Thread: SLI and explosive temperaments

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default SLI and explosive temperaments

I find that though SLI are generally relaxed, talking about their plans and what they are going to do, sometimes things that are received by their senses make them expload. For example, every time my SLI friend comes over when she hears the upstairs neighbor pace she mentions it by saying "that F****er is pissing me off. It sounds like what he's doing is walking from his bedroom to the livingroom and back and forth and I bet you he has hard wood floors that's why you can hear him. What is he fat or something? Some kind of a f***ing Mexican." Yeah, she can have racist remarks and doesn't hesitate to get in someone's face if they rub her the wrong way or say things that make her mad. I am much calmer and much more social conscious. I take into mind that people are old or that they are my neighbors so I want to preserve a sense of unity and community so I look at the big picture and don't voice a lot of minor annoyances.

Any thing you want to add?
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 06-03-2014 at 11:01 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I think this explosive anger is more typical of Se-creatives. In this example, I'm wondering if you're seeing things opposite-quadra perhaps, and that this might be an example of LSI anger.

In fact, this reminds me of an old thread by DJ from 2011, ISTjs feeling anger and irritation.

In that thread you posted this:

Which I think is a bit of a contradiction to your viewpoint now, at least, showing that Introverts do indeed show their anger and don't always hold it in. Which is good if your viewpoint has changed this way.

Just my 2cents. I don't flip out over stupid stuff like that either, and I'm not sure it's type-related. Might just be someone with a short fuse and stressed about other things which causes them to snap over something little.
    I find LSI moodiness to be impromtu where SLI follows some action that their senses processed happening. YES SLI do get explosive sometimes
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought this read 'SLI and explosive armaments'

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

noticed something like this in my dad...

it's like pressure builds up in him and he starts diffusely emitting frustration in a noticeable way. at a certain point it starts ramping up more and he gets volatile.

it's actually not as abruptly explosive as it is in certain IJ types. myself, i'm completely calm until i hit a threshold, then i go out guns ablazing. like a step function of anger management. in SLI's you see it mounting more visibly.

i'd say my LSI brother is sort of overt and direct about his frustrations, so there isn't much of a parallel dynamic in him...

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Si gets butthurt.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Hmm I think I know what you mean, I've seen SLIs get noticeably tense when something is annoying their senses, it's like their whole body changes to reflect the inner pain, even their tone changes. Haven't seen them be verbally aggressive or physically explosive though but I imagine the potential is there, just as much as in an LSI. They do get more blunt when annoyed. It's probably as @labcoat said, that the pressure builds up gradually. It's almost like SLIs are a ticking time bomb, if you don't remove whatever's bothering them or give them the opportunity to remove it themselves within the given time, they go off.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really can only say, well, maybe sort of. My SLI husband says "Yes I will raise my voice now and again, its one of my few faults."[Note: other than this comment he is usually quite humble. LOL, he does have few faults though]. He continues, "I will call a spade a spade and an a---ole and a---ole" (LOL, also he swears a bit in private company and I do not ever; I complained once he is polluting my ear space). He continues that there are no holes in walls he ever punched, not has he ever harmed anyone or broken anything. So since I have lived with ESE and SLE who will do that, at least just short of harming others, and whose angry outbursts can at times be frightening that seems like explosive temperament to me and not at all like my SLI.

I would say he is LOUDER than me and he gets that complaint from me. A lot of times I say, "Shh, I am right next to you" when he is off pontificating on something. LOL, that's what I call it when he gets on a roll. I think its family though influence growing up. My family was quiet, and my SLI brother is not loud nor was my SLI Dad now passed. But when SLI husband gets together with his brother I just want to cover my ears sometimes when they are talking!

But that's not temper. My husband gets annoyed, and expresses it, but it does not last long. if I am not feeling of the same mood I might say, "That really annoys you, doesn't it?" or, "I am not bothered by that." I think the your friend's racist expression when annoyed might be how your friend grew up, what is normal to her, more than type.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    ...about their pland and what they arw going to do, sometimes things that are received by their senses make them expload...
    Admit it, you have been drinking, haven't you?
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Admit it, you have been drinking, haven't you?
    Lol no. I'm typing on a phone
    -

TIM
    EII sx/so
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, when they are mad, nothing stops them ime. When I fight with one, we get so mad at each other it is very hard to stop insults from flying. However, afterwards they feel so bad and as do I. It feels as if we have broken a personal boundary by hurting each other, and we try as best as we could to remain sensitive to the other. We have this mutual sympathy towards one another, and I am often surprised by how kind they can be to me.
    Sheesh but sometimes they are maddening to me, and vice versa. It's very hot and cold.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol no. I'm typing on a phone
    That doesn't explain "expload". A drink too many would...
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLIs can be very reactionary, especially if they are w/8s

I think it can stem from unhealthy relationships with other people, and a sense of interference with their peace or desired level of inertness. If you present them with situations they don't want to hear, or things they find "unpleasant", they can be quite cranky.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

SLIs can be explosive when they're hangry.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that though SLI are generally relaxed, talking about their plans and what they are going to do, sometimes things that are received by their senses make them expload. For example, every time my SLI friend comes over when she hears the upstairs neighbor pace she mentions it by saying "that F****er is pissing me off. It sounds like what he's doing is walking from his bedroom to the livingroom and back and forth and I bet you he has hard wood floors that's why you can hear him. What is he fat or something? Some kind of a f***ing Mexican." Yeah, she can have racist remarks and doesn't hesitate to get in someone's face if they rub her the wrong way or say things that make her mad. I am much calmer and much more social conscious. I take into mind that people are old or that they are my neighbors so I want to preserve a sense of unity and community so I look at the big picture and don't voice a lot of minor annoyances.

Any thing you want to add?
    this is amazing. an SLI can be explosive. i did't presume that lol.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah they can be spazzy and then not want to talk about it afterwards. Nothing is ever their doing, ime.

TIM
    Delta NF
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. I don't think I've ever been on the receiving end of or a witness to my SLI friend's anger/frustration, which is remarkable because we've known each other for almost 10 years. When I think of someone 'exploding' I think of someone yelling, slamming doors, or throwing things, which I can't imagine her ever doing. I get the sense from what she's told me that when she gets frustrated or stressed out like she sometimes does with work, she is cold and blunt with the person or just leaves. After she'd process it alone for a while, she'd call someone to vent.

I'm not sure if this is more of a gender thing. Maybe male SLIs express anger in a more aggressive way like cursing or yelling.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

SLI are not agressive, in common.
    Drugs and mental issues may affect behavior.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    SLI are not agressive, in common.
    Drugs and mental issues may affect behavior.
    SLis as all types LSE also will respond with aggressiveness under certain circumstances. This may happen. But the approach is not aggressive I see a more aggressive approach with SLE and LSI, also LIEs, SEEs and SEIs have this more aggressive approach in general.
    Both SLI and LSE have in Id block so it is very strong when it erupts.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

@Sol yes not.aggressive but emotionally volatile
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

The swimmer Michael Phelps is SLI and I was reading an article about him in Spots magazine that talked about him being easily irritated. I think instead of volatile I will call it irritation
    -

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, I went liking a few of the posts in this thread thinking it was recent. Sorry guys...

But yeah, I have a very short fuse and almost zero patience and can come across really harsh at times.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Oh man, I went liking a few of the posts in this thread thinking it was recent. Sorry guys...

But yeah, I have a very short fuse and almost zero patience and can come across really harsh at times.
    My SLI husband, too, can have a somewhat short fuse, and loudly complains, but it doesn't phase anyone who knows him. He has never in his life name-called (as in "You___"), or thrown anything, or broke anything when he gets mad. It just doesn't go deep. Or last long. And its not anywhere near lethal.

My ex had a short fuse but I was constantly on eggshells because it was a whole 'nother matter.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband is pretty calm in general, but gets pretty angry certain situations, e.g. in traffic. Or, he seems to, and I know a part of him is actually angry, but there sre some times when I think (and he confirmed, chuckling when I said it) that a part of him kind of enjoys the experience of getting irritated and then cursing at other drivers, in a way.
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Hi @sapphire
    -

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSIs will be forcefully angry. SLIs just have emotional meltdowns that should be steered clear from.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post

But we love you anyway
    -

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, my wife is an SLI and while she doesn't have an explosive personality she becomes very quiet when she's murderous.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!