Let them deal with it. My patience is not limitless.
    Ah. You could be right there.

If action somewhere is suggested to us, we're up like a shot! I call the judicious types lazy because they're always relaxing while I storming round the house, waiting to get on with it. I periodically (but very rarely) have sorting out sessions which involves me looking like some kind of psycho sorting through old post like one possessed. Well, you were incredibly kind to help this woman, even if you passed the buck before the end. It's more than a lot of people would do. At least you now know that this problem is in the hands of an omnipotent and most importantly, omnipatient being.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast