Thread: External orientation of Socionics types

Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    100 Post(s)
    3 Thread(s)

Default External orientation of Socionics types

Here's a bit of armchair theorising for you all to think about.

I ordered the information elements based on externality with the idea that was the most external element and was the most internal element and proceeded to distribute remaining elements in equal distance until the table was filled.

I then distributed a score to each element based on their level of presence in the four valued positions according to a weighting. (100% broken down into 40% for the base, 30% for the creative, 20% for the mobilising and 10% for the suggestive.)

The score of each type was added up bit by bit to form a total decimal score out of 200, with the idea that no type is completely externally or internally oriented. The score was also expressed as a percentage next to the decimal score.

I don't think the calculations necessarily cover new ground, but seeing the information expressed this way reveals a few things that were less obvious.

• The more external a type is, the more internal their dual is; and so
    • Duals have an even polarity, all the other relations do not.
    • The two base types (ISFp, ISTp) have a greater level of externality than the two base types (ENTp, ENFp). Reinin theorised in his book that ISFp and ISTp were the two most external introtims and that their introverted features had more to do with monitoring the condition of their minds and bodies than stereotypical introspection. He perhaps phrases this in a way that might irk ISFp and ISTps.
    • Collectively, all quadra externality scores add up to the same value (that is, 562.36), so collectively, no full quadra is more or less external than any other, only the levels of the individual types differ.

Any interesting trends that I've missed? Do you find this information to coincide with your experience?

(I'm also happy to send over the file to anyone that wants to tweak the mathematics, as I'm sure someone will probably disagree with the method I used to assign values or the ordering of the information elements. Just PM me.)

Interesting that ISTps and ENFjs are almost exactly matched when it comes to externality. Being conflictors, you'd think there'd be a greater difference.

Also interesting that ENTps and ISFps are right next to each other. I remember reading somewhere that the ENTp/ISFp duality lines up very simply, maybe this is why.