Creepy-bg

Default Quakers (the entire religion)

TIM
    ILI ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Delta primarily. I have seen them around when I lived in PA. They are kinda stoic around outsiders though.

Edit: That is just an impression. I didn't read it.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

TIM
    ESFj E6 W9 TRI 420
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLE really great scam 10/10

TIM
    ILI ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

The Amish are fun when they go through their Rumspringa. They act like a bunch of wild betas on a mission.

I am trying to think of other religions that are similar to these two. I think Shakers are the same as Quakers or really close.

Edit: Shakers and Quakers are different.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg View Post
    "They based their message on the religious belief that "Christ has come to teach his people himself," stressing the importance of a direct relationship with God through Jesus Christ, and a direct religious belief in the universal priesthood of all believers.They emphasized a personal and direct religious experience of Christ, acquired through both direct religious experience and the reading and studying of the Bible.Quakers focused their private life on developing behavior and speech reflecting emotional purity and the light of God.

In the past, Quakers were known for their use of thou as an ordinary pronoun, refusal to participate in war, plain dress, refusal to swear oaths, opposition to slavery, and teetotalism – the opposition to alcohol." - from Wikipedia

I will add that George Fox, the founder, was very focused on rejection of religious trappings such as steeples, viewing them as idols. Simplicity was a product of rejecting things that distracted from the Light and individual purity. People who followed his radical views were harshly punished by religious leaders of his day.

I think there is less of a focus on renouncement of worldliness to perfect individual purity in today's church. I think there is more of a focus on tolerance.

The zealous self-denial of the early Quakers seems more LSI.

The more tolerant Quakers of today seem more EII.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k